Author Topic: GERMANY: DEGENHARDT from Clausthal, Hanover  (Read 33717 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: DEGENHARDT from Clausthal, Hanover
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Reply #2 had this link to German Archives and has records of emigrants from Hanover who emigrated in the 1840s. This website has been upgraded since I first saw it and now very difficult to view.
http://aidaonline.niedersachsen.de/

The .pdf attachment has the DEGENHARDT family highlighted, and shows
(1) the names of the four brothers (brüders)
(2) years of birth
(3) occupations
(4) parents
(7) destination

I have cross referenced them from SA records:-
1.   (Johann Carl) August;  J. Augustus born 9 Aug 1818 Clausthal, Hanover, died Feb 1870 Norwood SA
2.   Friedrich; (Johann Heinrich) aged 33 when married 1855 - German archives says born 1821
3.   (Georg) Carl (Christian); aged 25 when married in 1853 - German archives says born 1826
4.   Gustav (Julius Wilhelm); age 22 when married in 1849 - German archives says born 1828

Transcribed passenger lists that are online have mistakes. Johann Carl Ludwig aka Louis did not emigrate on the Patel in 1846.

Essie

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Essie

Just checking I think the Hamster's nee Kotte/Cotte girls are sisters not mother and daughter  just wondered what you thought!  The ships list for the George Wahington just has single women and the PDF attachment from JustinL reply 2 just shows them with the family....

I think its going to need to find Louis and Caroline's wedding in Germany to substantiate anything given that what I believe is her sister Elizabeth Stoeckel's  obit which states she came with her married sister....

Kris also posted all the BISA bit n pieces on her earlier reply 27 so I am doubling up there....

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/  the website has a Germanic & Continental European Group group discussion coming up Julie  I don't know if that would be of value for you...

Hope I am not repeating what has already been posted on this family!

Cheran ??? ???

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheran

I think some folks were single when they applied to emigrate but by the time their ship actually sailed it could have been two or three months later so decided to marry in the meantime. 

Caroline [Lina] DEGENHARDT died 6 Feb 1860 aged 35y so born c1825/26
and
Elizabeth (Bette) STOECKEL died 2 Apr 1907 aged 80 so born c1827
Definitely not mother and daughter!

Essie

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 03:35 BST (UK) »
The BISA index is Biographical Index of South Australia and was compiled in 1987 lots of libraries have copies the information was given by descendants as i understand it so lots different bits of information.

This is not quite correct. :)

The information in BISA published in 1986 was gleaned from research by the South Australian and Heraldry Society in archives, public records, private papers and letters of administrations as well as contributions from individuals.  The South Australians 1836-1885 was published in 1990 to complement BISA and contains an additional 7,500 biographical works.  Neither of the publications are 100% accurate as information from paper based and often hand written records may have been mistranscribed or in the case of many shipping records where the inforamtion was given verbally, incorrect spelling of names and ages.

Has anyone bothered to contact the Lutheran Archives?
http://www.lca.org.au/departments/support-services/lutheran-archives/

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 06:36 BST (UK) »
The BISA index is Biographical Index of South Australia and was compiled in 1987 lots of libraries have copies the information was given by descendants as i understand it so lots different bits of information.

This is not quite correct. :)

The information in BISA published in 1986 was gleaned from research by the South Australian and Heraldry Society in archives, public records, private papers and letters of administrations as well as contributions from individuals.  The South Australians 1836-1885 was published in 1990 to complement BISA and contains an additional 7,500 biographical works.  Neither of the publications are 100% accurate as information from paper based and often hand written records may have been mistranscribed or in the case of many shipping records where the inforamtion was given verbally, incorrect spelling of names and ages.

Has anyone bothered to contact the Lutheran Archives?
http://www.lca.org.au/departments/support-services/lutheran-archives/

Cheers
Cando

Thanks for that....  it is a great source of info for most of my research

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone will work how hamster becomes Cotte or Kotte...
Not an answer to this, but on another topic, where anglicisation of german names was being discussed, the name DEGENHARDT cropped up:

Hi All,

I have a thread on the Immigrants boards, where i put down some ideas about name changes
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg39502.html#msg39502

But in  general there are no "hard and fast" rules.

Coincidently, I just read a family history book, where they cited the case of the family of Christoph Degenhardt, who came to Britain in 1859. At the turn of the century, the two sons decided that german-sounding names  were not good, so they change theirs:
Walter Degenhardt became Walter Hart and Frederick Charles Degenhart became Frederick Charles !

On the above thread is also a link to this story:

".. Abraham ben Isaiah, otherwise known as Moses Abraham Groomsfelt, or Jones,
a silversmith .."

So be prepared for a few "stretches of the imagination" :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 27 July 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
Julie

An interesting read and the picture of some of the graves of the Stoekel family:

http://www.southaustralianhistory.com.au/murthoo.htm

Cheran

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Cheran, it was interesting.
Degenhardt Jarrett Hoare Kemp Coleman West