Author Topic: james saunders or saunders-loder  (Read 25816 times)

Offline WHITMORE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james saunders or saunders-loder
« on: Saturday 23 August 08 04:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding James Saunders - could be Saunders-loder.  Came to New Zealand about 1840-50 - don't know from where but could have been England. He was a whaler in North Otago New Zealand but appears to have most of his life at Waitaki.  He married a Maori lady named Peri

Any help with be very much appreciated
Margaret Invercargill New Zealand

Offline tenby tart

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: james saunders or saunders-loder
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Whitmore

Had a look on familysearch this is what I found not sure if you had this info already but it looks as if James was born in NZ

BIRTH abt1820 of, Papakaio Otago NZ

Death 1861

Marriage Mrs Peri Saunders 1845 of, Te-Puna-Omaru Otago NZ

He died young only 41

Regards Lynne

P.S Had a quick look on 1841 english census but there were 660 James Saunders?

Weare Monmouthshire
Bossolo Besselo Italy
Watkins Risca Monmouthshire
Perry Birmingham

Offline WHITMORE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 08 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply - I have seen this information.  I will keep looking - again many thanks.

Margaret

Offline horsepower28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 09 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret
James Saunders-Loder  (also known as Jimmy The Needle) boatman on the Waitaki in his later years. He drowned crossing the Waitaki on or about Dec 28, 1862. He is buried at Georgetown cemertary. He married Pere Kapu, they had 2 children John & Emma. The info I have says he married again to a Peti Wixon, they had 2 children James & Henry. I'm not sure if he was born in NZ or imergrated from England  but I understand he was on the whaling ships. Hope this helps.
Dean

Offline WHITMORE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 January 09 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dean

Your information sounds very similar to mine - can I ask were you got it from

cheers Margaret

Offline horsepower28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 09 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret
Well I'm not 100% sure. I've got a photocopy of a newspaper article dated Jan 10, 1884 that I got of an auntie, also a letter to the editor article from the O.D.T. dated 16/3/90 that had a couple of things that was written by a Pat Palmer from CHCH. I have got some things from Ngi Tahu records since he marrird a Maori woman and things like cemertry records etc. I have seen his grave at Georgetown, and my interest being that I'm a desendent of his, he goes back about 5 generations? I would be most grateful for any information that you may have to help fill in some gaps etc.
regards Dean

Offline WHITMORE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 January 09 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dean

My great great  mother was the Maori lady, Pere Kapu, who married James Saunders.  My great grand mother was James and Pere daughter  - her name was Emma.  Emma married Thomas Heath and my grand mother married George spriggs.  Pere and James also had a son named John.  I to have been to Georgetown and to the family Marae in Waihoa.  Can I ask have are you related to James Saunders.  My e-mail address is (*) if you would like to talk privately.

Cheers Margaret

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Lammerlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
James Saunders Loder was said to have been worth 10,000 pound in gold coin at the time of his death. This money has never been found but is assumed to be buried in North Otago...should I say where?

His daughter told her daughter that and in turn I was informed. It was told to me around thirty years ago and I have no reason to disbelieve the validity of this.

He was said to have come from a 'well connected' Lancashire Cotton mill family though I question this as it has also been said that he signed his name with an X on articles of the vessel 'Mary and Elizabeth' in 1834

This I also question as he was supposed to be about 41 at time of death - that would make him 13 when he signed aboard the 'Mary and Elizabeth' and if he was sent to Botany Bay as the story goes then he must have been younger still when sentenced by the court back in England.

I have no doubt though that the money does exist.

To me the story of his past simply does not add up