Author Topic: Hagelgans (Germany)  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Rock2HAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peace & Love!
    • View Profile
Hagelgans (Germany)
« on: Friday 15 August 08 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm new here and have no idea where to post this. My great-great grandmother came from Germany and her name was Christine (or Christina or Tina) Hagelgans. I have the U.S. Census records of her and found her Passenger Record and she came on the Weimar Ship on November 14, 1893 and arrived in New York, New York at Ellis Island in NY. Point of departure is Bremen. Ellils Island has her as "Dina Hagelgans" and ancestry.com has her "Lina Hagelgans" but I emailed them both and told them it's "Tina Hagelgans." She was 17 years old when she got here then she married John W Cossaboon and had three children. I know all of the kids names but have little info on the one I want most on there which is Nina Cossaboon (I have Census records from her). However, I don't have an exact date of death and and exact death date but I have the months and years of both events. Nina did marry a Willard J Packard before meeting my great grandfather Frank D McDaniels, Sr. However, I don't know if her and my great grandfather ever married but they had my grandfather Frank D McDaniels, Jr and she died around the time he was born from complications of child birth. Then after a while Frank D McDaniels, Sr married Mildred Cox (maiden name). I have U.S. Census info on all of this but couldn't find anything else. I probably have relatives in Germany that I don't even know about. Oh BTW everyone was born in NJ (USA) except for Christina Hagelgans. If anyone can find any info that I don't have then I'd greatly appreciate it. I even am trying to find my great grandfather (my grandmother's side of the family..her dad..etc) with the last name Burton. His name was Granville Burton (he didn't have a middle name). I do have family info (parents and siblings) from U.S Census but that's it. Thanks in advance.
Heidi
P.S. I'm looking for Christina's info from Germany (her parents, siblings, DOB, where she was born and raised, etc.).
Cossaboon
Burton
McDaniels
Hagelgans

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hagelgans (Germany)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 August 08 18:40 BST (UK) »
If you want to make a correction on Ancestry, there's a link for comments & corrections on the page for the passenger list.  It might help other descendants find her.

Have you tried to get an obituary for Nina?  If you have it down to a month, you might be able to get it from the library near where she lived or died.  www.raogk.com also might have a volunteer that could do it for you.

Offline Rock2HAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peace & Love!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 August 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
Yes I have looked for an obituary of her but no luck. That's why I'm asking on here. I emailed ancestry.com the correction or should I do the link that you're talking about? I couldn't find/see the link on there. I don't pay for ancestry.com but look up stuff on there for free. Can't afford to pay that a month. Think that's very pricey anyway. Oh forgot to say that Nina died on March of 1927. My grandfather's birth was March 17, 1927 and she died around then because she died from complications of having him.   :'(    Thanks for your help though.
Heidi
Cossaboon
Burton
McDaniels
Hagelgans

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 August 08 19:08 BST (UK) »
I don't see a correction made on there, so I don't think Ancestry did anything with the informat, unless you e-mailed them very recently.  I'm not sure how it works if, say, you're using Ancestry at a library, but with a subscription, you click on the search results and it will have a link that says "Comments and Corrections" on the left side.  They'll make note of the correction on the results that way.

I guess if you've looked & found nothing, there may be no obit.  I had a couple on my husband's tree who both died in 1927 - found a detailed obit for the man, but nothing for the woman.  Maybe the females didn't get much attention in those days.   :-\

Offline Rock2HAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peace & Love!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 August 08 20:05 BST (UK) »
Well I just emailed them today about the correction as I just found it today. So I'm sure the correction won't be done already. They may not even do it at all. Who knows. Well they lived and died in Cumberland County, NJ and I think they don't put anything public online which stinks! And they want money from us for the records, obits, etc. which I hate! I live in a different county now in NJ but used to live in Cumberland County. The area is really bad now. I'm glad I'm not there anymore and don't want to go back there although I may go back there to see local musician friends of mine perform there. They never perform publicly except for two upcoming events in that area. However, I won't be going to the library then. I am not paying money that I don't have to get all of the info I need. Maybe another time. I hope the info becomes free to the public very soon though. Thanks for your help.
Heidi  ;D
Cossaboon
Burton
McDaniels
Hagelgans

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 August 08 21:19 BST (UK) »
If you know where she is buried, you can call and at least get the interment date, which narrows things down. Contacting the public library is a great way for getting obits. And since you do have the month and year, you can order the death certificate.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/

That could provide a fountain of information. (Parents' names, where born, exact cause of death, DOB.)
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Rock2HAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peace & Love!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 August 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. If you are referring to Nina then I don't know where she is buried and I have looked online for graves of her too. I think I know she died in Bridgeton, NJ in March of 1927 but that's all I know. Thanks for your help.  :)
Heidi
Cossaboon
Burton
McDaniels
Hagelgans

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 August 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Heidi,

have you seen the book "The Hagelgans Name in History (Paperback)" on Amazon?

How good is your German? There is an article about the first Hagelgans on here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nolenancestry/hagelgans_schlossverwalter.doc

Good luck with your search
mz

Moderator Comment: URL edited to act as link

Offline Rock2HAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peace & Love!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 August 08 23:37 BST (UK) »
No I haven't seen this book and I know very little German. Thanks for the info but I doubt that will say anything about Christina Hagelgans. I don't remember if I mentioned that on the original document which I have viewed that her occupation was listed as a servant. So I'm wondering when she came over here if her parents died. Thanks again.
Heidi
Cossaboon
Burton
McDaniels
Hagelgans