Author Topic: Why were WILSON'S called 'Tug'?  (Read 28202 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Why were WILSON'S called 'Tug'?
« on: Friday 29 August 08 21:50 BST (UK) »

Just wondering...

My late father, Evan Douglas Wilson, (1896-1957) was always known as 'Tug'.

I had assumed that this was a nickname for 'Doug', his given name.

However, a friend has told me that WILSON's are always known as 'Tug' in the Navy. (My father was ex-Merchant Navy & then RNR in WW1).

Where does this nickname originate...and why?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Why were WILSON'S called 'Tug'?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

It's a naval expression

According to this website: http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3838

Derived from the nickname of a former First Sea Lord (1909-11) Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur Kynvet Wilson, also awarded the VC when fighting with the Naval Brigade at the Battle of El Teb in 1884 in the Sudan during the Mahdi rebellion. Admiral Wilson's nickname reputedly comes from an incident when he repeatedly ordered a battleship to try and come alongside and in exasperation offered her Captain a tug to assist.

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:02 BST (UK) »

Many Thanks for the explanation Barbara.

I've always wondered why...as there didn't seem an obvious reason!!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
I like to know the stories behind things too, we often just use expressions without realising how far back the origins sometimes go.

:)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting, Barbara. Thank you  :)

Romilly and I share this ancestral  surname and I'd not heard of that before.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Well I vaguely knew the answer but I admit to having to search for a reasonable way to put it  ;D ;D

Offline PollyAnnasH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. I have recently discovered that my grandmother's father was nicknamed Tug. She was born illegitimate in 1923. All she has of her father is a photo of a serviceman. Due to her family keeping secrets and the truth hidden. That was until we recently discovered endearing correspondence between her mother and birth father, signed Tug. Unbeknown to her  her mother gave her Wilson as a middle name, after her birth father. This has allowed us to make the connection. I'm new to this but how can I find out his Christian name when all I know is he was Tug Wilson and served in Vorie, Germany in 1922 ? I'd love for my mum to discover her ancestry on her Grandfather's side. Thanks in advance.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 September 17 22:20 BST (UK) »

Hi PollyAnnasH, - and welcome to RootsChat!

My first thought is that if you are able to post the photo of the Serviceman on here, - someone will be able to advise you on the uniform; which will make him easier to pin down... I would imagine that he was Navy? (Tug was a Naval nickname for Wilsons).

Romilly.
Researching:

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 September 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Not necessarily navy, it is used for Wilson's in many occupations and situations
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY