Author Topic: Simpson, Bracken - Kirkby Stephen  (Read 6742 times)

Offline jambongris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simpson, Bracken - Kirkby Stephen
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi. Looking for marriage of Anthony Simpson (died 1777 Kirkby Stephen) and Alice Bracken, believed to be 1st May 1736. Their children were all born Kirkby Stephen but I can't find the marriage. Thanks.
Simpson, Bracken - Westmorland
Simpson, Coats - Whitgift, Yorkshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson, Bracken - Kirkby Stephen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.  Where have you looked for the marriage?   It may well have been in the bride's parish and then they lived in KS.  How do you know her name was Bracken?    The IGI has various Simpson records but many are member submitted so not reliable.
Andrea

Offline jambongris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi - many thanks for the reply.
My info comes from details transcribed from an old family bible. I've been checking it back & it has proved very reliable so far. Unfortunately, it just gives names & dates - no places!
I've checked IGI for marriage & drawn a blank.
Alice Bracken was allegedly "sister to Dr Bracken, patron of the living" (of Whitgift, near Goole, Yorkshire - one of the sons later became curate under him). I've checked Clergy Database & this Dr Bracken is Edward, who held a number of posts in Snaith/Whitgift area, & ended up in York. However, I cannot conclusively find parents for Edward & Alice. I've checked Whitgift & Snaith, & they don't appear to have originated there.
The IGI has the baptism 1711 of Alice Brackon to John Brackon of Thrimby, Morland, Westmorland, & the baptism of Edward Bracken 1720 to John Bracken of Brough....but this is obviously speculative. Clergy database does have a John Bracken as curate of Brough, but much later, 1749.
So - nothing conclusive - just a good old hunch that they may have originated Westmorland.
Sorry to ramble on! Thanks for reading!
Carol

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 08 09:50 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of wills?   They sound an affluent family so will probably have left wills.   House deeds are often useful too.   Is the idea of Westmorland only from the IGI entry?    Morland is not that far from Brough but Bracken was a common name in that area and of course the IGI is not full coverage.
Andrea

Offline jambongris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 08 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Not sure how to go about finding a will as I live out of area??
Carol

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 August 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
All post 1858 wills are held at the probate office in Holborn, London and can be ordered from York.  Those prior to 1858 had to be proved in the consistory court for the area so are generally available at the appropriate record office.  Some are online at the PRO national archives documents online site.  It is always worth looking at www.genuki.com as they often list holdings of that sort.  The A2A.org.uk site has many record office catalogues on too and putting in Bracken and North West region brings up hundreds of references.  Most seem to be Bracken Hall but if you have time to wade through them you might find something of interest.  You could do a similar search for Yorkshire.  It will keep you busy for hours!
Andrea

Offline jambongris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.
Time is something i've learnt this hobby absorbs huge quantities of - I started as a little 'millenium project' & 8 years on am still making new breakthroughs!
Carol

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 September 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For Westmorland and Cumberland wills pre and post 1858 try Carlisle Records office (Lynda is very helpful). They have an index and will tell you over the phone or by email if they hold a will for a particular person. They need to know the name, place of death and date. It is cheaper getting copies from Carlisle.

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 September 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
hi . My family is from Kirby Stephan . can't say i have seen that name but i suggest you get onto Kirby Stephan thru google then go to Eve McLaughlin's site . she has many transcripts , weddings ,baptisms etc .
i have printed off a lot so will look for those names  . also Kirby Stephan has an historical society . I think maybe Silligen can get the phone number . also there is westmoreland wills on line and North? of the Sands amongst others that have helped me over the years.
Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..