Author Topic: Joseph CAMPBELL m. Eliza WILSON, Co. Armagh  (Read 8410 times)

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph CAMPBELL m. Eliza WILSON, Co. Armagh
« on: Friday 29 August 08 04:23 BST (UK) »
I" have the Australian Death Certificate for ELIZA JANE CAMPBELL, nee WILSON, who married  JOSEPH CAMPBELL, in about 1861. They migrated to Australia on the "Golden Empire", arriving in Moreton Bay, Brisbane July 1863..

The Death certificate gives her place of birth and marriage  as what looks like (hard to read) "ARMAGH BRIG ? Co. Armagh, Ireland."
She died in October 1863, shortly after the birth of a daughter, unnamed, on the Death Certificate.  She would have been pregnant when the ship departed Queenstown in April 1863.  Sadly, the voyage plus  the pregnancy whilst travelling must have contributed to her premature death at age 21.

Could anyone tell me just where/what ARMAGH BRIG is - or if I am misreading the handwriting, the likely townland.

Also then having found the correct townland, hopefully, how I can search for the parents, siblings, etc. of the above.

With thanks for all assistance

RobynD
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELL, JOSEPH m. ELIZA WILSON, Co. Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 07:49 BST (UK) »
Can you post that bit of the image here (not the whole certificate) so we can try to read it for you?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 08 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I've never attached anything before - I think I have attached part of the death dertificate of Eliza Jane Campbell, nee Wilson born Co. Armagh. 

If not, can you let me know.  Sorry for my lack of competence in attaching documents.

RobynD

MODERATOR COMMENT: Certificate removed - Only a small portion of a certificate may be posted for identification purposes
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 08 12:36 BST (UK) »
Was able to look at death certificate and it certainly looks like "Armagh Brig" but think it might be the townland of Armaghbrague in Co. Armagh. If so there were 3 Thomas Wilsons listed there in Griffith's Valuation:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 08 15:01 BST (UK) »
marriage. JOSEPH CAMPBELL TO ELIZA JANE WILSON 16-1-1862 @ ARMAGHBREAGUE COFI LISNADILL
ARMAGH.

fathers. THOMAS CAMPBELL & ALEXANDER WILSON.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 August 08 00:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Aghodowey and Maryderry for your assistance and clarification.  I suppose the person registering the death here would have just written something that sounded like the spoken word of Armaghbreague by our Irish ancestors.
It is certainly the correct marriage, as I have both fathers in my records.
Hopefully  with parish and townland information now, I can go back further and find both Joseph and Eliza's siblings, parents' parents, etc.  Any suggestions for tracing back further ?

Many thanks - the work you people do is very much appreciated by those of us half a world away.

Robyn D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph CAMPBELL m. Eliza WILSON, Co. Armagh
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 August 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
Getting back father will be difficult but maybe not impossible.
Civil registration of birth, deaths & Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages). Before that date you need to search for church records (if they exist) and to do so you need to know the family's religion.

In addition to Griffith's Valuation (mid-1800s)- I posted the link earlier- there is this site to find details of townlands and parishes in Ireland: www.thecore.com/seanruad
Then, try searching for the parish in LDS catalogue at www.familysearch.org to see if they've microfilmed any local church records, and if they cover the period you need. If so, you can order them from your local LDS library for a small fee to be viewed there.

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 00:49 BST (UK) »
Would it be possible, Mary, to look up the marriage of Joseph  Campbell's parents -  presumably around the 1810-20 period and if it's in the same church as son Joseph and Eliza Jane Wilson.

I think THOMAS CAMPBELL married a MARY  KILPATRICK, and if son Joseph was married in 1862, then his father Thomas about 1840 ??  And as people didn't move about much then, I'm hoping it would be the same church/townland/parish.

Many thanks in advance
RobynD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
Marriages usually, but not always, took place in the bride's church. Had a look at LDS catalogue to see if they've microfilmed any of the church records but nothing shows up for Lisnadill Parish.