Author Topic: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry  (Read 47396 times)

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denny,

It looks like we are related (cousins maybe/ half cousins?). The long list of aunties and uncles (Willie, Kitty, Kathleen etc) are the ones my dad remembers. Do you still live in the area? I have never been over to ireland and my dad hasn't been over for a long time (maybe 30 years). Willie or "bill" died I think in the mid-late 1980s and dad's mum died when I was a lot younger, maybe 5 or 6. (i'm 36 by the way!). I have never met any of my dad's family except for Bill. Do you know anything about uncle Dennis (your namesake)? Dad said something about him being involved in the Easter rising. Do you know what happened to the rest of the aunts and uncles? Do you know any of them and their relatives. Is it true that some of them became priests?

Good to hear from you - thanks for the information!
Vicky

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Denny- Bill was a gunner in the war!!
 Cheers,   Vicky

Offline dennyelliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky!  Well where to start!  Dennis died way back about 1980 I think and yes he fought in the Easter Rising at Bolams Mill which was one of the strategic points that the rebels held along with the GPO.  Devalera was the commanding officer at Bolams Mill (Dublin) and he actually escaped for a short time by jumping into the Liffey and swimming to the other side!  Dennis has a daughter Mary.......  She is very interested in tracking down family members and would love to meet you I'm sure.  William, whom I am also called after (Dennis William) was a priest and I have found his grave but dont know a lot about him beyoyd that!  .... (Patsys Daughter) has a picture of everyone of them so you will have to meet with us and have a look through the albums.  There almost all dead now, the old aunts and uncles and only one remains - ..... and yes we know the different family members.  I now live in Belfast and Pat lives in London but we keep in close contact - we were in Budapest last week for my 49th Birthday with Pats brother Des!  Why dont you come visit and stay in Derry and Belfast for a while as I know lots of your family here want to meet you?  .....

Moderator's Note: details of living people and personal details removed to protect their privacy.
Please use PM (personal message) system to exchange email address, details of living relatives, etc.

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denny- happy birthday for last week and thanks for the kind invites to meet you and everyone over in ireland. I'd love to come over and meet you in the future- I've got very young children who I'd like to bring over when they're bigger- Sam is 2 and  James is  4. Did you know what happened to dennis straight after the Rising? I don't know much about the history but I know that the ring leaders were executed (i think). I wonder if dennis was arrested or something. Did you mean it was him who jumped in t he river and swam to safety or Develera? Dad mentioned that one of the other brothers was a senior member of the RUC. Are you aware of this? Are there still elliotts livinig in Fountain Hill now? Has the old Smithy become a trendy wine bar or something?  Are there lots of Elliotts living in London? 

Thanks for the info and best wishes!!

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 March 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickey

Iam Gabrielle Carton nee Quigley my Mum is Aggie Elliott the youngest sister of your grandfather Willie as she called him. She is the only member of the family still living. I met your grandfather several times on his visits to Ireland in the late seventies early eighties. With auntie Nora I collected your grandfather from the airport on his first visit home for many years in the 70's. Just before his death I went to Kent with my mum and cousin Mauve to visit him in hospital. I was talking to Denny and he told me about you. I met one of his son's while over there could that be your dad? Yes Denis was involved in the Easter Rising and his daughter Mary was involved in Northern Ireland politics until recently.
Gabrielle

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 March 09 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Gabriella! Its wonderful to hear from you. Yes- it's possible that the son you met was my dad- michael.  I'm really interested in Mary's political work- I teach law and politics to A level- actually my school does a trip over to dublin ever year to look as they study the rising. I am pleased to hear that Auntie Aggie is still with you and hope that she is in good health (am i right in thinking she must be in her late 80s?) Do you still live in the same area or have you moved on?

Kind regards, vicky

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 March 09 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickey

Yea I still live in Derry though on the the cityside married a Cregganite what can I say.  Mum still lives in the same area and will be 88 in April. She lives independently and has an active social life. I will talk to her when she visits at the weekend and tell her about our contact. Any information I can get from her I'll pass on. Good to hear from you regards to you and your family, talk soon

Gabrielle

Offline dennyelliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 March 09 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Devalera swam the Liffey and not Dennis!!! Don't know who the senior RUC officer was but it might have been a relative of your fathers called Danny McDaid...think he was a District Commander who's claim to fame was that he once arrested Ian Paisley! No Elliotts living in Fountain Hill anymore as it is now a bar called the Ritz which is a million miles away from being a trendy wine bar believe me!!!  Glad to see Gabrielle has got in touch with you as she can talk to her mum and get you some more details.  I am also going to contact Mary Nellis the daughter of Dennis who will be able to give you all the background stuff you want on her father and maybe a wee bit more!

Talk soon

Denny

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 March 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Vicky, Denny sent me a message that he had been in contact with you. I'm Mary, the eldest daughter of Denis. My Father died in 1977. I have nine children, twenty grandchildren and two great grandchildren. I retired for the Assembly in 2004. I was elected for a second term. I also served two terms as a City Councillor. I should  tell you I am a member of Sinn Fein and the current Hon President of our party in Derry. I am so glad to be in touch with Willies family. I met your grandfather when he was here in the eighties. He and my Father were so alike they could have been twins.
                                                                                          regards Mary Elliott Nelis