Author Topic: Trying to ascertain......  (Read 2380 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Trying to ascertain......
« on: Wednesday 20 August 08 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hello

My ancestors Thomas Haines (b Kirdford, Sussex 1757 or 1761) and Mary Charman (b Midhurst, Surrey 1759 or 1765) - not sure which dates are correct) m 18/7/1784 in Midhurst. According to an old book on the Haines family Mary bore 5 children then died in 1799 after the fifth.

However, again according to the book, the last child born was bap 14/6/1799 in Godalming - but none of those below fit. I found a child Ann who was b 14/6/1799 in Godalming but she would have been the sixth after:

John b 1785 d 1822
George Charman b 1789
Samuel b 1791 d 1848
Elizabeth b 1793
Robert b 1796 d 1820

A further child Mary Charman b 1790 (m Henry Charles Daubeny) is mentioned as John's sister, who must have d about 1820. I have located this person but she is either b in Wiltshire or New Maulden, Beds – both a long way from Godalming, no parents or date of d are mentioned. This information comes from John’s Will made in 1822. “A codicil was added to this Will on 11/4/1822 as a consequence of the deaths meanwhile of Robert and his sister Mary Charman Daubeny”

The book also mentions that one of the children lived to 86, another to 90 – who were these two?

Can anyone solve this puzzle please?

Simon

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to ascertain......
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

I found the following death that maybe one of yours

Deaths Dec 1876   
Haines  George Charman  88  Bath  5c 447   

the second name seems to tie in with your George.

I wondered if there was a second family who were related to yours living further afield.

I also believe sister could mean sister-in-law.

The other death maybe Elizabeth or Ann & you may be able to discover who died at 90 on FreeBMD if you know their married names.

Good luck
Wendy47
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for the reply. .I don't think Mary Charman Haines could have been John's sister-in -law. The likelyhood of 2 people (not connected) sharing the same middle and surname is remote. Possibly his cousin.

However I don't think that Charles Haines (who wrote the book about his name sakes in 1899) would make that sort of a mistake. His research is impeccable and thorough.

Simon

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:48 BST (UK) »
have you been to the RO to look at the PR's or have you relied on IGI and FHO?

the marriage licence dated 18 July 1784 for Thomas & Marys wedding states Thomas Haines bach. surgeon of Godalming Surrey aged 26
Mary was a spinster of Midhurst aged 25

John C Mercer Midhurst

the actual marriage took place 22 July 1784 where mary was said to be otp (i.e. Midhurst) she was a spinster and Thomas a bach of Godalming Surrey
witnesses were Margaret Swinburn and Jane Robson

does this help ?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 08 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for the extra marriage date in church. Does it mention the name of the church?

"Have you been to the RO to look at the PR's or have you relied on IGI and FHO?" I am not sure what this means?

Does this reference give any details for the children they produced?

John bap 22/5/1785 Godalming d 1822
George Charman bap 1/4/1789 Godalming d 1876
Samuel bap 8/4/1791 Godalming d 1848
Elizabeth bap 1 or 7/4/1793 Godalming d?
Robert bap 22/2/1796 Godalming d 1820
Ann bap 14/6/1799 Godalming d?
Mary Chraman b 27/6/1790 d @1820?

Simon

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 August 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
have you been to the RO to look at the PR's or have you relied on IGI and FHO?

Have you been to the Record Office to look at the Parish Registers orhave you reliedon IGI (familysearch.org) or Family Hstory Online? both of which proivde some Parish register details although not all and not all are transcribed.

so i was hinting there might be more informatio available at the record office than actuallyjust using these two sites,
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Paul Moorhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon (and anyone else who can help) I can supply the following information on  Henry Charles Daubeny. He was the eldest son of Charles Daubeny arch-deacon of Salisbury and Vicar of North Bradley (an Anglican theologian of some note he has an entry in DNB). Henry Charles was born in 1784. I'm interested however to find out what happened to him after 1820-22 when he was living in North Wraxall near Bradford on Avon and was High Constable for the Bradford Hundred, I suspect as you don't know the exact date of Mary's death that you may not be able to help but any clues would be appreciated. -- my interest is as an academic historian reasearching poor provision in Wiltshire, Daubeny was involved in protracted dispute with the Overseers of the poor in Bradford.

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

Here is all I have. She was a dau of Thomas Haines & Mary Charman

Mary Charman Haines (33)
Godalming, Surrey (bap 9/3/1787 - 20/4/1821) Godalming   
m 12/4/1814 at St Peter & St Paul, Godalming, Surrey
Henry Charles Daubeny/Daubeney (88)
Fundholder
High Consatable for The Bradford Upon Avon Hundres
He was involved in protracted dispute with the Overseers of the poor in Bradford   
North Bradley, Wilts (Feb 1785/6 bap 10/12/1786 - 1873) Greenwich?
(son of Charles & Elizabeth Barnston, he Archdeacon of    
Sarum/Salisbury & Vicar of North Bradley)
(2 children)   
He m (2) Anna Daubeny? before 1830 in France?   
Wraxall, Wilts (@1810 - 1897) Greenwich, London
(dau of ?
(2 children)

Perhaps you could fill in some of the gaps, dates etc if you have any and let me know

Simon

Offline Paul Moorhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 July 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

Thanks very much apologies for the delay in replying, notice of your reply got buried in my inbox. I don't have that much more to add apart from the fact that before saw your posting I had also located the Greenwich burial and found the notice below via google books, the fact that in 1841 he was living in France ties in with your information that his second  marriage was there. I have also got scans of an 1827 pamphlet he published 'Some Reasonings on the Distresses of the Poor, (agriculturists & Manufacturers)...' This describes the Bradford controversies from his point of view. There are also documents about this in the Wiltshire County Archives and letters from HCD to Lord Sidmouth the home secretary in the HO/52 series at the National Archives (available online for free).  On the frontispiece of the 1827 pamphlet  he describes himself as an 'architect and engineer'.

I guess you're aware that there is extensive Daubeny genealogical material in the London Metropolitan Archives (compiled by Sir Henry Charles Barnston Daubeny, a great nephew of our HCD) -- I've not managed to see it yet and doubt I will before submitting my dissertation.   If you are able to and it contains any more biographical info on HCD I'd be interested in knowing about it.
Best wishes Paul --

ps if you want the 1827 pamphlet I'm happy to share.

London Gazette 1841 - p3255

Nº. is hereby given, that Henry Charles Daubeny, late of Windsor, in the county of Berks, but now residing at Boulogne sur-Aler, in the kingdom of France, has made application to Her Majesty's Attorney General, for leave to enter a memorandum of alteration in the specification of a Patent granted to him for his “invention or im provement in the making and forming of paddle wheels for the use of vessels propelled in the water by steam or other power, and applicable to propel vessels and mills,” as follow s. at the end of the first | clause of the said specification, to insert the words, “l also propose adapting the same principle to the common wheel," being to the effect, that his said invention or improvement is equally applicable to the present form of paddle wheels, or to wheels with horizontal floats, as to wheels with vertical floats, as described in his said specification.— Dated this 16th day of December 1841. Western and Son, No. 7, Great James-street, Bedford-row.