Author Topic: Union Workhouse, Ulverston, Lancashire  (Read 4788 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Union Workhouse, Ulverston, Lancashire
« on: Friday 08 August 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any records for the above workhouse.  One of my g.g.grandfather's brothers died there and I'd like to see any records to find out how he ended up there, apparently single aged about 43, when his 5 brothers who all married, seemed to be always in work and although obviously not well off, all brought up families and died in old age.

Lizzie

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Union Workhouse, Ulverston, Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 August 08 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there

According to http://www.workhouses.org.uk/ ........

Cumbria Record Office and Local Studies Library, Barrow hold Births register (1866-1948)
Deaths register (1866-1916)
Punishments register (1874-1923)

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 August 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

I should have said he was born in 1828 (bap 10.8.1828) and died in the workhouse on 3 Feb 1875.  I know the cause of his death, I just wondered whether any records were available for the workhouse.  He is the only brother who is not on any census after 1841, when he was on a census with his parents and siblings.  There is no trace of him after that until his death.

I'll try the Cumbria Record Office to see if they hold any records other than the ones you listed.

Lizzie

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi just browsing. Saw your comments. I'm wondering if anyone knows where workhouse inmates  burial would be in ulveston 1902. I'm looking for a Robert dodd. Age around 62. Any help would be appreciated.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
The previous census indicates he was married could he be buried where his wife was or the parish they lived in prior to his admission
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
The workhouse death registers referred to in reply #1, held at the Record Office, might well say where the individuals were buried.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. Not with his wife Sarah dodd. She is buried with her daughter and granddaughter. And son in law
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there was a burial ground at the workhouse for people who either had no family or whose family couldn't afford a burial.

My 2 x g.g.uncle was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Ulverston, 3 days after his death so I guess the family paid for his funeral.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 August 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Ulverston work house there admissions and other records were held in Barrow archives,I did access them quite afew years ago,drop them an email
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,