Author Topic: SIT: Not enough users?  (Read 45316 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough users?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 August 08 06:51 BST (UK) »

Perhaps a locked thread at the top of the Common room.

Margaret

Good suggestion Margaret - that's kinda what I was leaning towards but hadn't thought it through yet.  Would that attract any more interest than the child boards though?  :-\
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 August 08 07:03 BST (UK) »
Some good points in there too Ruskie. 

It is really daunting if you are looking up a common name, Smith, Jones, McSporran etc but the facility is there to narrow down your area of interest.

I'm working through mine at the moment to qualify the district and era I'm looking in.  Whereas previously I had ,e.g., Forrest, Scotland,  I now have Forrest, Stirlingshire and the era.

I'm working through them being more specific.

Hard work for the developers of the site but the idea of folk adding interests as they join is great.

I really did think I'd get adverse comments to my first post.  It seems I'm not alone in my thoughts. 

Keep the comments coming. 

Dave   
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 August 08 07:14 BST (UK) »

There also seem to be a lot of people who join rootschat, add their surnames, and not return. I imagine that many of the contact details would no longer be valid. (One day I had a look at the birthday list and several of the people hadn't been on rootschat for years)  :-\

Yet another good point.  That is something that was mentioned in a post within the last week.
I wonder whether some think that if they add their name in SIT that they will be notified everytime someone adds a post?  You know, like that other site I wont mention. >:(

As usual, I find a point, in my occasional posts, to compliment RC on the format, the members and the organisers and Mods.  Well done.

JUST GET THE SIT ADVERTISED ("advertized" for you USAicans)

Dave ;D

-------------------

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 August 08 10:24 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to see stats on  the 70K total users broken down by various categories.  Such as, how many use RC a few times and don't come back; how many use at least once a week on average; once a month; several times a week, etc.  I suspect there is a small core of regular users that make up much of the 10K in SIT.

Here is my story, and then to bed...

I joined a year ago.  Use regularly, but when I first joined I put a half a dozen names in my profile and those same names in SIT (mostly just the Scots and Englanders).  Then I was eager to start finding stuff.

One week ago I had some extra time and made the effort to stuff new surnames I had found, and all my long-time American names in.  It can be a daunting task for someone who has 2-300 years worth of ancestors and only searches for them when work, family, general living, and other trivialities  ;D get in the way - obviously not my problem, or I wouldn't be pounding on the keyboard at 2:30 am.

Nick

McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 August 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to see the stats too Nick.

We can come up will many good ideas, but the rootschat volunteers can't really be expected to implement the changes. They already go above and beyond the call of duty ...

It's just a bit of a shame that the SIT is 'sitting' there not being used as much as it should be.

Dave, I try to add specific dates, places and names to my SIT entries too. I think it's worth the extra effort.  ;).

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 10:52 BST (UK) »
WOW
I DO LEARN  NEW THINGS EVERY DAY
OOPS STRIKES AGAIN

SYLVIA

I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Norm Weston

• RootsChat Member
  • Norman Weston Killed in Action 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 13:00 BST (UK) »
OK I have just found out about this facility but after succesfully adding my prime surname, I get an error each time I try to add a subsequent surname. Am I doing something wrong?
The error I get is:-
Either the Member_name or Member_ID is wrong !!
Attwood Bettles Birchall Coles Culshaw Doherty Donnelly Downs Freeman Greaves Misledine Ormandy Robinson Rutherford  Thorlby Tilley   Weston

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 September 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
The SIT is  a great idea.  I've posted mine and have tried contacting others but very few responses to enquiries.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 September 08 09:48 BST (UK) »
I've only contacted a couple hiraeth but have had successful responses.  I think I have been contacted by others a few times too.

Every time I see a thread about it, I am reminded to go and add the latest surnames to it.  ::) ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....