Author Topic: Nantcwnlle Parish Records-Griffiths  (Read 14239 times)

Offline williadt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nantcwnlle Parish Records-Griffiths
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
brawd houdini,

I too am related to Griffiths from that part of Cardiganshire. I descend from Thomas Griffiths (b. c1786) who was a cattle drover. His son Griffith (b. 1827) owned the Stag's Head Inn from at least 1861-1881. Griffith's daughter Catherine Davies (b.c 1854) and her husband Thomas Davies and family were at Stag's Head in 1891. I think my Thomas (b. c1786) died at Tynrhos near Stag's Head, where another Thomas Griffiths (b. c1830), son of Griffith Griffiths (b.c1799) of Berwyn and Croes, lived in about 1851. I think that Griffith Griffiths (b.c 1799) could be related to my Thomas (b. c1786). I also have always wondered if my Thomas (b. c1786) was related to the Griffiths who went to Pennsylvania. I have included my blog link: http://cgn-griffiths.blogspot.com, which has more info on descendants and a map of where my Griffiths lived. I look forward to hearing from you to see if our families might be connected.

Regards,

David Williams

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 March 10 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,
                  Sorry for the late reply,hopefully what I have to relate might make up for it!Firstly are you aware of 'The Griffiths Pedigree'?This was a document produced by an American descendant of the Griffiths brothers who fled to Pennsylvania.It contains quite an exhaustive list of their ancestors back as far as the 1200's.If you type Griffiths Pedigree on Google this should come up,or try looking it up in Google books.Sadly this gives little information regarding the Cardigan shire Griffiths' beyond about 1700.Some of the Griffiths brothers siblings remained in Cardiganshire and I believe I am related through these.I have traced my tree as far back as 1773 but at this moment have struck a brick wall and am unable to go back any further so can't produce anything to link my tree to the Pedigree other than the the old Welsh custom of naming 1st-born sons after their paternal Grandfather.If we apply this then there is a definite connection.
                    I know there were connections between the Griffiths family and Llanddewi Brefi especially Coedmawr farm.I know also of a connection to do with Tynrhos,Llangeitho,so it seems likely that we have some connection.Do you know where your Thomas Griffith[b.1786] was born?Also do you know where your Griffith Griffiths[b.1799] was born?If we could trace the background to these two then maybe we could find some answers to both our quests!Both Thomas and Griffith are used as Christian names in the pedigree so there is every likelyhood you too have a connection.Let me know what you think,it might also help if you could let me know of Thomas and Griffith's descendants.I have come across drovers from Olmarch who I thought might be connected are you related to these?
                     Regards,David Griffiths
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline gwynfil

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Sorry to intrude but just a note to say I live in the old 'Stags Head' pub (now known as Hendrewen House) and stumbled on your entries whilst researching the history of the house & its occupants. Would anyone know the fate of Thomas & Catherine Davies after 1891 as I can find no later record of them and the Rowland family were in residence by 1893.

Tony.

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 February 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I don't know if any of you can help me, but i am also searching the Griffiths family William Griffiths 1775 he put his place of birth as Llanybyther on the census but for one where he put Abergorlech, Can anyone tell me if they have come across any other Griffith's from this village?  I believe his father may have been John Griffiths and I now there was a brother Thomas Griffiths who's son John died aged 9 in Abergorlech.
I know that Abergorlech is on the frindge of Cardiganshire.
Does anyone know where the chapel records may be kept for this parish?

Family names seem to be William, David, Thomas, John,

Offline Evan Griffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 11 12:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Brawd Houdini,

I think we may have the same problem. I traced my family tree back to an Evan Griffith in Llandewi brefi in 1754, and I'm aware of The Griffiths Pedigree and Rees Griffiths in 1711, but can't bridge the gap.

Would you like to exchange notes and ideas? We may be related.......

Regards,

Evan

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Evan,
                 Thanks for replying to this post and the other Re.Evans connections.It seems as if we are both at the same brick wall.The Griffiths Pedigree gives
 us a lot of information but it mostly[and rightly so] concerns itself with the American relations post the Griffiths brothers flight to America.I have been able to
trace my lineage back to 1778 but the link to The Pedigree cannot be confirmed as the Nantcwnlle Parish records for the 1700's are "missing"!
                 Maybe I am reading too much into this but it seems strange that after the event and the subsequent flight to America the Griffiths Family go from
being wealthy landowners to being tenant farmers of reduced means.Was there some Property confiscated in recompense to the Vicar of Llanddewi[at the
time he would have been a powerful man] or was there some actions of a devious nature?You have to say it has all the plot of a powerful novel!
                 However I digress,the reality is that so far the connection is not proven through official document.Through the old Welsh way [before the English
surnames turned everything upside down] there is a connection as the names of the Grandfather ,Father,Grandson,it all checks out,in regards to the time scale as well.The religious side as well makes sense as I know that the Griffiths family that I can trace were strong Non-conformists and they definitely had 
fiery temperaments!There is also this connection to Llanddewi Brefi.Nantcwnlle Parish came under Llanddewi at this time,hence the Griffiths brothers paying their Tithes there.I am certain that there remains a connection both in Property and in Family terms between the Griffiths families of both Parishes ,and that there is also some connection to the Parishes of Tregaron and Llangeitho,so there is a strong possibility that we are related.
                 We need to exchange notes and ideas as you suggest,perhaps you can PM me and we can progress from there.Any difficulty let me know on here.

Regards,David Griffiths
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Davies-
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline Evan Griffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
Errrr, PM you?

What does that mean?

If I can send you my email address, or you can send me yours, I can send you my notes on my family tree.

I had a half-hearted attempt at looking at the Wills for the Griffiths family prior to their emigration. I think I tracked down a few later members of the family, but it was all a bit unsystematic......

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry Evan-PM is Personal Message that is an e-mail that is not in the public domain.I have sent you an e-mail to explain.
Regards,David
Griffiths-
Davies-

Offline tregaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 December 12 01:51 GMT (UK) »
David/Evan, if I may join this thread...

The American branch of the Griffiths family from Llandewi brefi is well represented in our Griffith DNA project, with descendants of three of the sons of Griffith Griffiths. We would be delighted to add to our project cousins descended from his brothers William or John, as well as those families who chose to remain in Wales. Y-DNA tests can definitively establish whether or not two male lines share a common paternal ancestry. Please contact me at admin@dna.rdgriffith.com to compare notes.

Robert D. Griffith
Project Administrator

Griffi(th)(n)(s)(ng) Surname DNA Project
http://www.griffith.dna.rdgriffith.com