Author Topic: 1739 - Scottish prisoners at Donaghadee  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
1739 - Scottish prisoners at Donaghadee
« on: Saturday 30 August 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
"Ship of the People" is a film which celebrates the liberation of one hundred Scottish slaves who came ashore at Donaghadee almost three hundred years ago. The film is the result of twenty years of work by two researchers, one from Donaghadee and the other from an island from which some of the slaves were kidnapped.

The Scots-Gaelic film "Ship Of the People" tells a story of greed, abduction, conspiracy and human trafficking originating in the highest echelons of 18th century Scottish society. The "SS William", which had a cargo of Gealic speaking men, women and children from the islands of Harris and Skye headed for the cotton plantations in America, was seized in Donaghadee in 1739. They had been snatched from their crofts during the night and herded aboard the "SS William." The islanders were going to be transported to the colonies where they would be sold as indentured labourers.

The ship stopped at Donaghadee to take provisions on board. Whilst that was happening the islanders were imprisoned in a nearby barn. It's still standing at Herdstown House which is about a mile from Donaghadee. According Harry Allen, a local historian, the crew may have felt sorry for them and released them.

The authorities found the islanders wandering around the area. Their case was heard in a local court. The outcome was the disappearance of the ship's Captain, the crew (who had been arrested) were released and the islanders were freed into the countryside. Some headstones in the Donaghadee area bear the surnames of Scottish highlanders. It's not known for certain whether the people interred in those graves are ancestors of the eighteenth century islanders.

The film, which was produced by the Skye television company MacTV for the BBC, is being shown at Donaghadee Library at the end of October.

Offline Shanty

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1739 - Scottish prisoners at Donaghadee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 08 02:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christopher. You are a wealth of information.  I live in Canada so won't be able to catch the movie at the library. LOL    Do you know where I might get my hands on the movie "Ship of the People"?

My ancestors were from Scotland although my direct line takes me back to Ireland.   I've not been very successful researching the Airdrie (Ardrie) line in Ireland with the exception of references to members having been born in Donaghadee and a hint they may have been Ulster Scots.
Airdrie, Ardrie, Walker, Fleming, Walsh

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Shanty,

The information below is on the BBC Press Office site. It might be an idea to contact the BBC asking for more details about this film ... has it been sold to other TV stations or is it available on DVD? I'm certain Americans, Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders (for starters) with ancestors who lived in Ireland and Scotland would be interested in seeing this film. www.bbc.co.uk/info/contactus

Soitheach Nan Daoine (The Ship Of The People) BBC Two Alba

One-off documentary, Soitheach Nan Daoine (The Ship Of The People) explores a different angle on the historical stories of human trafficking.

The illegal shipment of human cargo stolen from the Bays of Harris and Skye are stories that have entered Gaelic folklore – stories in which people were spirited away to the American slave trade in the mid-1700s by evil ships that preyed on the remote coastlines of North West Scotland. Soitheach Nan Daoine questions whether it was fact or mere myth.

The documentary explores one documented case into this fascinating history to discover whether there was truth behind the tales. Soitheach Nan Daoine is a Mac TV production for BBC Scotland. Gaelic with English subtitles.

Christopher

Offline Joe S

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 15 02:03 GMT (UK) »
These were more indentured servants than literally slaves - latter individuals were purely property / chattels, not even legally persons.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
The MacLeod & MacDonald of Sleat sold a shipload of their people into slavery in the West Indies. Is this the ship in question?

Skoosh.

Offline Robpatterson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 23 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I grew up in this house. Am sitting in it right now with family. Would love to see the movie ….