Author Topic: Help with John Badenoch and family  (Read 8051 times)

Offline suzannewalters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with John Badenoch and family
« on: Thursday 14 August 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm researching my family and have come up against a wall with
John Badeonch born about 1799. He married Isobel/Isabel Muir and their children were Ebenezer, Isobel, James, John, Alexander and Ann and they were all born around Buckie and surrounds.
Some of their children came to South Australia and I have records of their deaths there around Carey Gully. I can't any other information about the parents though whether they came to Australia or not.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Suzanne

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with John Badenoch and family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 August 08 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne - Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I don't know if it will help but the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society have an online Memorial Inscription Index which has entries for variants of your surname.
Some are probably the previous generation to John, some are later and might allow you to trace back from the SPRs to find if any of the family remained in Scotland and had sons to carry on the name.

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

Having just looked up the IGI I'm a bit confused.

John Badenoch and Isobel Muir married in 1797, and childen were born to them 1797 - 1805 same names as yours except no sign of son James.

John Badenoch son of John and Isobel was born 15 FEB 1797  Cullen, Banff. This is an extracted entry from the OPRs.

I think wires have got crossed somewhere! Have we skipped a generation or something?  ???

Could you post what you know about the children who died in SA and any further information such as spouses/ when they emigrated etc. That might help to clear this up.  :)

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Moirarule

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty
I have been researching our tree now for only a short time but have a bit of information on the Badenoch generations and children if interested.  My G-G Grandmother was Agnes Badenoch who married Patrick MacAnulty (various spellings but this is the spelling in the data of State Records of South Australia).

regards
Moira :)

Offline InService

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
A member of my family worked for a William Minty Badenoch in the 1920s.
William was a member of the Badenoch family from Portsoy.
William Badenoch, a John Badenoch, a David Sutherland Badenoch and others are mentioned in the Aberdeen University Review of 1918.
This is searchable on Google.
I hope this is useful.

Offline DeanneandTony

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 December 11 07:18 GMT (UK) »
I have details on Alexander Badenoch who married Agness Collie - son of a John.  they came to South Australia.  A number lived in and around Carey Gully and there are still some descendants here.

We have several connections to the Badenoch family via marriage.

Deanne
Hanchant/Hanchett: Herts, Essex (all counties as all related)
Hanchant, Gillespie, Williams : South Africa
Nichols: Norfolk
Middleton: Kent
Little: Gloucestershire
Lander: Glasgow
Brown: Glasgow
Collison: Ireland
Meeres, Burke : Canada
Bagnell:

Offline KBadenoch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I'm researching my family and have come up against a wall with
John Badeonch born about 1799. He married Isobel/Isabel Muir and their children were Ebenezer, Isobel, James, John, Alexander and Ann and they were all born around Buckie and surrounds.
Some of their children came to South Australia and I have records of their deaths there around Carey Gully. I can't any other information about the parents though whether they came to Australia or not.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, My name is Kym Badenoch and I too am searching for details about the mysterious John Badenoch and Isobel Muir. From my research I believe that the couple married in 1797. Their son Alexander Badenoch (1799-1883) was born in Cullen and he then went on to marry Agness Collie (1797-1861) in Alves, Scotland in 1820. They birthed a son Alexander Badenoch II (1826-1870) and the family of three traveled to South Australia in 1849 aboard the barque ship Ramillies which departed Southampton UK. The family then settled in Carey Gully in the Adelaide Hills. Alexander (II) married Elizabeth Pascoe in 1855. Agness Collie died in 1861 and Alexander (I) remarried in 1864 to Elizabeth McVittie. Alexander (II) then died in 1870 at the age of 44 but was survived by 6 or 7 children. I wish I could find out more info about John and Isobel. Did you or anyone else out there manage to come up with anything?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 15 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Kym - there are 2 John Badenoch baptisms on familysearch and scotlands people - one 9/4/1752 son of Alexander Badenoch and Isabel Jamieson, the other 19/9/1755 son of John Badenoch and Margaret Thomson - both at Rathven, Banffshire.   Most of the online trees have plumped for the 1752 baptism (perhaps because 2 of John/Isabel's children had the names Isobel and Alexander.  Aside from this names angle, I've no idea how you'd decide which of the 2 baptisms is 'yours'.

I think this must be Isabel's baptism, bearing in mind the name of her father:

Isabel Muir b.15/5/1760, bp.17/5/1760 Cullen, Banffshire, dau. of Ebenezer Muir and Jean Barlow.

By the way, John Badenoch and Isabel Muir married 1/9/1787 Cullen (not 1797) - children Ebenezer 1789 Fordyce, and the rest at Cullen: Isobel 1790, James 1792, John 1797, Alexander 1799 and Ann 1805.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeanneandTony

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 15 02:40 GMT (UK) »
I am related to the Badenoch's a number of times over including through Alexander II and Elizabeth Pascoe and more recent marriages.  I'll have another look at the information I have.

Deanne
Hanchant/Hanchett: Herts, Essex (all counties as all related)
Hanchant, Gillespie, Williams : South Africa
Nichols: Norfolk
Middleton: Kent
Little: Gloucestershire
Lander: Glasgow
Brown: Glasgow
Collison: Ireland
Meeres, Burke : Canada
Bagnell: