Author Topic: Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)  (Read 12951 times)

Offline RAF wife

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyke.

I don't know if I can help but I can tell you what I know.

My Great grand father Henry Long, or his dad by the same name, began Longs Transport in Bradford. During WW2 this was bought by the government. After the war my grandad, Harold Long, and his cousins bought the company back.

My grand father was in the RAF during WW2, posted in either Africa or India. When he returned he married Shelia (who worked in Yeadon).

Henry Longs Transport was sold over 30 years ago. I know this because I'm now 26 and I can't ever remember him owning it.

Harold had 2 children, a boy (now aged about 57) and a girl (now aged 51). The boy had two children, a girl who's now 30 and a boy who's 27. The girl had two daughters, me and my sister who's 23.

My mum and uncle are both married. My Gran and granddad died around 20 years ago.. My Gran from elderly illnesses and my granddad from a heart attack.

I hope this has been of use to you,
 RAF wife.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 March 06 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyke,
              I have a brief reference in a book dated 1882 as follows:-
   Long,Rear-admiral Robert, is said to have been born at Winsley Hall, near
Ripley. He erected and endowed the Burnt Yates School, near Ripley,
in the year 1760.    Hope this helps any Longs researching their Yorkshire roots,
Tomkin

Offline docwatto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
Tyke

My connection with this family is through Ann Long, sister to Rear Admiral Robert Long.  She married Thomas Kingsman in 1709.  Their grandson, William Long Kingsman (b1747) founded a small dynasty of ivory turners in London.  William appears also to have inherited substantial land from both his grandmother and from his great Uncle Robert.

I know from Ann Kingsman's will that she and Robert had at least one other brother, William.

I do not have birthdates for any of the Longs, only dates of death from their wills.  Ann in 1758, Robert in 1771 and William between 1753-1758.

Recorded dates in Robert's naval career were:

From Commissioned Sea Officers of the Royal Navy (1660-1815), he was appointed:

Commander                       3 Oct 1719
Captain                     21 Mar 1727
Superannuated as Rear Admiral   before 1748
Died                                6 July 1771

Robert Long was Rear Admiral of the Blue in 1752 - he is named as such in the Will of Thomas Kingsman (his nephew).

I have lots of information on the Kingsman descendants from this line if you are interested. 

Could you please let me know how Robert Long the admiral fits in witht he line you gave before starting at Robertus in 1583 - I couldn't spot his name in your list.

Regards

Derrick
Kingsman Watson Bridges Cox Saward Waterfield Beck Dutton Salisbury Thomas Astle Thyer

Offline abbey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 April 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
I have some info on LONGs of Yeadon and Bradford through a relative Jabez LONG b 1821 in Yeadon who married Jane RAWNSLEY.  Some of their family then moved to Shipley.

Any use?

Abbey

Offline lkarlson875

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 June 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
I am descended of John W Long (1798-1886) son of Barnabas & Ann Umpleby Long. Their 9th child. John was baptized Jan 4 1799 and worked as a butcher.

John married Elizabeth Strangeway in 1831 in Ripley. Source: FamilySearch.org Indexing project (batch) Number: M01424-1 System Origin: England-ODM GS Film Number: 0038551, 0207572, 98551. They moved to United States around 1842 and started their life in Maine, Cook County, Illinois. Maine is now named Glenview. They are both buried at Northfield Oakwood Cemetery in Northfield, Cook County, Illinois. Source: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25149558

I am researching the LONG family history and would be interested to be in contacting with other researchers connected to the LONG's.

Offline docwatto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 June 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
I've done a fair amount of work on your Long family, my link being through Robert Long who founded the school at Burnt Yates. Your ancestor Barnabus was recorded as being a scholar there in 1767.

Andrea Ives has written a book about the founding of this school "Admiral Long's Foundation & Burnt Yates School", which has quite a lot of incidental information about the Long family there as they were intimately involved with the school at that time.

Information about the London end of the Long family is posted on my Kingsman website at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kingsman including transcripts of the wills of the Longs of this family who had moved to London (in the documents section).

I believe, but have no direct proof, that Barnabus was the son of Thomas Long of Ripley. This is based only on the only two Long family charity scholars in Burnt Yates school in 1767 being Thomas and Barnabus. This Thomas was most likely s/o Thomas (baptised 1756) but I have found no corresponding baptism for Barnabus. There were five other Long families in the area having children at that time, Barnabus could alternatively be the child of one of these others.

I'm very happy to share my notes and observations, but they are all in an excel file which cannot be attached on the mail board here. Drop me an e-mail at docwatto at hotmail stop co stop uk if you'd like a copy.
Kingsman Watson Bridges Cox Saward Waterfield Beck Dutton Salisbury Thomas Astle Thyer

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 June 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
A full list of the BMD records of Nidderdale can be viewed here:
www.calverleyinfo.com
Choice of clicking onto Nidderdale or using Vital Records search.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline pipera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Surname: LONG (Yorkshire)
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Di2

Thanks for this - this is really interesting.

The information I have is:

Robert Longe (1535 to 1607) married Ellene Hill and were the parents of:
William Longe (1567-?)
Robert Longe (1572-1579)
Xpoferus - probably Christopher - Longe (1578-?)
Gracie Longe (1579-?)
Hellena Longe (1580-?)
Katherin Longe (1581-1581)
Katherina Longe (1582-?)
Robert Longe (1583-?) who married Ann (birth name unknown)
Maria Longe (1584-?)
Matheus Longe (1586-1586)
Gracie Longe (1588-?)
Suzanna (1589-1591)

I think that Robert Longe had a brother William Longe (1540-1581) who married maudin or Margaret and has a son called William Longe born in 1564.

Robert Longe (1583-?) who married Ann (birth name unknown) had children:
Ellen Long (1606-?)
Christopher Long (1610-?) who married Rosamund Waddington

Christopher Long (1610-?) who married Rosamund Waddington has children:
6 unknown children
Robert Long (1636-?) who married Sarah Oates

Robert Long (1636-?) who married Sarah Oates and had the following child:
Robert Long (1664-?) who married Edith (birth name unknown)

Robert Long (1664-?) who married Edith (birth name unknown) and had the following children:
Barnabas Long (?-?) who married Lucy Rentford
Christopher Long (1701-1764) who married 4 times - Edith (birth name unknown), his cousin or niece Sarah Long (1705-1733), Mary Leeming (1711-1753) and Mary Spink (1730-?) who later married a man called Dean

Christopher Long (1701-1764) by wives other than Sarah had the following children:
Mary Long (1735-?)
Elizabeth Long (1737-?)
Christopher Long (1739-1739)
Christopher Long (1740-?)
Christopher Long (1754-?) who had a daughter Hannah (1775-?)
Robert Long (1758-?)
William Long (1762-?)

Christopher Long (1701-1764) by Sarah Long his cousin or niece had the following children:
Sarah Long (1726-?)
Elizabeth Long (1729-1730)
Thomas Long (1731-?) who married first Jane Horsman (?-?) and then Ann Douseland (?-1753)

Thomas Long (1731-?) who married first Jane Horsman (?-?) and then Ann Douseland (?-1753) had the following children:
Sarah Long (1751-1766)
Barnabas Long (1764-either 1811 or 1821) who married Ann Umpleby
Thomas Long (1786-?)

Barnabas Long [/b] (1764-either 1811 or 1821) who married Ann Umpleby (1768-1830) had the following children:
Ann Long (1784-1861) who married Richand Burrill (1782-1858)
Barnabas Long (1785-?) who married Mary Hutchinson
Godfrey Long (1788-?) who married Ann (birth name unknown)
Jane Long (1790-?)
Mary Long (1792-?) who married William Bayne
George Long (1793-1839) who is my ancestor who married firstly Elizabeth Lambert and then Elizabeth Reynard (1802-?) who then married a man named Clarke
Thomas Long (1795-1851) who married first Abigal (birth name unknown) and then Eleanor Rendle (1792-1872)
Unknown female (1797)
John Long (1788-?)
Christopher Long (1802-?)
Richard Long (1804-?)
Elizabeth Long (1806-?)
Francis Long (1809-?)
Sarah Long (1810-?)

I'm afraid that a lot of this has yet to be cross-checked.

I also have a lot of the information on the descendants of George Long.

Glad to share information with you - write soon

Tyke

Robert and Ellene Hill had another son Thomas 1587 this is my line.

Rod

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 April 22 16:59 BST (UK) »
   Thanks for all comments in thread about Longs and Longes in Yorkshire, especially re baptisms, marriages and burials in Ripley parish. It is great that the parish for many years noted which part of the parish the person was from e.g.Clint or just C, as it was a multi village parish. Some Longs are also listed as being from Whippley Moor. Some records are civil (or not through the church) and the the village of Clint in Caro we find the hearth tax of King Charles the Second. So glad I noticed this is back online. This gives Mr Longe having two hearths where most villagers had one and some too poor to pay tax on any. Although a number had two hearths, he was the only one where a Christian name was omitted and he just addressed as Mr Longe, suggesting some status in the village. This also led me to look for earlier Longes (as well as Longs) in familysearch. There are quite a number in 1600's and earlier. It might be a family of high status and originally French, but certainly it suggests the West Yorkshire Longs of near to Ripley were the Longes
Ray