Author Topic: Veterinary Surgeon mid 1800's  (Read 6931 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Veterinary Surgeon mid 1800's
« on: Friday 28 January 05 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone know what the training etc to become a vet in the 19th century entailed. I have a relative who is listed in 1871 as a veterinary surgeon. He seems to have moved around the country a lot and a rootschat member suggested that might be a feature of the job? I was also wondering whether anyone knew how/if  one could find records of any training etc (that is of course assuming there was training involved?)
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Veterinary Surgeon mid 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 05 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi AH,

Found the following on Google:

1844 -RCVS was formed after the Royal Charter was granted. Veterinary practice became a profession distinguished by the title "veterinary surgeon".

at the following site  http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=89683

Hope that helps!

tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link. I have been to the rcvs site a few times but they dont seem to have much on their history other than the page you gave me the link for  :(
I tried sending their library department an e-mail asking whether they published/kept list of veterinary surgeons but no one replied  :( :(
All a bit frustrating....especially as they were founded such a long time ago....I keep thinking there must be more information somewhere!?!
Well, thanks again for looking.....any other information/hints/ideas always welcome
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 20:33 GMT (UK) »
In desperation you could always ring your local vet and ask if he/she has any ideas??

tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline supernan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 05 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps.
RCVS Library and Information Service,
Belgravia House,
62-64 Horseferry Road,
London SW1P 2AF

They will look up any names (for a small fee) and send you details of when and where they qualified. I also got dates of death and where an obituary appeared.
Nichols Buckinghamshire
Rowe Devon
Daw/Dawe Devon and Cornwall
Byrne London
Murray Ireland
Sawle Cornwall
Spry Cornwall
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Unearthedgwyny

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi. Many years since this post first appeared.  My ancestor also listed as Veterinary Surgeon in 1841 census.  Did you find out anything? Thanks.