Author Topic: Simpson, Bracken - Kirkby Stephen  (Read 6743 times)

Offline jambongris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson, Bracken - Kirkby Stephen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For Westmorland and Cumberland wills pre and post 1858 try Carlisle Records office (Lynda is very helpful). They have an index and will tell you over the phone or by email if they hold a will for a particular person. They need to know the name, place of death and date. It is cheaper getting copies from Carlisle.

Gillian

Thanks for the tip - westmorland wills site has will of Anthony's father, but not Anthony - will try carlisle
Carol
Simpson, Bracken - Westmorland
Simpson, Coats - Whitgift, Yorkshire

Offline jambongris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 18:09 BST (UK) »
hi . My family is from Kirby Stephan . can't say i have seen that name but i suggest you get onto Kirby Stephan thru google then go to Eve McLaughlin's site . she has many transcripts , weddings ,baptisms etc .
i have printed off a lot so will look for those names . also Kirby Stephan has an historical society . I think maybe Silligen can get the phone number . also there is westmoreland wills on line and North? of the Sands amongst others that have helped me over the years.
Jan

Thanks for the tips too - Nancy McLaughlin & I share Anthony Simpson as a common ancestor so her sites have been very useful in confirming info I had in a family bible. Simpson appears to be a relatively common name in the area; mine came from Hartley & Lockthwaite/Nateby. I really need to try & track down the Simpson-Bracken marriage which wasn't in Kirkby Stephen.
Carol
Simpson, Bracken - Westmorland
Simpson, Coats - Whitgift, Yorkshire

Offline jokris

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 16 00:09 BST (UK) »
I googled Kirkby Stephen Simpson and found my family. I would like to know more about the Simpson Bracken connection please.
Henry Simpson, born 1751 Kirkby Stephen, son of Anthony Simpson. Found newspaper death ref to Anthony brother of Henry in Newcastle. I've got several letters relating to Rev Bracken of Snaith from ecclesiastical records at Borthwick Inst. York.  Rev Henry Simpson vicar of Whitgift had close connections with Rev E Bracken.
Henry had daughter Alice who had daughter Catherine married John Hart, junior curate at Whitgift Church. I know a fair bit about them.
Also please does anyone have any info on Jane Coates who married Henry Simpson in 1775.