Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 61077 times)

Offline shillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Event in Berks
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 October 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
Lots of people did .........but I was there about 10 years after her

I,ve just looked at the Keephatch website ....and hasnt that changed .....

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 October 08 17:48 BST (UK) »

I did,nt LOL,St Crispins for me.
                   Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 October 08 17:54 BST (UK) »
My son went to Keephatch Infants before Palmer and my daughter went to Whitlock and then Palmer.  They both went on to St Crispins.  Things have changed because St Crispins is now arguably the best secondary school in town.  A little different from the days when the children from Arborfield Garrison were bussed in every day.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 October 08 18:05 BST (UK) »
Well I went to Keep Hatch when Miss Arnold and Mr Lee were there !!!! I would guess that Miss Arnold has long gone ..as I think she was 90 when I went ...Mr Lee has also gone as he passed away some year ago from Cancer ...

St Dustbins............LOL I dont think things were any better at any of the schools back then BUT Miss Holland at The Holt wasnt to be messed with !!!!

what a lovely thread ....memories!

I guess ..behindthefrogs is as it says ............?

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 October 08 19:30 BST (UK) »
in my day,the children from Arborfield were bussed in and we had no trouble,i knew a lot of them,nobody messed with Mr Bancroft or Mrs Andrews,I did hear in my nephews and neices day that it was quite bad but my neice is a chartered accountant and liveing in New Zealand and apparently her friend was something to do with the take over of Hong Kong back to the chinese,so I guess its down to the people not the school,she did it on her own,had to lodge while doing a levels put herself through Cardiff University to become Chartered and gained the Highest Marks,she was there in the 70,s.
Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 October 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
Going back to the original photograph.  I did wonder about Broad Street in Wokingham, being the only level straight street but I think the street in the picture is too long.  What does anyone think about Bracknell before it was mutilated?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RanR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:31 BST (UK) »
Wow!  This has really turned into a Wokingham memories thread.  do you think we ought to change its name?

Thank you for the information about the change of street name for Down Street.

I woudl like to agree with Joyce about Heelas actualy having premises in Wokingham.  We moved to Wokingham in 1964 jsut before my 4th birthday and I have a long-held memory of the shop with its wooden flooring and a central wooden staircase going up directly opposite the main entrance.  There were counters on each side of the downstairs sales floor - on the right and the left and it was all old wooden shelving etc.  The floor creaked!!  I can't remember the upstairs at all - maybe that's where the toys were and I wasn't taken up there very often!

I think it was near the corner of Rose Street and Market place about where Millwards used to be (the shoe shop - I'm doing loads of BTs searching for the Reading parishes in the 1700s at the moment and there are lots of Millwards there as I keep muddling them up with my Millards that I'm searching for!).  I seem to have some vague recollection that Boots moved there some time more recently?  I'm afraid that I've not been to Wokingham for the last 14 years so am not sure about the more recent changes.

I think Heelas must have changed hands in the later 1960s and probably by the time I went to the Holt in 1971.  I was at Embrook school before that - lovely place!  I really enjoyed it there.

Yes I've been in the Baptist church many times and the Methodist church as well and agree with you about their extension.  I suppose that's why I was a bit puzzled by your reference to the Waitrose carpark being behind Montague House as I remembered it being beside Rose Street Methodist even into the 1990s.  Does that mean that Waitrose have taken over the alleyway that came through from Palmer Road and that rough scrubland area by the old Palmer shcool site into Rose Street where there was the little tiny house where someone I knew lived?

Thank you for taking the time to work out the houses for me in Broad Street/Market Place etc.  I've been trying to do the same thing where I live now as our shop is in a 17th century weaver's home and is the only property left in this street now - the rest is under a carpark.  Using census returns isn't always the easiest way I've found as sometimes buildings were dividied up for families to share, or little tenements etc were sometimes built in a garden or alongside a house to give extra room (and they haven't always survived).

I was quite surprised that so many of the buildings in Broad Street must have been shops in the 1860s/1870s as they never seemed to be that kind of building when I knew the town.  Most of the shops had moved out of that road and were in Denmark Street and Peach Street and the Market Place.  Mind you, in those days they didn't tend to have large plate windows in shop fronts as I assume that they weren't able to make such large areas of glass.

One last thought ... when looking at the census returns for my Scorey family I noticed that there was a Boarding School in Broad Street.  Would that have been the Grosvenor House school even then (and in Montague House)?  I did notice that in the 1900s census there were a couple of other schools around mentioned as being boarding schools like the Wixenhoe one that must now be Ludgrove down Easthampstead Road.  That one out on the Barkham Road still puzzles me and I think it must have moved out of that building into Luckley school to become Luckley Oakfield school.  Maybe that's when the children's home moved into it and then the home for the elderly.  Any thoughts?
Berks: MILLARD
Cornwall (west): HOSKEN, WOOLCOCK, DONNITHORNE, TREWEEK, TRESEDDER, MITCHELL, NANCARROW, REYNOLDS
Cambs/Hunts: LANGFORD, WRIGHT
Derbys: MOTTRAM
Hants/Surrey (London): BRACKSTONE, SCOREY, DENSLOW, POULTER, WYLD, KINCHIN, RANGER, LEWIS, DAVIES
Herts: JUDD, UNCLE, RUMBALL
Nth Yorks: MOON
Suffolk/Essex/Cambs: WINNY, SARGENT, DICKERSON, RUSH, WATTS, PICKESS, MASON, SCOTCHER, ADAMS, FERNSWORTH
Shropshire: GOUGH, BYWATER, POULTER
Warks/Worcs: WHITE, SALMON, WOODWARD, WIMBLETT

Offline shillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:32 BST (UK) »
Yes I did wonder if it was Wokingham coz of the building on the right half way along .....may be what I knew as the post office ??
I didnt know Bracknell well enought

Offline RanR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry!  Also missed your thought David about the original 'event in Berks' photo.  

I wondered about Bracknell and then considered Nine Mile Ride and Crowthorne way.  it's those trees that puzzle me.  I don't think it could be up Finchampstead way but maybe California.  Was there anything there then?!  It doesn't look a huge place but it does seem to have a bit of height to it, looking into the background - almost like Barkham but I don't think the trees are right.
Berks: MILLARD
Cornwall (west): HOSKEN, WOOLCOCK, DONNITHORNE, TREWEEK, TRESEDDER, MITCHELL, NANCARROW, REYNOLDS
Cambs/Hunts: LANGFORD, WRIGHT
Derbys: MOTTRAM
Hants/Surrey (London): BRACKSTONE, SCOREY, DENSLOW, POULTER, WYLD, KINCHIN, RANGER, LEWIS, DAVIES
Herts: JUDD, UNCLE, RUMBALL
Nth Yorks: MOON
Suffolk/Essex/Cambs: WINNY, SARGENT, DICKERSON, RUSH, WATTS, PICKESS, MASON, SCOTCHER, ADAMS, FERNSWORTH
Shropshire: GOUGH, BYWATER, POULTER
Warks/Worcs: WHITE, SALMON, WOODWARD, WIMBLETT