Author Topic: Photos of Old Dalbeth Cemetery  (Read 72096 times)

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Old Dalbeth Cemetery
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi McGhee,
Yes I am originally from Motherwell now live in Bellshill.
The grave at Dalbeth of the soldier is not my relation but Douglas's. Although I will take you idea on board.

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline mcghee67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Its just I recognise your name did you go to Our Ladys High School did you know my cousin Paul Molloy
Molloy, Gallagher, Monaghan, O'Donnell Co Donegal

Provan Collins Govan Glasgow
McGivney, Molloy Craigneuk Wishaw Motherwell

Offline karenkozak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 02:19 GMT (UK) »
I like the photos of the cemetery, now I can at least see what it looks like..apparently my grgrgr grandfather John Begly is buried there?? I always wondered about the cemetery and since I live in Ontairo and the cemetery is in Scotland, it's quite a distance to visit. If anyone every goes there again can someone have a look and see is there is a headstone?? he died around 1855??not sure if there is a stone though??? thanks Kindly Karen

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karan,

I pleased to say that the restoration work at old dalbeth is coming on and the place is looking much better simce this post started.
I have been back recently and photographed all the surviving headstones in Old Dalbeth. Sadly there isnt a great many of them and I've looked through the photos and can't see one with the name Begly on it.

Gerry

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline karenkozak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 December 08 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking, I imagine they couldn't afford a stone anyways..after John died Isabella applied to poorhouse relief apparently. again thanks Karen

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 December 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

If Isabella did apply for poor relief the record of her applicatiion may be in the Mitchel Library Archives. These records can reveal a lot of information as I have found out in my own search.
If you email me the details of John & Isabella (Dates / addresses where born etc) I will look in the Mitchel for you when I'm there next in a few weeks time.

Gerry

1st Royals

Offline karenkozak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I thank you very much, this is what i have..John Begly/Begley spealt various ways born abt 1810 Donegal Ireland s/o James Begley ?? married Isabella McAuthur Dec 8 1836 Neilston Renfew , Isabella was born in Scotland abt 1810?? d/o Alexander McArthur, their children are as follows James , Alexander (2nd great grandfather)John-Alex and John immigrated to Canada they showed up in the 1871 canadian federal census. and Archibald. From what I can find John died in June 1855 and Isabella and Archibald died the same year  1869.Hope this helps, and I thank you for taking your time to look... Karen

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:47 GMT (UK) »
I cant see a death record on SP for John around 1855

Offline Empty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 December 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
I stumbled across this and realised it must be 20 years since I took my late aunt to visit her grandparent's graves at Old Dalbeth. We found the chap in the lodge very helpful as he got the big register out and we found the lair numbers. However, the spot we tried to get at was totally overgrown with bushes(Rhoddies, I think). My aunt remembered going with her mum every Easter to Dalbeth. The children had a picnic while their mum, an artist, repainted the gold lettering. Do you have a photo with their headstone on it? They were Thomas Brown, 1845 to 1893 and Margaret McElwee Brown,1845 to 1896. Fingers crossed.
Moira
Ramage: Wiseman: Taylor: Pierce: McElwee: Brown: Hart