Author Topic: james saunders or saunders-loder  (Read 25711 times)

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james saunders or saunders-loder
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Tena koe ano.. Thank you that is very clear.
If you will continue to indulge me please as this is very important to me. Who was Kōrakonui married to ? and are you aware of the Tupuna Te Ihu-puku .. do you know the uri of Korakonui as the land court minutes etc. give a number of Kōrako including the one apparently shot and killed at Otakou by pakeha .. Te Rakipataua is annotated in our family whakapapa as being an uncle to Karetai and Taiaroa and if this is correct then he is my tipuna too just under a different name. Which as a tohuka wouldnt surprise me. If not then I’m back to square one. Panenehu and Te Rakipataua keep coming up in our Whanau Korero so I’m obviously missing something ?
Nga mihi whanauka, thanks again for your knowledge
Okay, Korako was also known as Wakena/Watakini. His two grandchildren, or the ones I know of, are Mata Pii and Hana Kairama. This is the tipuna who signed the 1844 Otago Deed. He had two known wives; Rahonui and Mata Wakena Te Kupukupu. Mata is related to the Te Maire side as she was an older relative of Rawiri Te Maire's wife, Heikura, who are mainly Kati Mamoe.Yes I know of Te Ihupuku who married Kiwi. I can't see how Te Rakipataua would be an "uncle' to Karetai. However, Te Matenga Taiaroa was a grandson of Kohana, the daughter of Hineuru and Tutemakohu ( a Korekore. Not the famous one). This Kohana and Te Rakipataua were first cousins since both stem from Takaoteraki, the grandfather. That maybe the connection, but not with Karetai senior. Te Pananehu is my tipuna. He was the local rangatira at the Waitaki River mouth. His brother is Te Rakipataua. These Kati Huirapa ancestors stem from a whanau that were the chiefs of South Canterbury. Their first cousin Te Matehaere was said by Tame Parata to be the chief of North Otago up to the south side of the Waitaki River. It is also said Te Matehaere fought his way from the Haast Pass all the way up the West Coast. He married two Kati Mamoe/Patea sisters about this time who were relations to Te Kupukupu mentioned earlier. I also believe he married two younger women based at Waikouaiti.His father Tamahika campaigned at Kaka Point in South Otago and  Lake Wakatipu. Tamahika's nephew Tuawhe campaigned also at Wakatipu and Te Anau where he drowned, as told, at the outlet of that lake. These are my Kati Huirapa ancestors.
Alderson Scott -Arkengarthdale, Loveden Boucher & Wakefield -Berkshire, Rawsthorne -Ormskirk, Stanley-Snowshill, Harris-Aston Cantlow, Clemenger-Cavan, Ireland and Liverpool, Metcalf-Kirkby Stephen, Bishop-Trowbridge.

Offline Waitahaariki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 December 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
thats great because the whakapapa i have shows
Te Korako ia moe Te Rahonui
ka puta ko
1. Kurukuru ia Te Wera
2. Takihaka ia Kaahu
secondly i dont have a whakapapa for Te Ihupuku, do you know of one ?. The one i'm looking for is male. Interesting tho how the Korako name is prevalent in this line. The parents of Kiwi, Tunapuhia ia Korako and a Korako each in both of Kiwi's 'marriages'
thanks again

Offline familylinks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 17 February 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my children's family tree. They are descendants of James Loder Saunders & Pere Kapu (through Emma Saunders & Thomas Heath; Thomas & Janet (Heath) Stokes; John & Janet (Stokes) Young; Rewa John & Mere Kihimete (Woon) Young). I would love to fill in the gaps for them and would really like to see any photographs or documents that might be available. Pere & James are their great, great, great, great, great Grandparents. In particular would love more information on Pere Kapu as I haven't been able to find a lot of information until I stumbled upon this link, which is amazing. Thank you :)

Offline margaretspriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 06 October 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi. Just wondering if you have any further info on James Saunders or Pere Kapu. Cheers

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
There's a mention here of "Jimmy the Needle" as a passenger from Tasmania

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD19190502.2.89
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WHITMORE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks for that

Offline Waitahaariki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 17 January 19 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora Loveden
I have a query about the tipuna Motoitoi, daughter of Mahora
I have 3 Motoitoi
1 married to Driver at Purakanui, previously Omaui (where she lived with her brother Hape Tiere)
1 named Irihapeti Motoitoi who I have as an uri of Hoani Kahu; not the same one above as is claimed online ? and Motoitoi Dallas, who is different again.
as always any help gratefully received
Nga mihi

Offline Casillac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 21 March 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
     (Kati Mamoe) Hinetauhara = Maika (Kati Mamoe and Ngati Kahungunu)
                                            |
(Kati Mamoe) Rakanuku = Tutekawa
                              |
                    Te Atawhiua = Tupuku
                                       |   
                                    Koa = Kiritekateka (her tribe/iwi was Waitaha)
                                            |
                            Te Maiwerohia =Tamakitahaka                     Te Korerehu = Te Rakiamoa           
                                                           |___                   _____________________|
                                                                  |                  |                                    |
                                                              Kiraho = Hokotuna                       Tanemahuta = Moko
                                                                          |                  ______________________|
                                                                          |                  |
                                                                Pukukea = Tawhirimatea
                                       ____________________|___________________________
                                       |                                                     |                             |
                                Mahaki =Titope                            Tahapa= Poihaka             Poutoa = Titope
                      ___________|____________                             |                                    |
                      |                                         |                     Rauahiahi = Kawa              Pakote
             # Romia            Harper 2nd = Pakinui = 1st Marten
                                       ________|______________
                                       |                                       |
                                   Tame                                  Teo =Peti Wixon

Tēnā koe Lovden!

Your whakapapa knowledge is incredible.  Thankyou for what you have shared here.  I would like to ask for your help.  I have just started on my whakapapa journey and to start I am looking for information on Willam Harpur and Mere Titope Pakinui who I see you know about well.  Specifically their daughter Jane Harpur (b:1862) and her 1st husband Arthur Gibbs (b. 1851, Derbyshire, England).  They were married c. 1877. and together they had a son Named Arthur Albert Gibbs (b. 1878).  They had four more boys before each remarrying - Jane to Alexander McIntosh c. 1866 and Arthur to Elizabeth Pascoe c. 1898.

My question is do you have any specific information regarding This branch?

William = Pakinui
   |_______|
          |
      Jane Harpur = Albert Gibbs
               |___________|
                          |
             Arthur Albert Gibbs

Unfortunately I am unable to ask my whanau about this whakapapa as they are no longer with us.

I really appreciate your time and any information is accepted and treasured with aroha.

Nga mihi

Offline Casillac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 23 March 19 04:42 GMT (UK) »