Author Topic: Offer:Look-up Liverpool (Mersey) Pilots 1734/1990  (Read 188088 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Offer:Look-up Liverpool (Mersey) Pilots 1734/1990
« Reply #441 on: Thursday 29 October 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information much appreciated....if you do get to the Liverpool Maritime Museum I'm sure you'll enjoy it...yes if you do please bear me in mind with any additional info. I'm due a visit to Liverpool myself but unfortunately the department I need to visit is only staffed Monday and Tuesday...my visit doesn't coincide with those days.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Thursday 29 October 15 22:40 GMT (UK) »
William Pinnington, pilot, died at Elstow Street, Kirkdale on 6 December 1874 per the Probate Calendar (administration with will to widow Elizabeth).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Friday 30 October 15 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Shaun has answered with the info from Beyond the Bar.
Gores directory of 1853 has William Pinnington, Pilot, living at 24 George St, Birkenhead.
Kellys 1860 has William Pinnington at 161 Dale Street, "Earl Grey" (hotel, public house)
He is not listed with the pilots as a Master in 1860.
Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Offline libbyoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Sunday 22 November 15 05:13 GMT (UK) »
The Mersey pilot, Samuel Morris Jones of Silverdale, Liverpool, is also grandfather of Martin Morris Jones, born in Liverpool but now living in Brunei Darussalam.  Martin's dad was Harold Morris Jones. Martin knows an uncle went to Canada. We'd love to get in contact with njones if possible.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Saturday 13 February 16 14:36 GMT (UK) »
William Pinnington, pilot, died at Elstow Street, Kirkdale on 6 December 1874 per the Probate Calendar (administration with will to widow Elizabeth).

Shaun do you have access to records that may help with this   - Dublin Medical Press June 22 1859 – Reported that Dr Lamphier SS Nemesis made a contribution towards the Medical Benevolent Fund Society of Ireland. The SS Nemesis was a Laird built ship that launched from Liverpool and was involved in the Opium Wars. It was not per se a military ship but was involved in that conflict. What I am trying to ascertain is the full name of Dr Lamphier, where he was from ( Iknow he was Irish but town/county) and when he served his next of kin - or at least where you might suggest I look for the same information.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Saturday 13 February 16 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Pedude - we can divine from the news item that your Dr Lamphier was a ship's surgeon on the P&O liner Nemesis.

It's possibly the Dr Richard Lamphier from Cork who was later in practice in Lincolnshire, Born around 1825.

This has nothing to do with Liverpool pilots so you would do better to start a new thread on the common room board. 

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Saturday 13 February 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Pedude - we can divine from the news item that your Dr Lamphier was a ship's surgeon on the P&O liner Nemesis.

It's possibly the Dr Richard Lamphier from Cork who was later in practice in Lincolnshire, Born around 1825.

This has nothing to do with Liverpool pilots so you would do better to start a new thread on the common room board.

Thanks Shaun...I get what you mean about a different topic too

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Saturday 13 February 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
By way of confirmation for Pedude - this is from an 1860 medical directory on Google books:

Offline RosieG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Came across your 'investigation's' after watching programme on UK television re Mersey river pilots and found out my mother's uncle was Leslie Holmes.  Don't know if your still looking into your family roots but William Clifford Holmes was her father.  He had two daughters (my mum & auntie who are both still alive).  William J's six daughters were Hilda, Rita, Verna, Trixie (Beatrice), Bradbury & Ida.  All lived in Wallasey.  I know Bradbury was the youngest and worked as a hairdresser on board a ship.  Which daughter was your grandmother?  If you have any gaps in your family tree, please advise as my mum has a mountain of background info.