Author Topic: Richard TREVITHICK  (Read 11172 times)

Offline ChrissieD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard TREVITHICK
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah
Just found this site so hope this isn't too late to help. I bought another book by Edmund Vale-'Harveys of Hayle' off the internet and inside the cover there's family trees for John Harvey (Jane's father) and Richard Trevithick. John Harvey is my 4/? great uncle as his sister Sarah is my 4/?G grandmother. So I guess we are cousins of some sort! regards Chrissie

Offline ChrissieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Welsh_Angel, I meant to include you in this reply! Chrissie

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Just in case it helps somebody ;)

I doubted immediately that a man born 1775 was the father of children born in the 1840s, and the list of baptisms MarMknly gave showing parents inconsistent with what is known of Henry 1775 seems to settle that question.

These are that family in the 1841 census in St Pancras:

H Harvey, 35, carpenter (as William was in 1871)
? Harvey, 25 (Anc'y transcribes name as Lewesia but ...)
Henry, 9
James, 6
Susan, 3
Edward, 1

Edward is the only one in the family born in county, and of course it doesn't tell us where the others were born.

I've had no luck finding them in 1851 or 1861. In 1871, William is married to a Jane, so that marriage certificate is where the search has to start, to confirm his father's name and details. (And if the marriage can't be identified, a birth certificate for one of their children, to get the mother's full name. Fortunately, they had a son named Augustus born in Islington. ;) )

If only all the stories about our ancestors were true ... I'd have a title other than "Ms." now. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
One of my relatives, William Husband, was managing director of Harveys of Hale and lived next door to Jane Trevithick in 1861.

I thought I had some information on the Harvey family but can't find it. However, there is a tree with the details of William but it doesn't seem to tie in with him being descended from Henry of 1775. William's birth is given as 16th June 1842 in St Pancras but he was baptised in Camden on 7th March 1847. Note that Familysearch gives the birth as 9th November 1842.

According to the tree, his parents were Henry Harvey, 1805 in St Levan to 1873 in Islington, and Susannah Millan, 1803 in Perranwell (Perranarworthal?) to 1847.

Henry's parents are given as Humphrey Harvey, 1762-1822, and Maria Eva, 1766-1851. There is no Jane Harvey in the family.

His second marriage, 16th November 1847 in Perranarworthal to Ann Bawden, gives his father as Humphrey Harvey. His residence is given as St Pancras - http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=506778
One of the witnesses at his first marriage was George Eva, which ties in with his mother's surname.

David

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Henry's "second marriage, 16th November 1847 in Perranarworthal to Ann Bawden"
-- ah, that explains the William I had glanced at in Islington in the 1861 census then. If I had pursued it and looked at the details and the original image ...

Henry Harvey, 56, carpenter, born Camborne, Cornwall
> Ann, 57, born Perranarworthal, Cornwall
Susan, 22 (not 27 as transcribed at Anc'y), tailoress, born London, Clerkenwell
William, 19, carpenter, born London, Clerkenwell

And the full complement in 1851 in St Pancras is:

Henry Harvey, 46
Ann, 48
Henry W, 19, born Camborne
Thomas, 17
Edward, 14
William, 10
James, 8
Emma Kent, 14, visitor, born Perranwell

Henry W is actually Ann's son with her previous husband William Bawden:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1478546
although hm, her marriage to Henry Harvey states she was a spinster, father James; baptism:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=814907
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 January 13 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Trevithick, Richard must be a somewhat common name in Cornwall.  I have one born abt 1855 in Calstock to William and Susan Trevithick.  Richard's sister, Selina, married a Charles Thomas.  Their oldest daughter married one of my ancestors who emigrated to the US from Liverpool.  Selina and her daughter, Thurza, were both born in Calstock.  Thurza married Albert Henry Dawe.  The couple settled in western Michigan.  Just adding another Richard to the discussion.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Trevithick

what an interesting surname
Trevithick was involved with Vivian regarding Steam Engines and carriages  , written about by Elijah C E Galloway in a book called "The history of the steam engine"
for which there were some court cases. There are numerous entries of Richard Trevithick circa 1872 .,  who was written about with folk like Sir Christopher Hawkins.

I have extracted this >

TREVITHICK, Francis. See ante ii, 798. Chief
engineer and manager of L. & N.W.R. Co's
engineering works at Crewe, d. The Cliff,
Penzance 27 Oct. 1877. bur. The Cemetery 2
Nov. cf The Academy xii, 448 (1877).

TREVITHICK, Richard. See ante ii, 799-800.
cf. A concise account of steam carriages (Lond.
Simpkin 1834) passim; Will. Pole's Sir Will.
Fairbairn (1877) pp. 258-60; F. Whymper's
The Sea (Lond. CassellJ ii, 96 with portrait ; Cat.
of portraits in museum of commissioners of patents
(Lond. 1859) pp. 27, 35, 37.
Life of Richard Trevithick C.E. and Life of
George Stephenson C. E. By Hyde Clarke esq.
[Lond.] n.d. [1849?] 8°. pp. 23. Clockmakers
Library in Guildhall Lib. London. The life of R.
Trevithick is on pp. 1-11.
Trevithick's Engine for thrashing corn made
at Hayle foundry in 1811 for Sir Christopher
Hawkins shewn at the Royal Agricultural Show
at Kilburn 1879. The Engineer xlvii, 424, 441,
448 (1879) with view.
Note.—An engraving of this Engine on a fol. sh.
was made at the expense of Rich. Bissell Prosser of the
Trade Marks registration office 1879.
Account of the explosion on 15 Sep. 1803 of
a steam engine, erected by Messrs. Vivian and
Trevithick near Woolwich. Repertory of Arts
iii, 394 (1803).
Hand transcribed from > Bibliotheca Cornubiensis

:)