Author Topic: Medal presented by Ernest Jardine MP + additional photo (new)  (Read 15182 times)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medal presented by Ernest Jardine MP
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 October 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

I honestly don't know I don't have anything, you could try Notts Archive they might be able to help.

Welcome to RootsChat, and good luck with your search.

Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline jangar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 October 08 01:40 BST (UK) »
thanks for that I'll check it out. 

Offline crankyvet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Reading from an article in my family tree (The Fletcher house of lace)  it states amongst other things that Ernest Jardine was a Liberal-Unionist Member for East Somerset 1910-1918. Other distinctions: Chevalier of the Legion of Honour; High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire 1929-1930; and Justice of the Peace for the City of Nottingham.
Its also mentioned that he was one of the earliest members and a past amateur player for Nottingham Forest. He was also a president of the club for over 30 years.
I hope this is of some help, the medal may be related to one of the above.Good luck cuz.
Fletcher,Flecher,Kent,Hooton,Annert,Woodward, Smith,Spicer,Livingstone,Archer,Deslandes.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cuz,

Firstly welcome to Rootschat, I hope it is as good to you as it has been to me!

Thank you for your information, the Forrest connection I didn't know, so it will fill in another piece of the jigsaw!!

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline crankyvet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 November 08 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Copperbeech5, hope this helps fill in a few more piece's of the puzzle for you.
More details relating to John Jardine,Baronet( 1825-95) and his son Ernest.
 Their first home was in the precincts of The Park, an oasis-like retreat in the very heart of Nottingham industry, that housed three generations of this family almost continuously.

John Jardine parted company with Stephen Bates (John and Stephen Bates built lace machines together at their factory in Grant Street,New Radford, and we also know that he married Julia Foster).About 1872 when, needing more space,he acquired a factory in Raleigh Street where an engineer named Hooton became his partner.
Incidentally, a few years later- 1879 to be exact-his son Ernest, with a Mr Ball as partner, established a cycle works in Raleigh Street also, but output ceased there in the early 'eighties.

Ernest Jardine (1861-1947)
When Ernest, son of John and Julia Jardine, was born at Nottingham in 1861, a sound education, with a knowledge of languages,was recognized as a prime necessity by thoughtful industrialists of the day.
The advantages of such a course was plain to John Jardine so, stage by stage, his son's education began, continued and was complated at Mr Gregory Porter's Preparatory School, Balmoral Road; the Nottingham High School; and the Lycee Imperiale, St. Omer.   

Attainments garnered from these seats of learning, reinforced by ten years (1884-1894) practical managerial experience, were valuable assets when, in his early 'thirties, he assumed control of John Jardine Ltd. in 1894 in the stead of his father.
The many responsibilities that ensued were courageously borne for over fifty years and, in the bearing,he served his fellows faithfully. His services were many and varied.

One of his most generous actions was to buy Glastonbury Abbey andsubsequently hand it over to the Church of England.
 He was also created a Baronet in 1919 when his public services and philanthropy were so recognized.

I hope this information fills in a few more of those annoying little gaps for you.
Crankyvet.
Fletcher,Flecher,Kent,Hooton,Annert,Woodward, Smith,Spicer,Livingstone,Archer,Deslandes.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 November 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crankyvet,

You have been busy, thank you so much for all that wealth of information! 

All your info is fascinating, but I am still so puzzled about this medal.  What was the connection between the two chaps?   I have a sneaking feeling that the Dairyman's association plays a part in this..... but as yet I don't know how!

Thanks again,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 August 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've found references to Sir Ernest Jardine helping to set up the Quaker Lace Company in Kensington ,Philadelphia in 1894 they installed 108 Nottingham lace looms

Cheers  Fellsman

Offline Red_Fred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leonard Skinner and Mary Jane Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
What an interesting thread this is.

On the football front:-

(1) Sir Ernest Jardine was president of the Nottinghamshire Football Association from 1904 until 1947
He was presented with a "Valued Services" Award in 1924.

(2) W. R. Lymbery was the first secretary of the Nottinghamshire Football Association serving from its foundation in 1882 until 1887.

(3) "Notts Jardines" won the Nottinghamshire Football Association Junior Challenge Cup in 1903

On the factory front, as a Meadows lad born and bred, several family members and neighbours were employed at Jardine's.  I believe it was a good firm to work for.

KRs
Malc

Shropshire - Fox, Davies, Jones, Hotchkiss, Downing, Pickering, Ratcliffe, Cooper, Hallgate, Tilley, Binnell, Owen, Egerton, Sandford, Hazelwood, Sadler
Nottingham - Skinner, Fox, Dickenson, Taylor, Clarke,
Newark - Clarke, Bilton
Newton par. Shelford - Skinner, Dickenson, Whyley, Wilson, Warren
Bethnal Green and Shoreditch - Dickenson
Denbighshire - Jones, Roberts
Lincolnshire - Tindall

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Malc,

Thanks for your imput all info greatly appreciated. Where then was the factory situated? 

As a Meadows chap, what era does your Meadows life cover? (If you don't mind me asking!)

Very best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Leighton - Derbyshire.