Author Topic: Robert Heterick or Hettrick  (Read 6025 times)

Offline hetricksj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Heterick or Hettrick
« on: Friday 22 August 08 02:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching a Robert Hetrick/Heterick/Hettrick.  Robert was an educator at the University of Edinburgh and the family postulates that prior to travelling to the US, he may have been involved with the Peel School on the Isle of Man.  Does anyone know of this school or a way to investigate this claim.  This would have been between 1780 and 1784.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hetrick, Hettrick, Heterick, Hetterick

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Heterick or Hettrick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 08 09:48 BST (UK) »
there were three schools he could have been at - see http://www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/ch1831/gn.htm - though more likely he was at mathematical school - all teachers at the other schools would need to be licenced by the Bishop and there should be records to verify this - try Manx National Heritage library at manx Museum enquiries [at] mnh.gov.im - however I appear to have no record of him on my site
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 08 09:32 BST (UK) »
There is a jane Hetterick (several diff spellings in baptismal reg) who married John Corkan at Patrick 18090212 (Ketterick in Igi) - Patrick is just down road from Peel  - in 1851 she is a widow at Knockaloe beg (visible from my window in Peel) and born Peel - suspect buried Peel (German) 18761126 age 92 - I can't find any matching baptism however but the likely year of birth matches your date

Jane might be the illeg dau of Margt Welch - bapt Patrick 17850116 - no father given (tho this info might be available from either Bishops Transcripts or more likely presentments which are currently being indexed by volunteers at Manx museum (try enquiries [at] mnh.gov.im), Manx knew illegs by their father's name - it is possible that Margt Welch married in 1800 James Irvin but I can't find her burial or in the 1841c
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hetricksj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
There is a jane Hetterick (several diff spellings in baptismal reg) who married John Corkan at Patrick 18090212 (Ketterick in Igi) - Patrick is just down road from Peel  - in 1851 she is a widow at Knockaloe beg (visible from my window in Peel) and born Peel - suspect buried Peel (German) 18761126 age 92 - I can't find any matching baptism however but the likely year of birth matches your date

Jane might be the illeg dau of Margt Welch - bapt Patrick 17850116 - no father given (tho this info might be available from either Bishops Transcripts or more likely presentments which are currently being indexed by volunteers at Manx museum (try enquiries [at] mnh.gov.im), Manx knew illegs by their father's name - it is possible that Margt Welch married in 1800 James Irvin but I can't find her burial or in the 1841c

Very interesting.  The family story is that Robert Heterick arrived in Pennsylvania, USA about 1784; but I have no hard evidence of the date.  It is, however coincident with the dates you've provided.  He was noted to have been an avide teacher of Latin in two different schools in the US (one in Pennsylvania and the other in Virginia).  Supposedly his teaching method required his students to speak only Latin in his classroom.
Hetrick, Hettrick, Heterick, Hetterick

Offline TrishCr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Robert Heterick is my 4 x G Grandfather. He fathered a child with Margaret Walsh; Jane Ketterick b: 1785. Jane married John Corkan and their son Robert Corkan arrived in Australia prior to his marriage in Sydney in 1853. I am descended from this line. I have Robert Hetericks parents as William Heterick and M Hunter.