Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 60800 times)

Offline Vanessa100

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 15 March 15 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I lived at Murray house from early 60s to mid 70s. I am looking for anyone that might remember me. My name is Vanessa. I remember, Christopher Falmer, Stephen, Helen, susan red fern, peter, patric. If anyone can remember please contact me.

Offline Stephen100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I lived at Murray house from early 60s to mid 70s. I am looking for anyone that might remember me. My name is Vanessa. I remember, Christopher Falmer, Stephen, Helen, susan red fern, peter, patric. If anyone can remember please contact me.
Hi Vanessa. I do remember you. How's things with you?  I too lived there from around 1973 to 1976.
 The boys there were Peter, who was into clocks lol as I remember, Chris who has a mohican/feathered haircut, and a fancy jacket with something on the back (logo/face/ etc) but I cant remember. Patrick, yes, just come to me now, umm a Robbie I think too.  Girls there were, you of course, I remember that you returned for a quick visit too, Helen, Susan who loved horses, Karen L.  Sharon E. (met her at a shop checkout which was nice to chat for a minute). The Staff were the Bristows with their son also Steve (I think), Oh also Peter who had a disability on his right side. Then came the Stacey's with their dog Bruce  (German Shepherd), Also Alan Jones, he had a beard, Tim Preece.

I would love to catch up and natter sometime and see how your life blossomed. Well, hope to hear from you or anyone else from the home, to you all, take care.  Steve

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa I vaguely remember you,i was in Murray house before you but had a friend Jennifer Long who was in there the same time as you,relatives of Jennifer were in Oakfields with me.I worked at tectonic just up the road,in Station Rd when i left school.
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coronation Lady,
                          I was in Murray House in about 1956 but before that in Oakfields Wokingham for about five years just around the corner from Station Rd, Murray House was very small in compared to Oakfields,it was like two 1930,s semi detached houses together where as Oakfields was your typical childrens home like a large mansion in its own grounds,both childrens homes now have been turned into homes for the elderly,you could contact the local library to find out where the records are kept as you would be allowed to ask for them,mine were in Reading but most destroyed,you maybe lucky,if i can help please pm me.
Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline buddytod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 24 August 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce341,
I was in Murray House in the early 50's (approx 1955/56) along with my younger sister. The lady in charge was Mrs Crouch.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Its been a few years since this post but looking never took it in before i see Millard Berkshire this was my sisters married name their family were from Hurst.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sotonian

I recognise the photo of Oakfield house i was there for about five years when it was a childrens home to the right of the photo was our dining room to the left with turret was house parents quarters just  where the lady is standing behind her was where the door to the dining room was  if you look at oakfield retirement home photo you can see a photo from the front you will see the turret on the right in it.
Joyce

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buddytod
                  you would have been there when i was,i had previously been in Oakfields for about five years then just before Christmas in 1954 i think we were walked around the corner to Murray House I left about Easter time in 1956  i remember Mother Crouch as we called her Aunty jean,Mrs Nichols ( she brought me a doll for my birthday i remember she did,nt live in but came daily )and going into Mother Crouch,s living room on Sunday afternoon to see Childrens TV i had a sister Phoebe who was also there with me,I remember Margaret Palmer who was there and the old car out the back we played on.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coronation Lady

it been a while now since this was posted but having read your post again and living in Oakfields and Murray House i do not think it would be Murray House  i could be wrong but that was a small home and fairly modern compared to Oakfields someone in a photo of Oakfields said a relative worked at Oakfields in 1919 just after the war and they had evacuees there
The station is situated where you have station rd to the right where murray House was and Straight up was Oakfields on Barkham rd whichever home i lived at i had to cross the station when i walked to school  i would say apply for her records which you are entitled to do but fear that they would have been destroyed as mine were.