Author Topic: Regiments in New Barracks, Fermoy,County Cork,1885.  (Read 20326 times)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
Regiments in New Barracks, Fermoy,County Cork,1885.
« on: Monday 18 August 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I believe my Gt Grandad was in the Army and stationed in New Barracks, Fermoy, County Cork at the time of his marriage in 1885.

His Marriage record shows his occupation as *PRIVATE ROYAL.

Does anyone have a clue as to what that means or what Regiment it might refer to.

Is there any way of finding out which Regiments were billeted in New Barracks, Fermoy in 1885?

I'd appreciate any ideas/help.

Thanks

Barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Regiments in New Barracks, Fermoy,County Cork,1885.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara :)

In the autumn of 1885 the Battalion left Birr for Fermoy on the 19th of September. Fermoy had two Regiments in Garrison, in the older barracks was in the newly arrived 2nd Battalion of the Leinster Regiment, and in the new barracks was a Regiment known as the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

In November 1885 two companies of the 2nd Battalion, each made up all 100 non-commissioned officers and men, were sent on detachment to Limerick. The remainder of the Regimental stay in Fermoy was short-lived, with the remainder of the 2nd Battalion moving to Limerick in May 1886.

Pete :) :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 August 08 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for the info. I suppose my Gt Grandad could have been in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
Do you happen to know whether or not there would be lists held anywhere that could hold the names of the members of that Regiment at that time?
Or who might hold Marriage & Birth details of the Regt then?

Cheers

Barbara.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
Civil marriage certificates from GRO, Dublin:
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 August 08 22:21 BST (UK) »

you really need to post this question on the Armed forces board,,  Take a little time to explore this site,  I have been on here for what seems yonks, but I am still amazed at how helpful other folks are,

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 August 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pete,

Yes.that's a good idea, my only problem is that I can't seem to figure out yet how to access the Topics straight away or find the specific boards as you suggest.
I hope to get there eventually.

By the way, do you happen to know if the Royal Welsh Fusiliers were known as that in 1885?

Thanks
Barbara.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
Two photos found on the web of parades at Fermoy Barracks ..

caption on the first reads : 
"Proclaiming George V King, Fermoy 13?th May 1910, 1st Durham light Infantry and 2nd Sherwood Forresters on Parade"

and other reads :
"2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment, Fermoy 1904 / Cork 2 ? Riley"
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Patrick_T

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »

In the autumn of 1885 the Battalion left Birr for Fermoy on the 19th of September. Fermoy had two Regiments in Garrison, in the older barracks was in the newly arrived 2nd Battalion of the Leinster Regiment, and in the new barracks was a Regiment known as the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

In November 1885 two companies of the 2nd Battalion, each made up all 100 non-commissioned officers and men, were sent on detachment to Limerick. The remainder of the Regimental stay in Fermoy was short-lived, with the remainder of the 2nd Battalion moving to Limerick in May 1886.

Hell Pete,

Pete my Gt-grand dad John W Wigglesworth was married in the county of Fermoy in  Dec 1882, He joined the British army in 1879 in India, his father was also in the British army but he was an Irishman who served in the 17th-21st and the 25th KOSB.

John Wigglesworth also served in the same regiments all but the 17th. How would I go about finding any more info on his duties there, plus would his marriage be a civil ceremony or a military one? Would his wife have billetted with him or wouyld she have lived with the civilians of the time. any info would be gladly appreciated. many thanks,

Patrick