Author Topic: Burials in Lennel Cemetery/Dickson  (Read 16143 times)

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Lennel Cemetery/Dickson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Dicksons in Coldstream, 1841.
Skaithmuir.
James Dickson  M  25  Ag.Lab    Bew.
Catherine         F  25
Thomas            M  4
Robert             M  2
Thomas           M  70  Ag.Lab.
Christian          F  65
Margaret         F  30.

Muirhouses.
Christian Dickson  F  60  Pauper   Bew.

Gas Lane.
Thomas Dickson  M  25  Carter  Bew.
Christian             F  25               Eng.
George               M  4                Bew.

Nth Side of New Rd.
Isabella Dickson   F  55             Bew.
Robert                 M  15  Tailor Jrnymn.  Bew.

Duke St.
William Dickson   M  30  Ag.Lab.     Bew.
Margaret            F  25                    Eng.
Robert               M  5                      Bew.
Mary                  F  2                         ".

High St. Sth Side.
William Dickson  M  26  Shoemaker     Outside County                                ".
Euphemia           F  25                               ".
Margaret            F  9 mths                   Bew.
Wm.                   M  4                             ".

East of Church.
Wm. Dickson    M  45  Shoemaker        Bew.
Jane                F  45
Walter             M  20  Blacksmith App.
Wm.                M  15  M.S.
Margt             F  12.

If any ring a bell let me know.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

My other half is called Gail Dickson, (nee Meikle). She has been divorced for quite a while now and hasn't really looked into the Dickson side of her family tree.

She did however speak to a Dickson relative who has done quite a bit of work on the Dickson tree, (all Coldstream connections and back to the 1700's) he has been looking for the headstone for quite a while, he has a plan of the cemetery and it looks very much like several of the stones relating to the Dickson family are no longer there, including the Jane Pringle/Jane Mossman/George Dickson stone.

We can't say for certain if there is a connection to your Dickson branch but it looks quite likely.

I'll let you know of anything else i discover.

Offline LCL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Becky and Glen,

thanks for the census information, at this stage I am not sure, maybe the William Dickson with Jane is a possiblity, at this stage we have a couple of children for George Dickson and Jane Mosman, their son George and his family eventually came to Victoria Australia, he does have a brother William that we know nothing of at this stage.
Glen how fascinating about your partners ex family, I would dearly love to be able to contact this person as it sounds promising there is a conection there somewhere and thanks again for looking into the headstone for me and the other pictures. to both of you thanks so much for your help and interest. If you go to my web site http://users.bigpond.net.au/lawless-family-history/ and click on Dickson and you will see a brief history of My Dickson family and feel free to use my email to contact me.

thanks again to you both

Linda Lawless
Australia

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 August 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunatley there is no George in 1841, so must have gone to Northumberland before then.

William, nothing to compare with birth date of 1803 in Coldstream from 1841.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline jake15352

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 January 15 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I am from Canada, and have inherited a partially done family tree.  I am fascinated by the stuff, but alas,  I am new to this research thing.

I do see some ancestors posted here by Beckey, that we are direct descendants of. " James and Catherine Dickson with sons Thomas and Robert".  Just wondering if the Thomas and Christian posted with them are possibly his parents. 

What I can share is that they emigrated to Canada in 1846, approx.  There is no record of their journey across that has been located yet, however the immigration date was found on the census of one of their sons.  Is there a place to check outgoing migration from Scotland to see if a paper trail does exist for this families migration to Canada?

By the time they arrived to Canada, they also had a third son, not on this census.

Because they are all Dicksons on this Census for this area, is it likely they are all related?

Is there a way to go back further than this 1841 Census to find out what Catherines maiden name was, their wedding date, if they were born in Berwickshire, other kids, etc?   

His headstone in Canada, has the qualifier "Native of Dumfries" on it, so I'm not sure where he was born.

I also have a couple other questions:

I do not know Scotland geography very well, but am trying to learn it.  Does anyone know if people that were born in Dumfries in early 1800s would migrate to Coldstream?  They seem a fair distance apart on the map....I'm thinking...long walk!

Also, I did see some paperwork showing the variation of typical english lettering to Scottish lettering, which spells out to me that I won't be able to read the old documentation without first having a knowledge of the way it is written.  Thus I'm wondering if a membership to Ancestry.com would be better than a membership to a pay as you go site that I heard about thats in Scotland, for an illiterate in Scottish handwriting person such as myself?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Hope I've explained it well enough to be clear.  Jake.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 January 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I realise it is a long time since the original question was posted, but I have just picked up on this Lennel Dickson thread.

I have a Dickson burial in Lennel in my tree. Agnes Dickson, who died in 1868, was the second wife of my 3rd great grandfather George Murray. They had one daughter, Jane Agnes Murray.  The headstone in Lennel commemorates Agnes, George and his son William from his first marriage.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline LoisK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda,

Just going through some old posts and I remember seeing this one of yours years ago but I can't remember whether I ever replied to you.  Too long ago!  Your name certainly rings a bell so maybe I've been in touch with you by some other means if not here on Rootschat. 

Anyway, just wanted to inform you - and you might know this already by now - that the headstone was still standing when I was there in July 2018.  Stone is really solid but extremely difficult to read.  I have photos and a video of me searching for it through overgrown grass on a very hot windy day.  Reminded me of a similar hot blustery day I spent leaping around Bacchus Marsh Cemetery one summer, checking out all the Dicksons.  Are we related?  If so, do you have a tree online somewhere?  Mine is still in its early stages on Ancestry.

Best regards,
Lois Kittelty