Author Topic: Cabrach  (Read 80336 times)

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cabrach
« on: Thursday 07 August 08 11:01 BST (UK) »
I am doing a single parish study of the genealogy of Cabrach which was split between Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. Anyone with links to this parish please get in touch (with requests or with information).
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cabrach
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'd be interested in comparing notes - I have bits and pieces that may be of use (some better researched than others), but I suspect you've probably got most of it already. Give me a shout anyway.

N
Cabrach

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 08 22:44 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather was a James Gordon, son of Isabella McDonald and John Gordon born in Gaugh or is it Gauch or Daugh in 1895. How do you pronounce this place name?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 08 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Wilma

See all this new found knowledge I now have on Cabrach down to your James Gordon  ;)

Stuart, I'm sure you have come across this link already but for Wilma's benefit in case she hasn't.  threestones, not connected to this site are you  ::) given that it carries your user name?!

www.threestones.co.uk/books/index.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's my site - a little hobby that I can put down/pick up when I've got the time
Cabrach

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 09:43 GMT (UK) »
A little hobby  ::)...that's a massive amount of work you have done - well done you!

Monica 

PS: Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the link Monica have just looked at some of the content. I have now sorted out some of Granda's roots. It has been an interesting journey. Still some searching to do. My sister in law and I all being well are proposing to make a trip there next summer. it is so strange but reading about the Cabrach is bringing back memories and names places and people that I must have heard in my childhood as they seem so familiar. Its a pity I did not listen more :-))
regards Wilma

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about the pronunciation of Gauch (Gaich, Geach). Threestones is the man to answer that since his people are still in the Cabrach.
Your grandfather James Gordon was the illegit son of James Gordon, an ag. lab at Greenlone, and Isabella McDonald domestic servant.  I don't know which James Gordon was the father, but his signature does appear on the birth certificate.
5 yr-old James appears in the 1901 census at Gauch with his maternal grandmother Beatrix (more commonly Elizabeth) Gordon. Her daughter Isabella McDonald (b 18 May 1869 at Gauch) was one of 2 illegitimate children she had with a John McDonald who was resident at Largue in 1856 when the first child James was born.
Elizabeth Gordon (10 Mar 1835 - 21 Jan 1918) was one of 3 children born at Gauch to Alexander Gordon & Elizabeth McDonald (married 1832 in Cabrach). She died at Largue.
Elizabeth McDonald born 6th Jul 1799 at Cromdale, Moray, died 31st Mar 1890 at Gauch.
Alexander Gordon b 8th Jul 1786 at Gauch, died 2nd Jul 1878 at Gauch. One of 10 children to John Gordon (died 27 Jul 1813 age 70) & Isobel Scott (died 1818 age 71). Most of their children were born at Gauch, but the first, in 1765 was at Alduny, which is probably where Isobel Scott was born. She was a daughter of Alexander Scott and Anna Henry, and Alexander was  the son of John Scott the 7x gt-grandfather of "Threestones". You are probably also directly related to me, since I have Scott and Henry ancestors in Cabrach.
All the placenames mentioned apart from Greenlone are in Upper Cabrach, traditionally the Aberdeenshire part of the parish.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all this. I have only just started researching my Gordon connections. My mother was a Gordon. My granda lived with us on and off when I was young but I moved away from home when I was sixteen and I was out of touch with my Gordon relations. I am very grateful for all the help I have been given just found this site by trawling through the Internet and its been great.
I find family history fascinating but it is so time consuming, thank goodness for the pc. i am uploading a photo of granda i do not know why he is in the Seaforths and not the Gordons, I imagine it must be in WW1.
Hello to a new found relation by the way.
regards Wilma