Author Topic: question about place names  (Read 983 times)

Offline LaurieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
question about place names
« on: Friday 28 January 05 05:58 GMT (UK) »
William ELLIS, in the 1851 census, is listed with the birthplace of Nottinghamshire; in 1861, his birthplace is Stirley Park, Nottinghamshire; by 1871, his wife Ann is widowed.

Ann, wife to William ELLIS, in the 1851 census is listed with a birthplace of Nottinghamshire; in 1861, birthplace is listed as Bankthorpe, Nottinghamshire; in 1871, birthplace is listed as Backthorpe or Buckthorpe, Nottinghamshire.

Birth dates would be about 1810/1812 for William & 1817/1818 for Ann using ages in above-named census reports.

I have searched but can't find information on Stirley Park or Bank/Back/Buckthorpe.  Any ideas on where I might learn more please?

Thank you!
INDIAN: Counties Durham & Cumberland, England 1700-1900
SIMS, HUMPHREY / HUMPHREYS: Glamorgan, Wales
DICICCO: Sant'Elia Fiumerapido, Italy, 1700-1900

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: question about place names
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 January 05 07:16 GMT (UK) »
This is always my first port of call when i need information on a place in England

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

At  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/parishes.html    there is only one place ending in Thorpe and that is Bilsthorpe.
I didn't find a Buckthorpe etc in Derbyshire or Lincolnshire.
There is a Buckthorpe in Yorkshire.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)
 KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)
 WISEMAN (Cambridge)
 UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)
 FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)
 And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LaurieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 05 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Steve.  I too find the genuki site to be a valuable resource, so not finding these place names there or elsewhere, I was hoping they'd be familiar to someone here.  I appreciate you looking; I'll check out Yorkshire and boundaries and expand the search a bit--hadn't thought to do that.
INDIAN: Counties Durham & Cumberland, England 1700-1900
SIMS, HUMPHREY / HUMPHREYS: Glamorgan, Wales
DICICCO: Sant'Elia Fiumerapido, Italy, 1700-1900

Offline Woodhj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 05 23:01 BST (UK) »
Have you considered Bagthorpe?

Bagthorpe is a village between Selston and Underwood, in Nottinghamshire.

kind regards, Howard