Author Topic: 1871 GT YARMOUTH look up  (Read 1921 times)

Offline jacqui01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1871 GT YARMOUTH look up
« on: Wednesday 26 January 05 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my grandfathers family. I have his father RICHARD LAMB as being born in Yarmouth, Norfolk around 1852.

I understand from the 1881 census that he was a shipwright, so that was probably his occupation in 1871.

Iknow there were a lot of Lambs in Yarmouth around that time but I would be grateful if anyone could find any information on this family for me.

Thanks

Jacqui
longhurst, lamb, irvine,pearce, priddy, greensmsith, fletcher,reeves, miller, burnett

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 GT YARMOUTH LOOK UP
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui

I think I've found him, but it doesn't look like it will help you much.

RG10/1789/72 p 22 schedule 100
Address: (don't understand this, but this is what it clearly says): No 1 Row 36 (previous schedule address was Charlotte St), Yarmouth

William Ives Head Marr age 50 Smith
Mary Ives Wife Marr age 49
Richard Lamb Boarder Marr age 19 Shipwright
Harriet Lamb Boarder Marr age 15? Dressmaker
Margaret Lamb Boarder age 11 Scholar

all born Great Yarmouth.  For Mary, Richard, and Harriet there are ditto marks under the word married for William.  But age 15 seems a little unlikely.  Unfortunately the 1851 probably won't be much help unless you know the parents names.  I could look if you want?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacqui01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

Thanks for looking that up for me.  It doesn't make sense to me either. It looks like the right person - right age - right profession - but why a boarder without his wife if he was married at that age.  I know his wife was called mary Ann and was the same age as him, but she was born in Ramsgate, Kent.

Could I be a pain and ask if you could look up to see if there is any mention of her in the 1871 census in that area. I suppose it's possible she could have still been living with her parents. It might be worth a try.

Once again, thanks for looking

Jacqui
longhurst, lamb, irvine,pearce, priddy, greensmsith, fletcher,reeves, miller, burnett

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 05 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui

She doesn't show up as Mary or Mary Ann or Mary A Lamb.  What was her maiden name - just in case someone didn't get Richard's marital status correct at all.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacqui01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 January 05 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

I don't know her maiden name as yet.

Thanks for trying. I will get back to you if I can find any other info.

Thanks again

Jacqui

Offline Rosemary Helen Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 16 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui - my great-grandfather was Richard Lamb, Shipwright of Great Yarmouth.  I am the granddaughter of Emma Beatrice Lamb.  My father did a sketchy family tree in about 1950 (before I was born) and he put that Richard married Mary Ann Miller and had children Lydia Emma (2 children Harold and Frank), Polly Mary Ann who died in 1920, Margaret Sara who married an Edgar Jones, Robert Arnold (who died young) a Richard William and a William (who died in infancy).  Richard's father (whose first name I don't have as haven't actually started looking into family trees myself until now) drowned in Rio de Janeiro and he married a Mary Fiddes Ives - I've always been intrigued as to whether she was Brazilian - it would be the only exotic thing in my family!  Hope you get this message.  Rosemary

Offline Rosemary Helen Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at the other posts and it appears that in the census that was referred to he was living with his mother's family - IVES, so not Brazilian unfortunately.  Rosemary