Author Topic: Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)  (Read 12994 times)

Offline Tyke

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)
« on: Sunday 11 April 04 08:12 BST (UK) »
I am researching the LONG family history in Yorkshire and would be very interested in contacting others researching the same area.  

Here are some facts about my family.

The earliest reference I have is ROBERTE (or Robertus, or Robti) LONGE of Winsley Hall, Clint (near Ripley or Burnt Yates) who lived from about 1535 to 1607.  The main branch of the family lead down to ADMIRAL ROBERT LONG who founded Burnt Yates School in the 1760s.

I am descended from one of the later younger sons and the family had settled at Whipley Moor Farm at least by the time of THOMAS LONG (born 1731) whose son BARNABAS LONG (1764 to 1821) inherited Whipley Moor Farm and married ANN UMPLEBY.  The descendents of BARNABAS and ANN are now found all over the world.  BARNABAS and ANN are buried in the graveyard of the church at Ripley.

I am descended from the family of the second marriage of GEORGE LONG (the third son of BARNABAS).  CHARLES LONG came to Bradford in the 1840s and established himself as a Master Butcher.  CHARLES married ELIZABETH JORDAN and they had six children who survived to adulthood and started families of their own.

I am descended from CHARLES's third son JOHN LONG.

Offline Di2

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 04 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Tyke

I am also a descendant of Barnabas Long via his daughter Mary who married William Bayne in 1812.  William and Mary Bayne are also buried in Ripley churchyard, near to Barnabas Long's grave.  I also have records from Robert Long 1533/34 plus those of some of the female line marrying in.  I had always thought that Thomas Long was married to Ann Dousland (IGI) but have recently found out he was married to Jane Horsman, at least she was a second wife and mother of his children.  Do you know anything of this?
Look forward to an exchange of information.
Di2 :)

Offline woollens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 04 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Tyke,

I don't know if I can help, but I do know that in this kind of research, even seemingly irrelevant pieces of jigsaw can be useful. My information may not be from the same branch of your family.

I'm a descendant of Henry W. Long, who was General Manager of the Britannia Mills, Leeds, during some time in the late 19th century, and who lived in Yeadon, where we have a family "slot" of some kind in the churchyard. I have only been there once, 40 years ago. Henry Long's son (or could it be grandson?) Joseph Pullen Long was my grandfather, and he married Maud Bland, a daughter of a bank manager in Guiseley, some time before or near the start of the First World War. Their married life was in north London, where he was a school-teacher.

Currently I am not in the UK, but during the next few months, if you need, I can get more information from my father if necessary, since he has some documents relating to the inheritance of woollen mills, dating, I think, from 1720. I have never felt a personal need to delve into the family history because much of it seemed to be known already, although to what level of accuracy I am uncertain.

Best of luck on your quest.

Offline Tyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 04 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Di2

Thanks for this - this is really interesting.

The information I have is:

Robert Longe (1535 to 1607) married Ellene Hill and were the parents of:
William Longe (1567-?)
Robert Longe (1572-1579)
Xpoferus - probably Christopher - Longe (1578-?)
Gracie Longe (1579-?)
Hellena Longe (1580-?)
Katherin Longe (1581-1581)
Katherina Longe (1582-?)
Robert Longe (1583-?) who married Ann (birth name unknown)
Maria Longe (1584-?)
Matheus Longe (1586-1586)
Gracie Longe (1588-?)
Suzanna (1589-1591)

I think that Robert Longe had a brother William Longe (1540-1581) who married maudin or Margaret and has a son called William Longe born in 1564.

Robert Longe (1583-?) who married Ann (birth name unknown) had children:
Ellen Long (1606-?)
Christopher Long (1610-?) who married Rosamund Waddington

Christopher Long (1610-?) who married Rosamund Waddington has children:
6 unknown children
Robert Long (1636-?) who married Sarah Oates

Robert Long (1636-?) who married Sarah Oates and had the following child:
Robert Long (1664-?) who married Edith (birth name unknown)

Robert Long (1664-?) who married Edith (birth name unknown) and had the following children:
Barnabas Long (?-?) who married Lucy Rentford
Christopher Long (1701-1764) who married 4 times - Edith (birth name unknown), his cousin or niece Sarah Long (1705-1733), Mary Leeming (1711-1753) and Mary Spink (1730-?) who later married a man called Dean

Christopher Long (1701-1764) by wives other than Sarah had the following children:
Mary Long (1735-?)
Elizabeth Long (1737-?)
Christopher Long (1739-1739)
Christopher Long (1740-?)
Christopher Long (1754-?) who had a daughter Hannah (1775-?)
Robert Long (1758-?)
William Long (1762-?)

Christopher Long (1701-1764) by Sarah Long his cousin or niece had the following children:
Sarah Long (1726-?)
Elizabeth Long (1729-1730)
Thomas Long (1731-?) who married first Jane Horsman (?-?) and then Ann Douseland (?-1753)

Thomas Long (1731-?) who married first Jane Horsman (?-?) and then Ann Douseland (?-1753) had the following children:
Sarah Long (1751-1766)
Barnabas Long (1764-either 1811 or 1821) who married Ann Umpleby
Thomas Long (1786-?)

Barnabas Long [/b] (1764-either 1811 or 1821) who married Ann Umpleby (1768-1830) had the following children:
Ann Long (1784-1861) who married Richand Burrill (1782-1858)
Barnabas Long (1785-?) who married Mary Hutchinson
Godfrey Long (1788-?) who married Ann (birth name unknown)
Jane Long (1790-?)
Mary Long (1792-?) who married William Bayne
George Long (1793-1839) who is my ancestor who married firstly Elizabeth Lambert and then Elizabeth Reynard (1802-?) who then married a man named Clarke
Thomas Long (1795-1851) who married first Abigal (birth name unknown) and then Eleanor Rendle (1792-1872)
Unknown female (1797)
John Long (1788-?)
Christopher Long (1802-?)
Richard Long (1804-?)
Elizabeth Long (1806-?)
Francis Long (1809-?)
Sarah Long (1810-?)

I'm afraid that a lot of this has yet to be cross-checked.

I also have a lot of the information on the descendants of George Long.

Glad to share information with you - write soon

Tyke

Offline Tyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 04 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Woollens

Thanks for this.

As far as I know the Longs in Yeadon were established for a long while before my branch of the Longs moved away from Ripley - however I don't know this for certain (there are many Longs whose descendants I have yet to trace).  I would be very interested for any information you are able to share.

Are you related to the Henry Longs who have the transport business?

Look forward to hearing from you

Tyke

Offline woollens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 May 04 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tyke

I'll try to find out what I can. My father may be able to help but it will take some months - he's 88 and I'm often abroad. I know nothing of the transport Longs; I'm the last of a very small, mostly school-teaching, branch of the family. I was born in north London.

More when I have something. atb.

Offline Tyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 04 06:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Woollens

Much appreciated

Cheers

Tyke

Offline Di2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Tyke

Sorry I have been so long replying, its been very hectic at work.  I think my research ties in with yours.  I have to confess I got most of it from a lady who has been researching for 20 years.  I came across her while researching the Bayne family. She has sent me a lot of stuff including wills and information on some of the female lines marrying in.  I think it would be easier if I photocopied it and posted it to you as there is a lot and much of it on back to back file cards.  You may not wish to put your address on here so will put my email address if that's allowed.  Email address removed
Best wishes
Di2

Offline Tyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Di2

I've replied to your note directly by email but here's my email address so that's its available for anyone reading this topic:

email address removed no longer in use

Tyke