Author Topic: British Home Children to Nova Scotia  (Read 14536 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Children to Nova Scotia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 August 08 16:43 BST (UK) »
That is too bad...oh, well, stuff happens...and all will be here once you get back on track... Let us know when you have it all sorted!
 :D J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 August 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
I had a look at Australia Recordsearch, and found a John Felix Bull, whose wife is listed as Mary Helen. He died in 1919.

The name of his wife seems to be changed around a lot. At least once (page 21), she is listed as Helen Mary Bull (then residing in Brixton, England).

Page 27 has the marriage certificate! Dated 15 October 1917, at Christ Church, North London, Helen Mary Hampton, father John Hampton (dec.), hotel-keeper, m. John Felix Bull. He says he is a bachelor.

There are a few mentions (i.e. page 73, page 76 which is hand-written by her) of his widow, her address being c/o "Mrs Smith".  She appeared to be at that address in 1922, asking about his war medals, etc, but they later could not find her (and wrote to John's mother asking for a new address for her).

There's lots of details of page 7 about various changes of next of kin.  His wife is listed as 'M E' as well as 'M H' and I can see an address in Weymouth and maybe one in Kent for her?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 August 08 02:29 BST (UK) »
Awesome, jorose! You're good!  ;D J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 August 08 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Your blood is worth bottling, you are not only awesome, you are down right WONDERFUL and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You have given me a wealth of information, can I please beg one more favour? Could you please tell me how to get onto this Australian Recordsearch. The only one I was aware of was The Nat. Archives but there is only one file on there for John Felix Bull and it's not avaiable to view on the net. Also, that particular gentleman was born in Newcastle, NSW, Australia.

All the information you have fits with the little we know about Helen Mary, I wouldn't be surprised if  the Mrs Smith referred to is her. The Frank Smith she married in 1924 was a sailor and he obviously got around.

I am actually doing this research for a friend, he is a Grandson of Helen Mary and Frank Smith, but I don't think he will be as excited by your information as I am.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Regards,
Tissy ;D :D :D ;D

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 August 08 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Before you scratch your head and wonder just what sort of idiot you are dealing with, please accept my humble apologies. I have just gone back into the Nat. Archives record search and had a proper look and this time I found the digital copy that you were refering to.
The only thing that I can possibly say in my defence is that I was so excited when I opened up all your information, that the brain was not functioning as quickly as the eyes or the fingers. I am definitely feeling like a "silly old moo".

Thank you so much once again Jorose.
A very embarrassed, humbled Tissy. ::) :-[

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 August 08 17:49 BST (UK) »
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2745140
No details other than rank & infantry for John Felix Bull...not even an age   :'(   J.J.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know you aren't looking for this, but here was his age at enlistment, as an Illawarra Volunteer -  age 30 in 1916, occupation bootmaker...( says he was single at time of enlistment)
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~viv/volunteers/b.htm

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 August 08 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.,

Thanks for that. I have had a ball looking through his file that Jorose found, he appears to have been a bit of a lad. I have also found his birth in Newcastle, NSW in1886 # 29416, Father Frederick, Mother Mary. I have found a marriage of a John F Bull to an Elizabeth Gilchrist in Sydney in 1915, could be him as there is only one John F Bull listed in the births and the marriages, it wouldn't surprise me.
Having read the file thoroughly I have the feeling that I may have finally found the elusive Helen Mary Hampton. As I said previously I have been unable to find a trace of her birth, however the oldest child of John Hampton and Mary Drayford was Mary Ellen Hampton b Wolverhampton Sept.1/4 1891. (The Ellen is after John's Mother, sounds like Helen doesn't it).  Her age as stated at her marriage to John Bull in 1917 was 24 which almost fits with Mary Ellen's. The age she gives on her marriage to Frank Smith 7 years later on 3rd Dec. 1924 is 27, it does not compute. The age given on her death on 12th July 1958 is 58. Me thinks she may have told a few porkies.

A lot more work to do here but now, thanks to you guys, I have many more leads. Helen Mary, Mary helen, Mary E., appears to have been living with her future Mother In Law  here in NSW in 1922 so that narrows down the search time but I still can't find her coming over. I will have to see if I can get the ships manifest for the Katoomba, the ship that carried John back to Australia in Sept. 1919 and see if perchance she was allowed to accompany him.

Thank you all once again for all your amazing help, I haven't forgotten about the BHC to Australia, when I can clear the decks just a little I will see what I can find this end.
Many Many Thanks.
Regards,
Tissy :)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 August 08 22:44 BST (UK) »
Perhaps someone can do a lookup for you if they have a subscription to the site
An M.E. Hampton from London to Sydney Australia in 1908 age unknown...
There as also an unknown first name age unknown in 1908...
and a very large number of unknown ages & first names under other surnames
 in 1908 between same ports...so it would be worth looking into
http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 August 08 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi J. J.,

Thanks for that, I have a subscription to Findmypast and I have been through it time and again, looking under Hampton, Bull & Smith but to no avail. From the Nat Archives file we now know that Mary was in Brixton in 1917 when she married John and that she was (presumably) residing with her future Mother In Law "Mrs Smith", here in 1922, so sometime between those years is when she must have come out here.
I am just about to ring the Australian War Memorial to ask them if by any chance Mary would have been able to accompany John back here on the "Katoomba" in 1919. If she did, that would explain why she doesn't appear on outward shipping from the UK or any Inward Passenger Lists that I have been able to find here.
Thanks once again for all your help, I'll let you know what I find.

Regards,
Tissy :) :)