Author Topic: 1841 Census Wrexham - abbreviations, what do they mean?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 Census Wrexham - abbreviations, what do they mean?
« on: Wednesday 26 January 05 09:45 GMT (UK) »
A very kind person provided me with a lookup on the 1841 census for Wrexham but there are abbreviations on there that neither of us know what they mean.

Thomas Fegan, 30, Labourer, (Born of this parish - F)

And another

John Fegan 35, Hawker, (Born of this parish - I)

Anyone know what the F and I mean.
I would have thought that the answer was either Yes or No and all other members of the Fegan family are Yes or No except these two.

Any ideas appreciated!!
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Wrexham - abbreviations, what do they mean?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 23:53 GMT (UK) »
There are two questions about place of birth in the 1841 Census
Whether born in same county (not parish)
Whether born in Ireland Scotland or Foreign Parts

I suspect that I is for Ireland. If the F is clearly an F then it is Foreign parts, but in many old documents it is often difficult to distinguish between S and F, if its not clear then it could be Scotland

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Wrexham - abbreviations, what do they mean?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 05 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this - I suspected Ireland for both of them.  I can't see Scotland as being a possibility really, but you never know!
Thanks again for your time on this matter.
Claudia99
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford