Author Topic: Offer:Look-up Liverpool (Mersey) Pilots 1734/1990  (Read 187988 times)

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Offer:Look-up Liverpool (Mersey) Pilots 1734/1990
« Reply #477 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh Dear. Pity. Thanks for looking - I will keep up the search - Alison
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline davenbl

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
In an excerpt of a conversation about Joseph Bennett in 1822 between davecigar and RickyC, Ricky made the following comment about 'condition of service' linking the keeper of the lighthouse and master of the lifeboat being removed.

It's a long shot as it's a 7 year old post but where would RickyC have read that the 'condition of service' had been removed?

Thanks,

Dave Nbl

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

In 1809, it was a 'condition of service' that the Hoylake Lighthouse Keeper was also Coxswain of the Hoylake Lifeboat.
So Joseph Bennett would have filled both positions until he retired as Coxswain in 1822.
At this point, the 'condition of service' was removed, thus allowing Joseph Bennett to continue as Lighthouse Keeper until his death in 1828.
Unfortunately nobody knows who took over as Coxswain after Joseph Bennett's retirement in 1822. Thus Hoylake Lifeboat Station's list of Coxswains remains blank for the period 1822 to 1840.

RickyC.

Offline Alex Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for some information about a Mersey Pilot, named George Williams. I believe he worked in this field, during the 1930's and maybe the 20's too.
Thanks in advance.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: Friday 21 April 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for some information about a Mersey Pilot, named George Williams. I believe he worked in this field, during the 1930's and maybe the 20's too.

Welcome to Rootschat, Alex

Barrie Youde (Beyond the Bar) lists a G H Williams born 1906, licensed 1928, died 1946 - is that your man?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alex Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:06 BST (UK) »

Hi, no I believe he died much later, 1987 I think.

Welcome to Rootschat, Alex

Barrie Youde (Beyond the Bar) lists a G H Williams born 1906, licensed 1928, died 1946 - is that your man?

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have at least two g-g-g-grandfathers who were pilots on the Mersey. I have a transcript of the Character Book for one of them, but I'd like to learn more about the other one. I know his name was Mark Hudson and I believe he died - presumably in service at sea -  between 1839 (when my g-g-grandmother was born) and 1841 (by which time his wife was a widow according to the 1841 census). Unfortunately I know no more than that.

Can anyone advise me where the Character Books are kept and how one might get access to them ?

Many thanks, Gordon.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Mark Hudson was drowned on Tuesday 21 January 1840 per contemporary press reports.

I think the Character Books are held at the Maritime Museum in Liverpool.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/liverpool-pilots/item-635608.aspx

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/archive/sheet/65
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glenburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
You should be aware that the MMM Archives are closed until Spring 2018 owing to 'developments'.

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
Blimey !!!! Thank you so much for such a swift reply. I was expecting a simple 'died at sea' but this is such a moving account of his death.

Thank you so much, Gordon.