Author Topic: Abram/Lawson  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abram/Lawson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
If    Catherine   was  baptised  at   birth   this  would   make   her   under  21   &  needing  parental
permission  to   marry.   St   Paul's   chapel /  Maughold   Parish /  Marriage   Register  no.  98   /  Dec.   15  1863  /  Johnston   Abraham /  28 /   Bachelor /  Rivetter/  Father  - Francis   Abraham   /  Gardener/   Residence   -Parliament  Street   ,Ramsey///    Catherine   Gale /  22/  Spinster /   Father   -James   Gale/
Joiner/  Residence--  College   Street  ,  Ramsey.  This  marriage  was  solemnized  between  us    Johnston
Abraham  /  Catherine  Gaile   In  presence  of   Wright  Jones/  Thos.  Killip  .  By   Licence Wm.  ?  Kermode  /
Chaplain
NB  Marriage  by  licence  was the norm  here.  Gale  is  the  usual  spelling  of  that  surname. //  The  church
was  on  the harbour &  College Streeet   round  the  corner  running  parallel to  the  promenade/coast.  Parliament  Street  was  &  is  the town's  main  shopping  street &    is  within  sight  of  the  church.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 19:09 BST (UK) »
The   1851   head  of   household   is   Margaret   SKINNER.  The    family   were   living   in    College   Street.

Please  note   well   there   were    a  lot   of   Jane   Lawsons  around.   Lawson   is   the  surname  of   the
Manx  researcher  &  compiler  of   the  Births /   Marriages  &  Burials   indexes.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
RE  Patrick  parish  baptism.   Patrick  is   on   west   coast   south  of   Peel.

2nd   NOV.  1845     

"  Catharine  [  illegit .]  Dr.   of    John   Gill  &  Jane   Lawson     at   Cains   Balaspit."

Ballaspet   Farm  is   still  about   one   mile  east  of  Patrick   Church   along  the   main  road.  It   was   the
local  custom  for  such   children  to   use  their  natural  father's  name. NB     GILL   is   another  distinctive
Manx  surname  not  to  be  confused  with   Gale.        Voirrey

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:12 BST (UK) »
John   Gill    seems   to  be   an   uncommon  name  in  Patrick  parish.  In  the  census   I   can   find   only

John  Gill    /  married   Publican   mid   thirties   as   probable /  possible   father   of    Catherine   as   entered

in  Baptism  record   by   Vicar  or   teenage   son   --  much   too  young.???

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the information, I am going to the Genealogy in Glasgow tomorrow, so hopefull I will get Catherines death, and it will give both parents names, I will let you know , what I find out

Thanks again

Mary

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 September 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I found the death of Mary Abram, who's parents were Johnston Abram, and Catherine Lawson, I thought Catherine had come to Glasgow, but it looks like she may have died in Sunderland Co Durham, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me

mary