Author Topic: Good News ! 1911 Census!  (Read 51878 times)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Good News ! 1911 Census!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 January 07 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gabbers - there is already a thread about this here: 'Sign the petition re 1911 census' http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,205631.0.html

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline gabbers

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edward & Minnie Fox (my gr grandparents)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 January 07 11:48 GMT (UK) »
hi
i thought there might be, trust me to post it again,  :-X thanks for letting me know.
Gabbers
Chaplin(Cheshire/Lancs), Watson(Lancs), Tredrea(Lancs/Cornwall), Budgen(Lancs/Sussex), Dickinson(Lancs)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 18:51 GMT (UK) »
In a press release dated today 17th January on the TNA website states that a digital version of the 1911 census searchable by name and address is now planned to be available from 2009, the full version will still be withheld until 2012.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/17jan2007.pdf

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm patiently (well, not actually) waiting for the 1921 ... Gr. gr parents were alive in 1912 and I've 'lost' them after that ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GOOD NEWS! 1911 Census!
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 21:04 GMT (UK) »

I must admit, I don't like this.
I consider all of the info I provided 'Private' and I resent the thought that people might be able to have access to it

I sympathise, Anita, and part of me agrees with you - but nowadays so much information is in the public domain it seems unreasonable to make an exception of the address you were living in over 90 years ago. For example, anyone who wants to can buy copies of my divorce papers, including the decree nisi, which spells out all the details of the split. Also anyone can buy copies of your spouse's/parent's will, showing exactly what you inherited (or didn't inherit). Now medical histories are computerised, all sorts of admin people have access to information you may want to keep to yourself. It seems to me that these things are far more 'private' than a 90 year old address.

What do other people think?

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I  think govts & private organisations use the word privacy to hide their own inefficient practices and desire to limit knowledge of their own activities. My address is in the phone book (which is on line). My phone number is on hundreds of tele market phone lists - and they don't care 2 bits about my privacy, nor does the government care that they keep calling against my wishes.

In 100 years I doubt that few will know/care whether I lived or not - I would just as much rather - if some lost family were looking for me, that they found me alive, rather than dead. If someone wants to "steal" my identity, it won't be the census information that helps in this task.

I can't remember any thing I said on a census that I would be bothered if it was known (apart from my age)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 22:56 GMT (UK) »
trish -  ;D - good points, well made !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 January 07 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I was looking through Debrett's Peerage online the other day, something I've never looked at before.  I was curious, but a bit squeamish about how much info is on there, including divorces, children etc., although not the gory details.  When you're an aristocrat, everyone is interested in your lineage, and everything is carefully tracked.
And it seems that if you're an aristocrat, you must think that this is all perfectly normal.  Or, do aristocrats cringe too? 
Is that why it's a much bigger deal to "let down the family name" if you misbehave when you come from a Debrett's family?
Made me think of papparazzi (sp?), and their impact, Diana notwithstanding.
Any aristos out there who would care to comment?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 January 07 10:28 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Nov 1951, so the first Census on which I will appear is the 1961 Census

This will be released on Jan 1st 2062 if present criteria are used.
I would be if still alive 110 years old. Don't think I really mind this being publicly available

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com