Author Topic: Richard TREVITHICK  (Read 11161 times)

Offline sarahneil

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Richard TREVITHICK
« on: Sunday 11 April 04 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for a little help.  Well actually a BIG help.  I have been told that Richard Trevithicks wife Jane Harvey is an ancestor of mine.  Obviously one of her brothers is my ggx? grandfather.

As three of her four brothers died in their 20's, I'm sort of guessing that it may be her youngest brother Henry (but obviously I could be wrong).  

My question is this - does anyone out there either know if Janes family has been researched and published or if not give me any clues on how I can fill the gap between Henry bn 1775 to my GG grandfather William Harvey who was born in London in 1843?

Many thanks

Sarah Neil

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Richard Trevithick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 04 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

Your Grandfather William Harvey, have you already found a birth Certificate or Marriage certificate for him yet?

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline sarahneil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
No - all I know is that he was born in London in 1843.  There are quite a few that were born and I don't know anything other than his name - so I don't know how to eliminate the ones which aren't him!

Any help/ideas appreciated!

Sarah

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 May 04 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

What information do you already have which leads you to his date of birth of 1843?

Have you looked for him in the census returns?

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 04 22:27 BST (UK) »
Sarah,

I found a Richard Trevithick around the right age in Cornwall, could this be him ?

Richard TREVITHICK   Head   M   Male   37   St Erth, Cornwall, England   Corn Merchant    
 Fanny TREVITHICK   Wife   M   Female   35   North Curry, Somerset, England        
 William P. TREVITHICK   Son   U   Male   13   Phillack, Cornwall, England   Scholar    
 John H. TREVITHICK   Son      Male   9   Phillack, Cornwall, England   Scholar    
 Bessie R. TREVITHICK   Daur      Female   7   Phillack, Cornwall, England   Scholar    
 Mary B. UREN   Servant   U   Female   26   Uny Lelant, Cornwall, England   Housemaid Domestic Serv    
 Hester HOSKING   Servant   U   Female   24   Phillack ((Hayle)), Cornwall, England   Cook Domestic Serv    

The Hollies
St Erth, Cornwall, England
RG11/2339 Folio 91 Page 17

Offline sarahneil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 May 04 08:43 BST (UK) »
The info I have regarding William Harvey's date of birth is from the 1871 census.  This tells me that he was 28 and born St Pancras.  All efforts to trace his birth through the registry office have proved fruitless.

Re Richard Trevithick.  The info you gave me is not the correct one.  My Richard Trevithick was born 13 April 1771 and died 22 April 1833 his wife Jane Harvey was born 25 June 1772 and died 21 March 1868.  It is one of her brothers that is the link I am looking for.  There are 3 possibilites but as the name is so prolific I am having real problems tracking from them to my William.  That is why I was hoping details of her family - bearing in mind the link with someone as famous as Richard Trevithick might have already been researched.

I do know that the Harvey family were at the time of Jane's marriage to Richard one of the the most affluent and influential families in Cornwall.

Any ideas gratefully received!!

Sarah

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Trevithick
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi just browsing and saw your old query regarding trying to link William Harvey to Jayne Harvey wife of Richard Trevithick.
I expect you did a bit of detective work in "familysearch" by searching on the parents names of Jayne Harvey [John and Joanna], and came up with a number of children born in Carnhell, Cornwall to these parents to include:
Jayne  b 25.6.1772
Henry c 3.9.1775
Francis  b 31.3.1765 and d 15.8.1767
Francis b 5.10.1767
Joanna 5.2.1757
William 31.1.1763
William 19.11.1758 [must have died]
John 24.8.1760
Elizabeth 25.4.1779

The same for your St Pancras birth of William Harvey shows that the following children were all christened on the same day and have the same parents [Henry and Susan/Susannah] - so seems an undoubtable link:

William born 9.11.1842 Christened 7.3.1847 at St Peter, Saint Pancras, London
Edward Born 19.8.1840 Christened as above
Susan born 31.8.1838 and christened as both above

There are also another two names:
Henry christened 23.7.1837 at St Leonards Shoreditch and John born 11.8.1843 and christened at St Leonards on 11.9.1843 who alsi have the same parental names of Henry and Susan/Susannah

Su
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarahneil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 February 05 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to find out that info for me, it is much appreciated.

Sarah

Offline welsh_angel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

I don't know if this is of any interest, or whether you've already seen it:

It's a long time since this message was posted however hopefully we can still establish contact. I am descended from Henry Harvey of Hayle, brother of Jane who married Richard Trevithick. I purchased over the internet a 2ndhand copy of the book "Henry Harvey of Hayle" by Edmund Vale which gives a family tree on the inside cover. Henry Harvey never married so nothing is shown of his descendants in the book however he had a common law wife, Grace Tonkin(g) by whom he had 10 children. All the children were baptised with Harvey as their middle name and he provided for Grace and the children in a separate trust. Grace and the children lived in Mellenear House, Hayle.
Henry added a "g" to the Tonkin name in order to distinguish Grace's family from others of the same name. Grace was the daughter of Thomas Tonkin. I have a little more information to share if you are interested

So it would seem, from this information, that Henry Harvey's children's surname was Tonking and not Harvey. So, could it be that Henry Harvey and William Harvey aren't related?