Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 60799 times)

Offline littlemissrat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I just came across this thread on a search of old photos from wokingham, I live in wokingham in a house that is around 100 years old and was chatting today to a friend who has a picture of her house in wokingham from 1890 (it is in the distance though) and thought that it was great. She got it from the shop that used to be in wokingham that sold old photos. I have really enjoyed reading all the memories you have shared and looking at the photos.  :)
There was a broadmoor siren was in my playground at sandhurst school and you found out the hard way if you were too close to it on a monday morning!

Offline Handyson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 13 January 11 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

I am a descendant of Alice Knight born in Lower Froyle, Hampshire in 1865 and John Anderson an American who was in The 7th Hussars. Her father was George Knight b. 1834 in Long Sutton. Hampshire. A few of their descendants ended up in Mayford owning and working in the local stores there, and the nearby school.

Now looking for cousins Christopher, Janet and Michael Anderson who lived in Goaters Road, Ascot; now all in their 50's early 60's.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 14 January 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Mayford is two miles south of Woking which is a completely different place from Wokingham.  You need to post on the Surrey board to find Woking families.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Handyson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 15 January 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
[Hi and thanks.

I have also posted on the Surrey site; but was also looking for any firm Knight connection.

Regards.

Steve.

Offline ellisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 18 November 11 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am exploring the history of Grosvenor House School (also called Wokingham Preparatory School and now the White House School).  The School was founded by Miss Laura Jane Baker in 1890 and started in Milton Road (1890 - 1893) before moving to Terrace Point (now Tudor House)(1893-1919) and adopting the name Grosvenor House School after Miss Baker's training college in Bath.  Then it moved to Montague House (1919-1931) and onto a site in Albert Road (1931-1948) and finally to the White House in 1948.  Miss Baker retired in 1933 and a teacher at the school, Miss Rosalie Smith, became head followed in 1939 by Miss L Baker's neices, Misses Olive and Janet Knight.  By this time the school became the Wokingham Preparatory School.  I know very little of the School during this time.  Eventually a Miss Beryl Caudwell took over the school and moved it to its present site and became the White House Preparatory School. 

This school history project has been started as the school will be celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2015 and is hoping to get an alumni going and other things.

Does anyone have any other photographs or memorabilia or information about the school?  Many thanks, Ellisa

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 18 November 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ellisa, I replied to your email that I received via Tribal Pages. I hope you find the info interesting even if it doesn't supply you with more information about the school itself.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline ellisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 19 November 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Phodgetts - I have not received your email yet.  Could you try sending it again?  Many thanks, Ellisa

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 04 March 12 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I realise Oakfields childrens home is entirely different to Oakfields school,after hours of searching,finaly came across a picture of the childrens home,in "up my street" they say it was a nursing home,now residential,was originaly a Manor House,also found a picture of my grandmothers house in Peach Street,just after where old style houses are that you walk under,there was a lane and two Alms houses my gran lived in the first one,lovely to see it.
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline coronationlady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories Muray House
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 08 August 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to the site but after putting 'Childrens Home in Station Rd, Wokingham' into my computer, this was the only place I could find mention of 'Murray House, Station Road'.  I know my mother was in an Orphanage in Wokingham and I am almost sure it was this one.  I am unable to find any websites about the home and would really like to find out more.  I understand the building is now private homes so going there wouldn't help.  She went into the home when she was about 8 years old when her mother died and that was in 1924.  If anyone can help, I would be so grateful.