Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 60799 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.
« Reply #54 on: Friday 31 October 08 07:40 GMT (UK) »
I think its more likely to be the return of the unknown soldier but where they are is still a mystery.  I'm not sure about Ascot either, its a bit hilly and the roads are not that straight.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 31 October 08 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Did they have armistice day parades in 1918? Seems a bit unlikely.

Well, I understand what you mean, but there were celebrations all over the country and in many other parts of the world on that day in 1918 or possibly maybe even more likely 1919. People were very glad that the war was over despite the fact that some military action was still taking place in Russia and other places. I have tried to find a few images of places in this country where Armistice Day celebrations took place and thankfully I have found some which I think give more credibility to my cousins thoughts on the matter. I will post some links here as I do not know about the copyright issues in the articles and photos, but you will see that the fashion of the time matches that of my own picture and of course the Union Flags are out too with other bits of ribbon etc. etc. I think we have to remember that the celebration and thankfulness for the end of the war was somewhat different to what we now call Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday, these days we now celebrate were not invented in 1918, hence I realise what you mean, I think!

Here are the links I promised. I am not trying to create a debate, just add evidence that hopefully confirms my cousins thoughts.

Armistice Day Celebrations 1918 / 1919 in;

Dover
http://photosforthefuture.thehistorychannel.co.uk/?cmd=photo_view&photo_id=2136

Biggleswade (this one really confirms it for me)
http://www.galaxy.bedfordshire.gov.uk/webingres/bedfordshire/vlib/0.digitised_resources/biggleswade_streets_highstreet_armistice.htm

Lichfield
http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/image_galleries/old_photos_staffs_fast_track_gallery.shtml?17

I just wish I / we could pinpoint the location of the picture I have, though I think I will have to accept that it may never be!

Philip

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 01 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I am sure there would have been a lot of spontaneous celebrations on Armtistice Day 1918 I am less convinced that there would have been parades, bunting etc. A few days later, even the next day, would give some opportunity to set up such events. All I question is the precision of the dating of the photo.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 12:17 GMT (UK) »
All I question is the precision of the dating of the photo.

If only I had a relative alive that was there on the day eh...... I have spent a bit more time rumaging through events that took place in the first half of the 1900's and the only event I can come up with that might be of significance to this picture is George VI's coronation in 1937. The only sticking point on that date for me is the style of the vehicle because if it is indeed the coronation that vehicle would have been vintage even then lol. But perhaps given the event the owner of that vehicle decided to dust and polish it and get it out for the day, since it was such a special event. Still doesn't get me the town though. I have given up on that now.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Newburychap (NewburyLass I guess) is a dab hand at dating photos - she tends towards the late 1920s, or the early 1930s. Her opinion is based on the ladies' fashions

So the coronation in 1937 is a possibility, the jubliee in 1935 was probably a bigger celebratory occasion and closer to NewburyLass' dating.

To be honest it looks too celebratory to be a Remembrance Day.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Bigshotte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 01 February 09 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Coronation to me.

Offline Bigshotte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 01 February 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Re events in Berks by R&R reply 4. School name was Bigshotte Rayles from when founded in 1895 to 1918. It then changed its name & was called Bigshotte School until closure in 1997. Knocked down & housing estate erected on site. All that is left now is a field called Bigshotte Park, Crowthorne.

Offline Bigshotte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 01 February 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Oops! re my reply number 60. Bigshotte School was closed in 1977. Sorry.

Offline CeeR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 12 March 09 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi H.  I am writing regarding the festivities showing in the old photograph.  This picture is of Bracknell High Street taken from the top near The Old Manor looking down the street.  My great grandparents owned The Old Manor in those days and were basket makers with several shops around the area and based in Crondall - Stevens family.  That part of the High Street remains pretty much the same as it was then although further down near the Crossway was completely demolished - shame.  The Post Office is on the righthand side near that sign.  The large tree you can see was in the Church Yard and my grandfather had a basket/hardware shop just beyond that.  All of which has now been demolished.   I have an old postcard book which has pictures of this part of the high street.  I will dig it out sometime and see if there is any reference to what the occasion might be. Hope this is of some help to you. best wishes C.