Author Topic: Cabrach  (Read 80439 times)

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cabrach
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 23 July 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

service in the Upper Cabrach Kirk is set for 3pm on Sunday 20th August 2017. All welcome.

cheers,
N
Cabrach

Offline LindyLoops

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
I am doing a single parish study of the genealogy of Cabrach which was split between Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. Anyone with links to this parish please get in touch (with requests or with information).

My g g grandfather George Watt claimed his place of birth as Chapel of Garioch.  Could this equate to Cabrach? Unfortunately, his death certificate claimed his parents' names were unknown. Various details with dates and names have me wondering if the George Watt born in Cabrach to Isobel Clark/Clerk and George Watt 11 March 1810 might in fact be him.  Do you have available any further details of this particular George Watt and what became of him? Perhaps his origins will continue to elude ... Thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 27 July 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
My g g grandfather George Watt claimed his place of birth as Chapel of Garioch.  Could this equate to Cabrach?
I think that is pretty unlikely. 'Garioch' is pronounced like 'geary' so there is little chance of the two parishes being confused.

But the only way to prove it with certainty would be if you found a death certificate for the one born in Cabrach.

Is your George Watt the one who died in Waimate, New Zealand in 1876? It looks as if he was in Drumagrain, Inveravon in 1851 with wife Elizabeth and three children.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 30 July 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Chapel of Garioch is a different area to the Cabrach - if you check Google Maps you'll see it's near Inverurie (and about 25 miles from the Cabrach).

Don't know specifically about your ancestors but it's a bit of a stretch maybe to link the two without more to go on.

Regards,
N
Cabrach

Offline Susan Nangle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been following this thread with great interest. My ancestors were Alexander Forbes and Barbara Thomson, who married in Gartly, Cabrach 5 September 1811. They were farmers at Inverharroch from approx 1800 to 1836. Three children were born at Inverharroch, Cabrach, Banff - William Forbes 1812, Barbara Forbes 1814 and Margaret Forbes in 1817. The three children emigrate to Tasmania, Australia in 1836 to sort out a property inheritance left to them by Alexander Forbes' brother William. I do not know what happened to Alexander and Barbara who were my 3 x great-grandparents. I hope you can help. Regards, Susan

Offline Philippa10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Monday 16 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

some years ago my Brother Michael was corresponding with you about family gealogies in the Cabrach. He shared info with me, as he knew I was similarly interested.  My brother died in 2015, and I am trying to continue with his work.  Any help much appreciated.  I spent my childhood in Craigellachie, father's family were in the Cabrach area for some centuries. I found a message from Michael on RootsChat where he says that although we appear to be related to all the Cabrach families,  he is still mystified as to where/when the first Scotts appeared, and why.
Father's sister Annie had a story that seven Scott brothers came north to fight in a battle (it's always seven, or three, in stories, or so it seems !).
I have admired Stuart Petrie's researches, and also ThreeStones.
Philippa10

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 16 August 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been following this thread with great interest. My ancestors were Alexander Forbes and Barbara Thomson, who married in Gartly, Cabrach 5 September 1811. They were farmers at Inverharroch from approx 1800 to 1836. Three children were born at Inverharroch, Cabrach, Banff - William Forbes 1812, Barbara Forbes 1814 and Margaret Forbes in 1817. The three children emigrate to Tasmania, Australia in 1836 to sort out a property inheritance left to them by Alexander Forbes' brother William. I do not know what happened to Alexander and Barbara who were my 3 x great-grandparents. I hope you can help. Regards, Susan

Hi,

apologies - haven't looked at this thread in some time - there were quite a lot of Forbes in the Cabrach at one point but it's a name that seems to have disappeared. I think they may well have moved out to some of the neighbouring areas, maybe down towards Huntly but I'd need to poke around a bit more to see properly.

Regards,
Neil
Cabrach

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 16 August 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

some years ago my Brother Michael was corresponding with you about family gealogies in the Cabrach. He shared info with me, as he knew I was similarly interested.  My brother died in 2015, and I am trying to continue with his work.  Any help much appreciated.  I spent my childhood in Craigellachie, father's family were in the Cabrach area for some centuries. I found a message from Michael on RootsChat where he says that although we appear to be related to all the Cabrach families,  he is still mystified as to where/when the first Scotts appeared, and why.
Father's sister Annie had a story that seven Scott brothers came north to fight in a battle (it's always seven, or three, in stories, or so it seems !).
I have admired Stuart Petrie's researches, and also ThreeStones.
Philippa10

Hi,

if I've got it right you're a Scott from the Milton ? (In which case we've got a shared history way back).

I suspect you've got the same problem I do - I can push my history as far back as there are easily available family history records for and I know (from scraps of info that turn up in older manuscripts) that we were in the Cabrach many years before that but so far the full story remains out of reach.

I keep mining for little nuggets of information - if I ever hit the motherlode I'll let you know  8)

Regards,
Neil
Cabrach

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 16 August 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

service in the Upper Cabrach Kirk is set for 3pm on Sunday 19th August 2018. All welcome.

cheers,
N
Cabrach