Author Topic: Cabrach  (Read 80334 times)

Offline jobucoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cabrach
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you can help me.  I am an Englishman trying to help my Welsh brother-in-law trace his Scottish ancestors.
His gtgt grandfather was John Watt born 29 Aug 1821 in Cabrach, his wife was Annie Brodie c1835, place unknown.  John Watt had 5 siblings:-
Margaret  c1818, possibly married James Jessiman.
Janet  c1822
Beulvin  c1831 (name as appears on Ancestry)
Helen  c1833
Mary  c1835
If you could help with any information we would be very grateful.
Roy

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but I know of no John Watt born 29 Aug 1821. The Margaret Watt who married James Jessiman was bapt 27 Jul 1816, daur of James Watt & Margaret Kellas. She had 13 known siblings including the 4 present at the 1841 census at Nether Ardwell in Lower Cabrach - Beatrix 1829, Helen 1832, Mary 1834 (who was with the Jessimans in 1851) and John 30th Nov 1818 (enumerated as age 20, rounded and not actually specified as son of the widow Margaret Kellas).
According to a transcription of a grave at Wallakirk, in next-door Glass parish, John the son of James W and Margaret Kellas died in 1847. Alternatively, according to the diary of John Taylor, John the son of the late James Watt died 26th April 1840 at Nether Ardwell.
Looking at IGI results for birth of John Watt in 1821 in Scotland, the nearest I can see is birth 19 Aug in Cathcart, Renfrewshire.
In the 1851 census at Haremire, Kinnethmont parish in Aberdeenshire there is a 28yr-old John Watt, unmarried ag lab, born Cabrach Banffshire who I have NOT identified.
I cannot find a marriage John Watt to Annie Brodie, even on Scotlandspeople using J* Wat* & Ann* Brod*.

Could you give more info? Where did you get the birth date? Marriage details?
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline jobucoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 December 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your very full reply.
The birth date, 29 Aug 1821, was written in a family bible, when written I don't know.
I traced John Watt back through the Welsh census returns, on all of them it just says born in Scotland.
I found the 1851 entry, on Ancestry, that you mention and hoped the 1841 census might be his family but obviously not.
I am afraid I have no information about their wedding.
Thank you again for the time and effort that you have put in.
Roy

Offline millies son

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 December 08 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I think you found another distant relative. I too have just resumed digging into "The Gordons" now that Scotlands People have made more censuses etc accessible.
My great grandfather, Peter Gordon was living in Gauch in 1851 and 1861 with his brother John Gordon as the 'Head' of the family, his father, John, being deceased by then. Beatrix Gordon was aged 30 in 1861, also living with them.
Also in the house were Margaret simpson aged 17 - niece of John, and Peter McWilliam, aged 11 in 1861 , nephew of John
My greatgrandfather, Peter, was born in 1833 and married in 1871 to an Elsie Milne at Glenlivet.
There is a parish record from 01.06.1833 which says that on May 26th 1833 John Gordon and Jean Forbes had a son in Guach baptised and named Peter. Witnesses were Peter Gordon and Alexander Gordon.

Anything you can tell me other than the above would be very interesting.
I don't understand what is "The Gauch". Is it one house/farm/croft, or a group of houses/village? There seem to be an awful lot of Gordons there.
Have you seen the photographs of Gauch at www.flickr.com/photos/slackeratslack/2815416598/

Offline millies son

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 December 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Please see my message to mrsaird. My greatgrandfather was Peter Gordon of Gauch born 1833, died 1913 (I think).
Please tell us more about Gauch.

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 December 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Gauch is at the southern end of the habitable part of the Cabrach, sitting at the foot of the hills which separate the parish from Glenbucket and Towie to the south. Immediate neighbours were Reekimlane, Aldivalloch, Bowmans and Aldunie. Sitting at an altitude of 1150ft, the farm would have concentrated on sheep & cattle rather than crops.
John Gordon & Elspet Milne had 4 chilren at Geach 1738-1749, the first, John being at "Reckomlane of Geach". The mother is not named for the 1st 2, John & James 1738 & 1741.
John Gordon (b ca 1743) & Isobel Scott had children there 1768-1786.
His son John Gordon & Jean Forbes had children there 1813-1833.
Another son Peter had children at Reekimlane with Helen Lindsay.
Daughter Beatrix (1767-1864) married William Bain and had children at Poneed & Little Bracklach 1790-1810.
Another son Alexander Gordon (1786-1878) had 3 children at Gauch between 1833 & 1837 with Elizabeth McDonald. One daughter Isobel (1833-1913) married William Gordon of Largue and had 8 children at Gauch between 1852 & 1863 then 6 in Auchindoir parish. A son Alexander had 3 children at Gauch 1833-1837 with Helen Aird.
William Gordon (son of Jean Forbes) had 6 children with Helen McWilliam 1855-1865, the first at Aldivalloch, the rest at Gauch.
Alexander Gordon (son of Jean Forbes) had a son at Gauch in 1846 with Rebecca Walker, then 9 in Aberdeen 1850-1869.
Other lines of Gauch Gordons:
Isobel Gordon dr of Robert Gordon in Aldivalloch married an Adam Gordon 1759, had 4 children at Craigencat 1760-1765 then a further 7 at Gauch 1767-1782.
A Robert Gordon married Agnes Green of Leslie in 1759 and had 4 children at Gauch 1761-1766, then 1 at Tornichelt 1772.
Elizabeth Gordon & William McGregore/Gregore/Gregory had 4 children at Gauch 1748-55, then 2 at Tornichelt 1758-62.
The earliest records in the OPR are for the sons of John Grigor in 1724 & 1728.

The 1696 poll book has Peter Gordon & wife as tenants at Geach.

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 December 08 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this once more Stuart. I have now found out quite a bit of info regarding my Gordon ancesters. I have had an email from a Ian Gordon who is descended from the same family and he has kindly let me see his family tree. It has been so exciting and I never expected to find out so much in such a short time. Thanks for all your help. :)

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 January 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I am doing a single parish study of the genealogy of Cabrach which was split between Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. Anyone with links to this parish please get in touch (with requests or with information).

Good morning.....

Am doing similar study re neighbouring parish of Kildrummy, and are researching, amongst others,  two Scott families originating from Cabrach :

Alexander Scott/Mary Robertson - children so far Ann (1777) + Alexander (1778) + David (1789), and

James Scott/Jean Forbes - children found so far (Elizabeth (1779) + Alexander (1785) + James (1787).......

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 January 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
...... doing similar study re neighbouring parish of Kildrummy, and are researching, amongst others, two Scott families originating from Cabrach :
Alexander Scott/Mary Robertson - children so far Ann (1777) + Alexander (1778) + David (1789), and
James Scott/Jean Forbes - children found so far (Elizabeth (1779) + Alexander (1785) + James (1787).......
Ysabeau

Before answering your query, if you are responsible for the Kildrummyfamiles website then congratulations on a very nice job. My own interest in the Cabrach started through my father who was born at Mill of Kildrummy. His grandparents were George Duncan and Ann Coutts who had the mill and were both descended from Alexander Duncan b at Drywells, Cabrach in Feb 1788.

The Scotts have been in Cabrach from at least the mid-C17th, traditionally associated with Aldunie in the Upper Cabrach. The first mention I have found is of a John Scot at Aldeunie who was one of a group of 12 parishioners who appeared before the Alford presbytery in 1673 to complain about their minister.
I have been unable to work out who were the parents of James Scott/Jean Forbes. None of their 3 known children were in the babtismal register, but they all appear at Aldunie in the censuses. 2 children James & Elizabeth never married  and they lived together until Elizabeth's death 7th Nov 1858. James died a pauper 24 Jul 1867. Both deaths were at Aldunie.  The other son Alexander also lived at Aldunie from 1823 to 1871, and previously at Hillock. He married Isobel Stephen of Huntly in 1813 and had 9 children in Cabrach.

Alexander Scott b25 Sep 1748 at Aldunie, husband of Mary Robertson was one of 4 children born at Aldunie to Alexander Scott and Anna Hen(d)ry. Alexander sr is known to be the son of John Scot, probably the one mentioned in 1673. Mary Robertson's children were :
1:Ann Scott who married William Ronald 1803 - their son James married Janet Scott daur of Isobel Stephen above.
2:Alexander Scott who married 1806 Jean Forbes dr of William Forbes & Jean Laird
3: David Scott who married 1816 Elspet Seivright.

I have attached descendants reports for these people. My own Scott ancestor in the Cabrach was Isabel Scott who married James Ferrior in 1764. She had various Aldunie Scotts as baptismal witnesses for her children.