Author Topic: Bree familyJersey  (Read 15619 times)

Offline alimac44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bree familyJersey
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your offer of help. The details I need certifictes for are as follows

Birth of Charles Elias Bree born in 1873 or 74 in St. Martins. (he died in Penzance on 18.3.1905 age 31). Looking at his marriage cert he was born 1873. I need his birth cert.

His father was also Charles Bree b. 1850 or maybe 49 in St. Heliers, Jersey, he was 36 on the 1881 census, I need his Birth Cert and also marriage details. I know his wife was Mary A. but I dont have a maiden name all I know she was born in St. Martins. In 1881 she was aged 36. So again Charles mariage details are vital for me to go on. In 1881 he was living in Grouville

Here we get a bit sketchy, I think Charles b.1950 his Father was Elias Bree b.1825 but again no proof I can lay my hands on. Any help there with a birth index no would be so appreciated.

Hope this helps, and once again thank you very much for your very kind offer of help.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:13 BST (UK) »
 did you know there was a Free 1841 census on the internet for the Channel Islands,called "Jersey Maid".
          Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline alimac44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Joyce I didn't know.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 August 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
1841 channel island census,funny this is just above your rootsweb message,Bree family on the internet.
Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce

Not too a productive morning I'm afraid although there could be light at the end of the tunnel.

First the birth of Charles Elias Bree. The index entry is "St Martin's births, 13th Jan 1873 to 29th Jun 1884, page 46". However, see later.

Despite the census saying that Charles Bree was born about 1850 in St Helier, I cannot find a record anywhere despite searching 5 years either side. Neither can I find a marriage for Charles and Mary A. Then to cap it all, I can't see a birth for Elias Bree around 1825. However I can see the birth of an Elie Bree, baptised in St Martin 7th April 1826 to Elie Bree and Esther Falle.

Because I was unsure whether I missed something I went to the Registry Office where you can look at Certificates. Charles Elias Bree was born 2nd Feb 1879 to John Charles Bree, a "Journalier" and Jane Allere. So this makes me ask whether the search for Charles and Elias is relevant? Maybe he dropped the John bit. Maybe I have the wrong Charles Elias Bree????

Finally, two people have lodged Bree family trees at the Societe Jersiaise, one for the family in St Martin and one in Grouville.

Stewart

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I dont know how it works in Jersey,my family on the maternal line go back to 1600,s in Guernsey,but for others searching the channel islands this may help,my ggggrandfather was born in Suffolk,so how come I ended up with family from Guernsey,answer,he was in the army and stationed at Fort George Guernsey,some of the children were born in suffolk,someone from the Priaux library was brilliant,(Margaret) she found my GGgrandmothers registration,under Mayo instead of Mays,they were really helpful.
Joyce

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Further update!!

I have searched the index for another Charles Elias Bree and found a Charles Elie Bree in St Martins Births, 30th June 1866 to 23rd Jan 1873 on page 64. I'll go to the Registry Office in the next few days and see who is parents were and hopefully....

Now here's something new...

I was checking the "Secours Extraordinaires aux Pauvres de la Paroisse de St Helier", now known as Parish Relief for St Helier. Low and behold I found an entry for 1885 for:

Paul Charles Bree aged 35
Mary A Bree aged 43
Charles Bree aged 13
Ann Bree aged 11
John Bree aged 10
Alice Bree aged 8
Alfred Bree aged 6

The payment was for Extraordinary Help - Winter Extra Relief. They received (I'll let you do the translations!):

Payment 7/-
Calico Veges 9
Connade Veges 5
Flannelle Veges 8
Molleton Veges 7
Linsey Robes Veges 16
Union Linsey Veges 5
Fustiam Veges 3
Fil de Laine 1
Indienne 4
Bottles 1

They were living at the time in Gorey, Le Valles, pro Le Havre, St Helier.

So I need to check the birth to see if this is the correct one and then if it is, find a marriage for a Paul Bree rather than a Charles Bree.

Stewart

Offline alimac44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thank you so much for your help, I think you have hit the jackpot, Paul Charles Bree and the details you have given fit what I have under "Charles" Bree, the children you have listed fit what I have but haven't proven, wow what a find.

If this helps at all I have double checked my Gt.Grandad's marriage and Death certs, this is the Charles Bree b. 1873 or 1874. - He married July 10th 1898 in penzance aged 25. He died 18 March 1905 age 31. So if his birthday was between 18 March & 10th July, he would have been born in 1874 (if my maths is correct!).

The two people who have lodged Bree family trees at the Societe Jersiaise, are you able to get access to what they have submitted or can I write for access somewhere. I think my Bree's cover both St.Martin and Grouville. I think they started in St.Martin and moved to Grouville whilst still having children.

By the way not sure how I have come to let you think I am called joyce, my name is Alison, sorry about that, and thank you so very much, there's no way I could of done any of this without actually coming to Jersey, and I'm afraid that isn't on the cards. I get to Penzance record office now and again, but thats 5hrs away.
Thank you
Alison

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
hi Alison

Sorry about the name mix up. I just picked it up from a previous posting but now realise it was someone else.

Yes, it was a great find (modesty!) and a pure fluke. I will get to see the birth certificate shortly and then that should lead us to the parents marriage - I hope.

I'm afraid you can only view the lodged trees, although there is nothing to stop me taking a drawn copy. I'll see what I can do if it proves to be relevant.

Stewart