Author Topic: George Manning Rees  (Read 33400 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Manning Rees
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 March 10 08:53 GMT (UK) »
As this is a public forum, and there are a number of people who have shown an interest in George Manning Rees, I would like to add a number of facts, which may assist me in resolving some issues with this family, that being my aim:
* a recently located Will of David Rees of Haverfordwest, innkeeper, and dated 8th. Sept 1979, clearly names his mother as Joan; and was bequeathing his sister-in-law Ann Lee, spinster, and mother-in-law Mary Lee money and silverware. It also names his two sons (to wife Mary Lee m. 5 May 1791 St. Pauls Covent Gardens, Westminster) John Rees and William Rees; and that David Rees has sisters and brothers;
* the next child Sarah Ann Rees (Mrs. Rev. James Hughes Thomas) claims on subsequent Census documents that she was born c1799 Gloster, Gloucester; followed by James Rees (b. 17 Sep 1800 Haverfordwest); Mary Rees (Mrs. George Pocock Jnr.) (b. 2 Sep 1801 Haverfordwest); and George Manning Rees (b. 2 Dec 1802). I have no birth or baptism date for Sarah Ann Rees. Thus, six known children.
* there is no evidence as yet showing a second and third official marriage for David Rees, formerly of the Castle Inn, Haverfordwest; and then in 1837 of  Derby Farm, Trenwydd, Merlin's Hill, Watford lands; and Green Hill properties (the "housemaids" could easily be Ann Lee (I believe illegal at that time to marry your wife's sister) and the widow Ann Green of the neighbouring property - Green Hill, later owned by David Rees at the time of his death in 1837)
* The Last Will of David Rees (1837) clearly named six children who were bequeathed money.
* An annotation was made on 17 June 1842 to Mary Pocock and Sarah Thomas, (above two daughters) but as yet I have not viewed its content, and would dearly like to trace it down.

Keith  Aust
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline AJ1455

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 March 10 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith
Thanks for the update. I stand corrected, David Rees fathered 6 children. From the information that i have gathered I believe that Mary Lee married David at St Pauls Covent Garden in 1791 (why so far from Haverfordwest, i am not sure). Mary gave birth to John c. 1792, William c. 1793, and James c. 1795 - the same year that she died at St Martins Haverfordwest.  Subsequently Sarah (b. 1812), Mary (b. 1814), & George (b. 1815) must have had a different mother. It was not unusual in those times for a man to marry his sister-in-law upon the death of his wife (i will check into the legality of a widower marrying his sister-in-law, as per your comment), and i believe that he later married Ann Lee (although i am yet to find proof of this, it seems to fit the timeframes). As for George's birth mother, the name Green is ringing some bells (more investigation required). I also believe that it was Mary & Sarah who contested George's share of the estate, some of which was also driven by the two marriages with the Pocock twins George & Mary.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 March 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you AJ.

Some of the information that you have mentioned was published in 1991 and is now out of date. If my private email address came through to you, then drop me a line and I will be more than happy to fill you in on the latest developments, and may be you might be able to work with me on finding out more.

You may have to post 5 messages before you are able to use the personal message icon. I am not sure.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline AJ1455

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 March 10 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Osprey. The act makes interseting reading, 95% of which negates my thinking, but stlll leaving the option open under ecclesiastical law. Once again i will need to do deeper research into Sarah, Mary & George's maternal parent.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 March 10 01:30 GMT (UK) »
To interested readers:
My apologies:

a recently located Will of David Rees of Haverfordwest, innkeeper, and dated 8th. Sept 1979

should read dated: 8th. Sept 1797

Thank you Osprey for you reference: re  marrying one's sister-in-law
Thus, it is highly likely that we will not find a marriage of David Rees and Ann Lee. This may account for why three chn were not baptised until 1807 and at St. Mary's Haverfordwest until after she died. It is probably going to be difficult to find a marriage for widow Ann Green of the neighbouring property post 1810. Maybe we should look for when he purchased the Green Hill farm, adjacent to his Derby Farm at Haroldstone, St. Issels.

Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
One more ask, if I may ........

Thank you very much for the birth of George Rees 2/12/1802 and bap 29/1/1807 son of David Rees and Ann. Batch C081081 - St. Mary's Haverfordwest; I believe this record also gives his siblings James and Mary Rees baptised on the same day but not the only other sibling Sarah Ann Rees c1789-90 that we do not have a baptism for.

In later Census data, Sarah (Mrs. Rev. James Hughes Thomas) claims her second name to be Ann and that she was born in Gloster, Gloucestershire. A Will of 1797, indicates that Ann Lee is in the house looking after the first two infant chn of her deceased sister Mary Lee (Mrs. David Rees).

I am still looking for proof that Ann Lee, the sister of Mary Lee is David Rees' wife or just partner and house keeper, and that they didn't marry, because she was his wife's sister.
I am 99.9% sure that she is the mother, as the names of George Manning Rees' chn strongly suggest that Ann Lee was his mother:
James Lee Rees; William Manning Lee Rees; David Lee Rees; Rhys Llewellyn Rees; Thomas Lee Rees; and Anne Lee Rees; among others.

For those interested, I have just located descendants of the son of George Manning Rees - Thomas Henry Rees, living in Port Talbot, Wales, so I hope that these descendants may also have some answers!

Keith Rees Aus

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
Not sure if its been mention there is a baptism of a George Manning Rees at Fishguard in 1848.
I also note the baptism of
Ann Lee Rees at Fishguard in 1863.
David Lee Rees at Fishguard in 1856 and
Thomas Lee Rees at Fishguard in 1856, who just possibly mrd in Swansea area circa 1879.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Orielbenfo

George Manning Rees Junior was baptised 5 Mar 1848, Fishguard but born 28 Sep 1848;
David Lee Rees and his brother Thomas Lee Rees were baptised in 1856 as you confirmed; however, have you discovered another child -
I had their last child Anne Lee Rees b. Dec Q 1862; baptised 15 March, 1862 Fishguard - therefore, I could I have some more details of the Ann Lee Rees baptised in 1863. as the first Ann Lee Rees could have died and they tried again.

Orielbenfo, next time you happen to go to Haverfordwest, (St. Martins)and if it it not too much trouble, could you check to see if what the records say for Mary Rees (nee Lee) who died 1795, St. Martins and who I think is her sister Ann Rees (nee Lee) buried 14 October 1804 St. Martins.

But then, if she was buried at St. Martins, why were 3 of her chn baptised at St. Mary's 29 Jan 1807, or  have the wrong Ann Rees and should be looking for Ann Lee buried in Haverfordwest - not technically David's wife.

I hope I am not annoying you, but the thrill of finding more distant relatives who remained in Wales, like two weeks ago in Port Talbot, is certainly exciting, not only for me, but these Welsh relatives.

Regards

Keith Rees Aus