Author Topic: james saunders or saunders-loder  (Read 25710 times)

Offline Lammerlaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james saunders or saunders-loder
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
I did not know of Hemi Paikis Diary at the Hocken Library - thats a new one to me - he is my Grandmothers father. The Heaths are not descended form him though as they are descended from Joe Heath Snr
Emma Was married three times - Joe Heath - Hemi Paiki - Thomas Turner.
Rose Paiki married Tumaru   Hana Married Te Whao and  Minnie married William Thomas

I pass the Hocken Library now and again so might do a bit more delving myself if I can muster the enthusiasm. I gave up being interested in Whakapapa years ago.

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
I did not know of Hemi Paikis Diary at the Hocken Library - thats a new one to me - he is my Grandmothers father. The Heaths are not descended form him though as they are descended from Joe Heath Snr
Emma Was married three times - Joe Heath - Hemi Paiki - Thomas Turner.
Rose Paiki married Tumaru   Hana Married Te Whao and  Minnie married William Thomas

I pass the Hocken Library now and again so might do a bit more delving myself if I can muster the enthusiasm. I gave up being interested in Whakapapa years ago.

I hope you are inspired now.the reference number for Paiki's book is MS-0175.The book is mainly full of waiata.Interesting part of Hemi's book is that he wrote out a whakapapa that leads onto Whakahopu and the Haerenoa-Arnett crowd.I am sure Kawewhitau was related to these people-she is also known as Matiria Te Kihi.Not sure why Hemi would record this whakapapa in his own notebook.
In one whakpapa I have seen elsewhere ,Peneamine Te Kihi's daughter named Punamaru had issue to a Paiki.Do you think Paiki had issue to Punamaru and her niece Emma?Hemi Paiki might have had a brother named Hotene Hape.

Alderson Scott -Arkengarthdale, Loveden Boucher & Wakefield -Berkshire, Rawsthorne -Ormskirk, Stanley-Snowshill, Harris-Aston Cantlow, Clemenger-Cavan, Ireland and Liverpool, Metcalf-Kirkby Stephen, Bishop-Trowbridge.

Offline Lammerlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
I think I have the answer to the Hemi Paiki question and will do a double check but not right now - this is getting too complicated but I am happy to help you out with all information I have but it might be best to contact me personally...does this site allow it?

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 May 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
I think I have the answer to the Hemi Paiki question and will do a double check but not right now - this is getting too complicated but I am happy to help you out with all information I have but it might be best to contact me personally...does this site allow it?

I have sent you a message.
According to what I have found, Hemi Paiki's mother was Erihapeti/Elizabeth, the daughter of Matiu and Ripeka Mate.This will make Paiki a nephew of Hoani Matiu.Is this correct?
Alderson Scott -Arkengarthdale, Loveden Boucher & Wakefield -Berkshire, Rawsthorne -Ormskirk, Stanley-Snowshill, Harris-Aston Cantlow, Clemenger-Cavan, Ireland and Liverpool, Metcalf-Kirkby Stephen, Bishop-Trowbridge.

Offline Lammerlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 May 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
I had never looked at it that way - I guess I simply never thought of that! -  I had merely looked at it from the perspective that Irihapeti was sister of Hoanu Matui - yes.

Also I tend to get mxed up because Irihapetis mother has been listed as Ripeka Korako and as Ripeka Mate...I need to do a lot of checking and will ave the answers here (I think) but simply havent got the time atm

Hemi Paiki was described as having been descended form 'The Aristocratic lines of Waitaha.'

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 May 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
I think the 'Korako' you are looking for was a female named Ripeka Korako,a daughter of Te Rakipataua.Te Rakipataua is a brother of Te Pananehu, whom I mentioned above, and a sister named Manawa.They are the children of Kuratakiao and Kiteraki.These people held mana-whenua over parts of the Waitaki River including Tame Parata's tipuna Te Matehaere.Te Maiharoa is a great-grandson of Te Pananehu. Manawa is the grandmother of Hoani 'Bloody Jack' Tuhawaiki.Horomona Pohio is a grandson of Te Rakipataua.
Now,Ripeka Korako (f) and Ratanuku had Kaikoareare alias Big fellow or Whaikai, and Ripeka Mate.However, Ripeka Korako(f) had a brother also named Korako (Korakonui), who is believed to be the very old tohuka-chief James Watkin meet in 1840 at Waikouaiti.A whakapapa, which seems reliable, states there were two Korako siblings , a wahine and a tane.
The other Korako associated with 'Murdering Beach' is believed to be the father of Matenga Taiaroa.
Hoani Matiu's faher, Matiu , had two wives;one Amelia Poutini and her sister named Mere Koiti, became the second wife.Amelia is the mother of Hoani.It pays to double check this information.

Offline Lammerlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 May 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that - I have copies of papers relating to JSL and so on and you are welcome to peruse them but I dont wish to write on this site as it is too time consuming for me - I am as happy as a sand boy to help you out with whatever you wish and certainly more than appreciate the information you have given me, especially the last two contributions.

I have sent you my email address and you can make contact on it if you wish to go further otherwise my sister might like to follow up by taking my place on here

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 May 12 02:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that - I have copies of papers relating to JSL and so on and you are welcome to peruse them but I dont wish to write on this site as it is too time consuming for me - I am as happy as a sand boy to help you out with whatever you wish and certainly more than appreciate the information you have given me, especially the last two contributions.

I have sent you my email address and you can make contact on it if you wish to go further otherwise my sister might like to follow up by taking my place on here

cheers Lammerlaw.I sent you another message here on RootsChat.com

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
Matiu Kapene coupled with a woman named Mere Koeti, a sister of America/Amelia Matiu, who are the daughters of Hoani Tamahika and Puketai, and had a child named ‘Rawea Hape’, who may or may not be the same person as Irahepeti who married Hemi Hape.I suppose this needs a closer look...