Author Topic: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry  (Read 47392 times)

Offline bigfellow98

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky,
Just looked up Derry Almanac for 1953.
Gives a Mrs Margaret Elliot at 27 Fountain Hill. Also in trade directory section gives  Laurence Elliot Horse Shoer Fountain hill.
There is also a Hugh Elliot horse shoer living at 56 Duke St.  Which is adjacent to Fountain Hill.  I have a vague memory they were related.
BF

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks bigfellow. Do you and your family remember the elliott's well? My dad does not remember many of the names of the family back in derry. he only visited a few times but does not recollect a Hugh. Do you remember William or John? William ( my dad's dad) moved to kent in the 1930s and visited with my dad, Michael in the 1950s.
thanks for all your help!

Offline oisinh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Elliott was the husband of my great-great aunt, Mary Anne Doran.
Hugh was born in 1885 and died on 3rd June 1970. MaryAnn (1887-1966)
They had 13 children who are all now dead but I know that there are relatives still in Derry.
Hugh had a brother named Willie Elliott who was Catholic Priest.

Does this help?
Hassan/Hasson - Derry, Ireland
Fleming - Derry
McCloskey
Gormley
Doherty - Donegal
McLaughlin
Brady
Doran - Derry/Donegal, Ireland
McGowan - Donegal

Offline McGee Nuala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 January 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I have very little information on my Elliott family connection.  My Great Granny's maiden name was Martha Elliott and according to a baptismal certificate she was baptised in the Long Tower Catholic Church at the age of 21 on 31 March 1864, she then married Patrick Doherty and according to the marriage certificate, both their addresses at the time was Bishop Street and her father's name was John Elliott and he was a labourer.  Her mother's name was Jane Beggs and after her father died (no idea when) her mother then married someone by the name Guyler (don't know if this is the correct spelling), apparently he was a caretaker in the Memorial Hall.  It was also reported that the Elliotts were originally from Eglinton direction.  Any one out there connecting to this information?  Nuala

Offline dennyelliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 January 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky

Just came across your name there and think I can tell you anything you need to know as my father Lawrence was reared in the Elliott house on Fountain Hill.  His mother was Eileen Elliott who was born there also.  She went on to marry an Elliott from a little place called Drumahoe so I am as elliott as you can get.  My father was reared in Fountainhill with his maternal grandfather and grandmother after his mummy died in childberth. I remember all my fathers old aunts and uncles - there was Dennis (Im called after), patsy, John, Willie, Aggie, Mamie, Goretta, Bridie, Francis, Kathleen and Kitty.   I have the family Tree and associated history going back about 2 hundred years if youd like a copy!  Whats your connection?  You related in some way then.  Let me know if i can help!  you can also get me at -  (*) or (*).

Regards

Denny Elliott

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dennyelliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 January 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky

Just came across your name there and think I can tell you anything you need to know as my father Lawrence was reared in the Elliott house on Fountain Hill.  His mother was Eileen Elliott who was born there also.  She went on to marry an Elliott from a little place called Drumahoe so I am as elliott as you can get.  My father was reared in Fountainhill with his maternal grandfather and grandmother after his mummy died in childberth. I remember all my fathers old aunts and uncles - there was Dennis (Im called after), patsy, John, Willie, Aggie, Mamie, Goretta, Bridie, Francis, Kathleen and Kitty.   I have the family Tree and associated history going back about 2 hundred years if youd like a copy!  Whats your connection?  You related in some way then.  Let me know if i can help!  you can also get me at -  (*) or (*).

Regards

Denny Elliott

Hi Vicky

I just realised that I have met your Grandfather William or Willie as I remember! He came back home for a while back in the late 80s i think it was.  Remember having a few beers with him and chatting about the war...he was a gunner on a bomber if im not mistaken..at least thats what he told me!

Denny

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline McGee Nuala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 January 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
 Dear Denny, My Great Grandmother was Martha Elliott born 1842 and at the time of her marriage to Patrick Doherty, their addresses were given as Bishop Street, her parents were John and Jane (nee Beggs) Elliott and her father's occupation on her marriage certificate was given as labourer.  According to my mother, Jane Elliott married twice and the second time was to a guy by the name of Guiler.  Do any of these names mean anthing to  you.  The only information we have on where the Elliotts came from was Eglinton/Drumahoe direction, so we don't have a lot to go on.
Nuala McGee

Offline dennyelliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 January 09 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nuala

My Family Tree information is with my cousin Des so I will get it back from him and look back as far as I can.  My paternal grandfather was Joe Elliott from Drumahoe so he is probably connected to you in some way.  He married my grandmother Eileen (Nee Elliott) who was an Elliott from Fountain Hill in the Waterside.  The Elliott Family tree i have is the Elliotts from Fountain Hill and not Drumahoe so not sure how much information i can get you but leave it with me!  Give me a couple of days and i'll see what i can find.

Offline McGee Nuala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Thanks for replying so quickly, much appreciated.  I realise I have little information on the Elliotts.   Looking forward to hearing from you.  Nuala