Author Topic: George Manning Rees  (Read 33385 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Manning Rees
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 November 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Kirk,
I have sent you a message.

I am a descendant from George Manning's oldest brother John.
(*)

Keith Rees
Ballarat
Australia

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
I'm just back from a visit to west Wales and while waiting for a bus in Fishguard, I wandered around the churchyard looking at the stones (as you do  ::) ) and a name leapt out at me - one George Manning Rees. It reads

Sacred to the memory of George Manning Rees of Lower Fishguard Watchmaker who died April 19th 1875 aged 72 years.
Also Margaret Hall Seddon daughter of the above and relict of the late William Seddon of Everton Liverpool who died November 16th 1872 aged 21 years

death reg
Margaret Hall Seddon 21 dec qtr 1872 Haverfordwest vol 11a pg 615
marriage reg dec qtr 1871 West Derby vol 8b pg 610

The stone no longer marks a grave, if it ever did. It's leaning against a fence as are most of the stones in the churchyard. This should be picture 7.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest/sites/inpictures/pages/fishguard.shtml?7
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
Osprey

Well spotted! and thanks for bringing to our attention.

James

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 September 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Osprey. You are certainly very helpful, not just to me but many others. The researcher Georgfriedrick, like you, has just spent some time in Fishguard and he also took some photographs of Fishguard, which he forwarded. JamesBust, I will need to share with you as well.

Osprey, I have posted another message under Martha Rees.

Once again, thank you for thinking of us as you walked through St. Mary's. It must be time for me to return to your beautiful country. This time, I will be armed with a far greater depth of knowledge.

Keith Rees Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 September 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
only wish I could find my own lot so easily. Perhaps the secret is not to be looking, just strolling in the sun.

;D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline hhughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 October 09 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm a Lower Fishguard girl by birth & still live close by. It was great to see that you have 'George Manning Rees of Lower Fishguard Watchmaker' as your ancestor.  I'm doing a bit of research for data & old photos of the village & would love to swap any information that you may be interested in ??

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you HHughes for your comment and interest.

I am only too happy to forward some information on George Manning Rees, for your project on locals of Fishguard.
You may come across more information on GM, which may in turn be of assistance to us.

Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
To Osprey

I was just re-reading your notes, and I now realize the relevance of your find of George Manning Rees, born to William and Mary bp St. Martins 27/7/1828.

I had previously had only Manning c1829 as the second child to Lt. William Lee Rees and Mary Pocock, as that was the name only supplied to me, and Lt. William was back in uniform 21 June 1828 aboard HM Victory based at Portsmouth.

One present Haverfordwest site acknowledges his older brother William Gilbert Rees for his pioneering work in New Zealand.

Keith

Offline AJ1455

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 March 10 05:47 GMT (UK) »
I believe that George was the youngest of 5 to David Rees & wife Joan (?). It is rumoured that George was the result of a liaison between David and their housemaid. This resulted in family disagreements regarding his share of the inhertience :o