Author Topic: British Home Children to Nova Scotia  (Read 14539 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Children to Nova Scotia
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra!  ;D I saw that marriage & death, but there were so many other Joseph Hamptons.  How did you confirm those are the same Joseph? ( I had seen an 1893 Sunderland birth for a Joseph )
Can you see the rest of the family in the next census? There is already a pauper Mary Ann 1901 Wolverhampton.  Did you see any of the other children anywhere 1911 on?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline warwick16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 July 21 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,  JJ
I have just come across these posts on the 'British Home Children In Nova Scotia' and searches for Clara and Harriet Hampton. My mother Amy Hampton would have been a distant cousin of the two girls Clara and Harriet. I have been researching the various parts of the family for the last 20 years. I have recently made contact with a number of other researchers in the last year who have helped in finalising what happened to the two girls. They were the children of John Hampton (1870-1901) and Mary Ann Drayford (1871-1951). John and his family worked on the canals as did his father Absalom and his grandfather William before him. John died in in 190l and the family got into difficulties. Clara and Harriet were taken into care and passed on to the Middlemore Children's Home. A picture exists of their departure to the the Fairview Home in Nova Scotia, Canada. Their brother, Joseph was placed in a Dr Barnardo's Home. He eventually ended up in Newcastle on Tyne and worked as a Waterman for the Tyne Commission. Eliza their eldest sister is tracked to London and marries an Australian Soldier.
Eliza sailed out to Australia with her new son after her husband was demobbed. Unfortunately she died in 1920. To end quickly, I have been in touch with David Smith, the son of Harriet (Hampton) and Ernest Bayne Smith Bayne Smith. Pleased to pass on further information or contact researchers who have posted on this forum in the past.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
   Welcome to Rootschat, warwick16.   My notification had been turned off for this topic, sorry. Happens sometimes when the site gets busy. Below is a link to the Home Children Database. Scroll down past all the distractions, ads & such and you'll see at the bottom you can enter a surname to search for.  If there is nothing about the children you, or other researchers can enter their data.
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=1#top_data

My goodness but people must have trouble finding information with everything so irrelevant & busy at the top visible part of the page.  I guess ads are necessary to keep the site running, but I'd think there was nothing valid to see if I came upon these pages from an outer source.

adding: Just checked and I see you have them with ship entries only... if you want to enter more about them here is a link
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-add.php?dbsig_num=1#top_data
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline warwick16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 September 21 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ
Thanks very for the reply and information. I will give it a go.