Author Topic: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry  (Read 47452 times)

Offline fuiseog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks tomby,

There is a lot of new information for me there, like the birthdates of my aunts, the name of my ggf, and the connection to the Rev William. I have vague recollections of some of this information from my father and it's good to get more of the picture clear.  I'm going to liaise with my first cousin who has done some work, and hopefully between us we can fill in some further gaps.

I would be interested to hear what our connections are to all these other Derry Elliotts, if anyone can comment.

Much appreciated,

fuiseog
elliott - derry
griffith - derry
maher - Tipperary
carroll - dublin
scanlan - tipperary
mcdonnell - tipperary

Offline tomby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
hi fuiseog,

some more data,

1901 census 4 friels terrace
James Elliott, 40 --fireman
Mary Anne Elliott, wife 33 - housekeeper
Josephine Elliott, daughter, 9 -scholar
Ellen Elliott, daughter,7 - scholar
Rebecca Elliott daughter, 6 - scholar
William Elliott son, 4 - scholar
Daniel Elliott son, 2
Annie Elliott daughter,3mnts
Ellen Griffith mother in law 60- factory girl
Ellen Mullen, boarder 24 -factory girl

all above give City of Derry as place of birth

Obituary James Elliott Derry Journal Nov.25th 1910

Yesterday, notwithstanding the severity of the weather, a considerable concourse of citizens attended the
funeral of James Elliott and accompanied the remains to the City Cemetery. Deceased was of an old Derry stock and a member of a respected family long associated with skilled labour.  He was a cousin of the late greatly esteemed Temperance reformer, Father William Elliott, and was himself held in good repute during his industrious and unobtrusive life.  Much sympathy is felt for his wife and family.

I did a search for a birth record for James Elliot whose father was William some time back.  His age at death  1910  was given as 43, which meant he would have been born circa 1867.    No records found between 1860 - 1875
Only record was a Baptism record 27th dec. 1959
James Elliott - Parents William Elliott and Rebecca Kelly.
Other children born to William and Rebecca - Jane, John and Thomas

One more record found but not sure if it is connected marriage - Josephine Elliott to John Kimm 10 Aug 1915

Tomby

Elliott Co.Derry, Ward Co.Derry, Quin Co.Down, Shanagher Co Roscommon,
Toner Co Donegal,

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 08 August 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
Dear all of the  Elliotts of Fountain Hill, (Mary, Dennis and all the others who have written on here in relation to my original posting)

It has been a while since I have been in touch with you all and I hope that you are all well. In particular I hope that Aggie is in good health and would love to get back in touch.

Kind regards, Vicky Elliott

Offline cart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 04:11 BST (UK) »
Dear all of the  Elliotts of Fountain Hill, (Mary, Dennis and all the others who have written on here in relation to my original posting)

It has been a while since I have been in touch with you all and I hope that you are all well. In particular I hope that Aggie is in good health and would love to get back in touch.

Kind regards, Vicky Elliott

Hello I'm Gabrielle's daughter Naomi just happen to be looking up my family tree a bit on my mums side an came across this thread. Its with regret that I tell u Vicky that Aggie passed away April 2010 not long after her 89th birthday. Her illness was sudden an a tough 3 weeks on us all. I don't know if u will get this message or not or I may already know but I thought I would tell u.

Kind regards
Naomi

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Naomi-

thanks for your message. I am so sorry to hear about Aunt Aggie- I never had the opportunity to meet her, but I know that both my dad (Mike) and grandad (Bill- Aggie's brother)  thought a great deal of her. I also have some sad news - my father passed away in 2010, at the age of 69.  He was suddenly taken ill in October 09, and despite a brave fight and long stay in intensive care, passed away on the 14th Jan.   He was pleased that I had got in touch with some of his family over in Derry and I would really like to come over to the city some time in the future, to see dad's old haunts.

Please pass on my regards to everyone.

Best wishes, Vicky Elliott

Offline colmmacNYC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky and Noami. This is Colm again, Mary Elliot Nelis' grandson. I hope you are all keeping well. I know this is really late but am so sorry to hear about your dad, Vicky, and about Aunt Aggie, of course. Unfortunately, Sister Ursula McHugh, who my grandma mentioned to you before, passed away in December 2010. I have since made it a personal task to build up a complete family tree from her research. It now includes nearly 650 people and goes back to the 4th century CE, through the Elliotts and the McLaughlins, namely Edward Elliott and his wife, Mary Agnes (Molly) McLaughlin. I am reviewing all the previous messages here to try to make sense of it and see where everyone fits in. I would love to get in touch with you and anyone else in the Elliot family so that we can exchange info and keep everyone in touch. I am on Facebook and if you guys could PM me, I can send you links and any documents I may have. Grandma is doing well. I hope everyone here is well too. Look forward to hearing from you.

Colm

Offline oakbridge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 20 November 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Two graves beside each other in Ardmore cemetery

1 HUGH ELLIOTT d1970 a85(?)
   MARYANN(WIFE) d1966 a79
   RITA. d1954 a27
   RORY d1999 a78
   JOE.   d2001 a71
   ANNA d2007 a87

If I'm right, this is the family you are looking for and I don't think the children here married

2 The second grave is Hugh and MaryAnn's son James and family

JAMES ELLIOTT d1979 a85

JIMMY d1973 a29 (SON)

Jimmy was my best man and we were great friends.He was killed in a road accident.
  Hope this is a help

Offline Harkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 05 July 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Ann(e) Elliott she married John Magill. My research has them coming from The Fountain/Wapping Lane but given the Elliott’s of Fountain Hill being discussed here could this be an error in my research.  Do any of the Elliott’s know about the Magill (McGill) connection. 

Offline Mand1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 08 December 22 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I'm very new to this site .
I am reading your information on the Elliott family. I've been doing my Elliott family tree for years now and hit a brick wall. I had been looking for a marriage for my great great grandfather John William Elliott born around 1856. Through a wrongly transcribed baptism record of one of their children I should of been looking in Derry for his marriage. They married on 1879 church of Ireland Derry, parish of Templemore. He married Frances(known as Fannie) Wilson. There address was Roseville street. John's father was also John.
On speaking to a family member who had a little info(there is no one alive to ask now) he mentioned his mother said the Elliott's were from Eglinton. I have no info on siblings for John just that they didn't stay in Derry, they moved to Chorley, England then stayed on Salford. John was a coachman.
I was wondering if you knew anymore on Eglinton Elliott's or recognised any of the above named from ancestry or anything.
Any information or advice would be very much Appreciated.
Thank you