Author Topic: Knoydart Burial Grounds.  (Read 11335 times)

Offline ceitidh.

• RootsChat Extra
  • heaven on earth : ob gorm mor : wester ross.
    • View Profile
Knoydart Burial Grounds.
« on: Wednesday 20 August 08 22:59 BST (UK) »

I have some ancestor's who lived in the Knoydart area; some along Loch Hourn and some who lived along the Sound of Sleat and Loch Nevis. What i'm trying to establish is the possible burial grounds in which these people may have been buried. I know how remote this particular area was/is and sort of assumed that the burial areas would be used for people over quite a wide area.

I have a number of people whose place of death is Barisdale Bay and Rhunival, both on Loch Hourn. These date from 1855 to 1926. Likewise, a number of my ancestor's died in Inverguseran and Airor; these dating from 1855 up until 1908. My 4 x Great Grandmother died in Inverguseran in 1856, the burial place listed on her death certificate was Kilchoan.

I'm planning a trip up to Knoydart in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knows of the likely burial grounds for these areas? I've visited the area a couple of times before and I know just how remote this area was/is. I'm assuming that due to this, its likely that one or two burial grounds would have served the areas in question?

Many thanks in advance!

Ceitidh.
Invernesshire: MacMaster/McMaster, Stewart, MacDonald, Cameron.
Skye: Bain, MacLeod, MacKinnon, MacNab, Bethune.
Fife: MacMaster/McMaster, Paterson, Mowbray, Blyth.
Glasgow: Costello, Haughey, McLaren, McPhee.

Now you may live a different place,
Brought up and lived a different way,
But if you have our blood in your veins,
Then you will know us, know home, know who you are.

- ancestors : albannach

Offline stuartknoy

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Knoydart Burial Grounds.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 16:23 BST (UK) »
I have just seen your post, just back from holidays, - hope you haven't left for knoydart yet!

My experience is mainly with Kilchoan graveyard - where most of my relatives were buried.

Kilchoan is fairly well kept, with many 1800's and later stones legible. It dealt with people from across knoydart i think.
My grandmother, now dead, told me that both at Inverguseran and Barrisdale there were older burial grounds
on small islands I think, but I have no idea what state they are in or when they were used up to.

My family are mainly Mcphails, Mcphee, Mcdonalds etc in Doune, Sandaig, Inverie etc.  My grandmother, born 1912, grew up in Inverie/Alltmhoulin/Scottas and I am sure she went to school with some Mcmasters and Stewarts - I'll see what I can dig up!

best regards

stuart

Offline ceitidh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 17:11 BST (UK) »

Hi Stuart,

I'm actually not going to be in the area until October, so your reply is certainly very, very welcome! I've visited Loch Hourn twice; once from Kinloch Hourn way and the second time from the ferry crossing at Arnisdale.

There is a small island just off of Barrisdale Bay that is accessible when the tide is low. I was just a teeny bit dissapointed to see however that it is evidently a very old burial ground; the stones could easily be mistaken for being just that, partially covered bits of rock! I'm assuming that this area was either a much older burial ground, or had just been battered by years of wind and rain.

My Great-Great-Great Grandfather was the Gamekeeper at Barrisdale for a good few years, also staying at Rhunival and Skiary further towards Kinloch Hourn. His elder brother was a Gamekeeper also and he is recorded as having lived at Scottas, Niagard and Airor. After he died, his widow (a McDonald), continued to live in the area.

Quite a lot of my MacMaster's lived and died in Knoydart and I would just really love to know exactly where they are buried. I found photographs of Kilchoan graveyard on the net once, but can't for the life of me remember where! It looks like a lovely place. I'd be really interested to hear any information you have/find!

Thanks again,

Ceitidh.

Offline stuartknoy

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - but it is a busy time for me etc

Anyway...I talked to my dad today and he remembers quite a lot of McMasters - some of whom are related to us.....

So - here goes around 1900 one of the McMasters married one of my McPhee's in Knoydart and then moved to Salen/Ardnamurchan area - where they still are I think - the children were Iain and Duncan McMaster I think - my dad remembers them coming to various great-uncles funerals in the 1970's and 1980's - does this ring any bells?

I will send you a full family tree when I get my act together.

Apart from that.....

Kilchoan graveyard(s) - they are 2 circular stone enclosures - are in the middle of a field - normally inhabited by highland cattle or deer - but they are fairly well kept - certainly the "modern" stones etc.

Sorry that this information comes in drips and drabs but I am busy and live in Spain!

More later

Stuart

Offline ceitidh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RE: Knoydart Burial Grounds.
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 08 14:29 BST (UK) »

No worries, I just started a new college course so I know how busy things can be!

I have a John MacMaster marrying a Margaret MacPhee at Inverie in 1921, thats the only one that I could find. Apart from that, Duncan and Iain have both been popular/common names in my family and have been used repeatedly for generations; both my dad and my brother are called Iain. I don't know a huge amount about the MacMasters/McMasters who lived in Knoydart; my Great-Great Grandfather left the area after he married and moved down to Fife for some reason, I'm sure it he had a perfectly good reason but I know where i'd rather have been born!

Thanks again,

Ceitidh.

Offline sheannachie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I'm new to this site and live in Knoydart.  I have some info on the Kilchoan burial ground and other areas.  When are you coming to Knoydart?
J.

Offline ceitidh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:14 BST (UK) »

Hello,

I'm actually staying in Spean Bridge for a few days later on in the month but was looking into getting the ferry over from Mallaig on one of the days so that I could have a little nose about. I think its about the 19th or 20th of October.

Ceitidh.

Offline sheannachie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
I'll be here then with a vehicle if I can be of any use just let me know.
j

Offline scottas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
I have just seen your post, just back from holidays, - hope you haven't left for knoydart yet!

My experience is mainly with Kilchoan graveyard - where most of my relatives were buried.

Kilchoan is fairly well kept, with many 1800's and later stones legible. It dealt with people from across knoydart i think.
My grandmother, now dead, told me that both at Inverguseran and Barrisdale there were older burial grounds
on small islands I think, but I have no idea what state they are in or when they were used up to.

My family are mainly Mcphails, Mcphee, Mcdonalds etc in Doune, Sandaig, Inverie etc.  My grandmother, born 1912, grew up in Inverie/Alltmhoulin/Scottas and I am sure she went to school with some Mcmasters and Stewarts - I'll see what I can dig up!

best regards

stuart
Part of family too,are from the Knoydart McPhails.
My paternal great grandfather married Catherine McPhail at Inverie in 1904.
Her father was John McPhail who married Mary McPhie at North Morar in 1875.
He was the son of Duncan and Rebecca (Fraser) McPhail who was the son of, as far as I can read old old documents on line,Neil and Sarah (McDonald) McPhail.
That up till now is all I know.

Do you know if any of the above was directly related to the McPhail of the 7 men of Knoydart fame?

Thanks,
scottas.