Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 60799 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 12 March 09 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi CeeR

welcome to Rootschat

Are you sure its of old Bracknell? I live less than a mile away from where you are describing and it doesn't look anything like that at all.
I would be interested in seeing the postcards you have of that time. 

Jenny
think I need to have a look in the library
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 12 March 09 10:30 GMT (UK) »
It is Bracknell High Street.  Here is a picture taken in the opposite direction.

http://www.bfheritage.org.uk/library/images/lg_bracknews1026_20050119093433.jpg

and a small one in the right direction

http://www.rootschat.com/links/05t5/

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 12 March 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
well... that is a surprise, shame its changed beyone recognition
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Well, thanks for identifying the town. I thought it would never happen. I hope the event will be identified yet.

Sadly, my cousin with whom I would share this information died a couple of weeks ago. I'm sad I can't tell him the news. It might well have sparked a memory for him.

It is a shame how things change with time, referring to the redevelopment of a town with lovely buildings like Bracknell had. My Grandfather was sent a post card of Bullbrook Bridge back in February of 1946 as a memento of his visit there. My cousin took me 18 months ago for a ride in his car to show me the site of the image. Sadly it is long gone under the A329 London Road dual-carriageway between Lily Hill Drive and Bay Drive and the stream itself is now hidden in a culvert. And they call it 'progress'.

Thanks for the continued input.  ;D

Philip

PS found some additional images here of the three peaked dept store;

http://www.bfheritage.org.uk/memories_info.php?CID=50&LID=67

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 12 March 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
With the exception of about four buildings the whole of the centre of Bracknell was bulldozed in the 1970s in the name of progress.  The two main shopping roads still exist surrounded by a ring road but virtually none of the original shops survived just a couple of pubs.

A few of the residential streets still survive but are completely engulfed by the modern estates of the huge new town which is still expanding.  The whole town is now a monstrosity.  I worked there for nearly twenty years.

One of the estates is called Bullbrook

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 13 March 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I agree... best avoided at all costs.

Offline CeeR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 14 March 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip.  Glad I was able to identify Bracknell High Street for you.  So sorry your cousin passed away. Shame he didn't get to know.  It was purely by chance that I came across you request for help.  I was looking for info on a property in Wokingham I was thinking of buying.  Your pic of Montague House appeared and so I followed the thread thinking I could give you info on it, but someone else already had.  I then came across your pic of Bracknell High Street and recognised it instantly.  I grew up in the old Binfield Road in the 50's/60's so knew old Bracknell very well.  I then moved to Wokingham and lived in Rose Street, interestingly in a house once owned by Isiah Gadd, where I lived for 25 years.  I now live just a couple of minutes from Montague House in the opposite direction and walk passed it daily.  Will be in touch when I find the postcard book.  Kind Regards CeeR

Offline Sotonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 05:23 BST (UK) »
I agree that the original photograph in this thread is Bracknell High Street probably taken between the wars.

The post office is on the right as you look at the photograph and the large fir tree was in front of the church. A small pathway led up to the church hall where I used to attend Sunday school in the early fifties. My mother used to take me to have my haircut by Mr Flower whose shop was on the left as you look at the image. You can make out Lawrence's store on the right just below the Post Office where my father worked in the twenties.

With regards to Oakfield House I have attached a photograph. My grandfather’s cousin worked at Oakfield House during the War as a cook when a lot of evacuees were living there.

My grandparents lived in Wokingham where my mother was born and then I was born. I lived in Bracknell until I was about twelve. We moved just before the major work on the New Town began.

My father's family are a very old Wokingham family and you find them listed in All Saints parish registers from the earliest times.
Alexander, Appleford, Bolshire, Brant, Campbell, Clarage/Claridge, Coates, Collyer, Cram, Deacle, Giles, Hiscock, Hoare, Keen, Mayor, Rixon, Simms, Stockwell, Tarrant, Taylor, Turner, Waters, Wheeler, Wilson

Offline CeeR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Re old pics of Bracknell and the High Street as well as other places in the Uk.  I suggest you look at the following site.  These people have recently moved into a shop in the Town Hall in Wokingham and have a very large collection of  old pics.  www.netxposure.net  Enjoy. CeeR