Author Topic: Jane Younger (nee Hunter)  (Read 56967 times)

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane Younger (nee Hunter)
« on: Sunday 31 August 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
In a family history done in 1889 it states that Jane Younger was alive.  She was born in 1792 and on 1881 census was aged 88. She was the daughter of James Hunter.
I have checked Scotlands people and can find no trace of her death listed. Her husband was George Younger, Brewer (of Youngers Brewery) and he was buried in Alloa Churchyard when he died in 1853.
Can anyone help please.
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Younger (nee Hunter)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 08 00:37 BST (UK) »
Her death is showing as indexed:

Jean Hunter/Younger, age 97. Death occured in Alloa, CLACKMANNAN.

Monica  :)

Added: Death shows in 1890
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 08 00:41 BST (UK) »
A whopping 15 pages of her last Will & Testament to look at on SP (if your eyes are up to it  8)):

Jane or Jean Younger, 02/08/1890, Mrs, or Hunter, widow of George Younger, brewer in Alloa, d. 08/06/1890 at Nether Carsebridge, Alloa, testate - Inventory; Trust Disposition and Settlement at Alloa Sheriff Court   Refs: SC64/42/18

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 September 08 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

It appears that this is your first foray north of the border?  If so, the SP to which Monica refers is to:

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk    a ppv site - £6 buys you 30 credits which will allow you to download 5 entries - which give exactly the same info as certs.  With the info you have ,will allow for the download of both death entries and then a further 3 downloads. 

The will can be obtained from the same site. - cost of £5.00.  With a will you have to select it.  It goes into a basket and then you have to pay for it seperately.

Regards,   Steve :O)

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
Monica and Steve, thank you both so much for your invaluable help.  I have been doing Fam History for over 25 years, but had a mental block when inputting only Jane and not trying variants as I usually do. What a wally!
I have a subscription for SP as I have been looking into the extensive Younger Family on and off for a while.  My mother was a Younger distantly related (but on the poor side!) to the Brewers.  Her gt grandfather James, a Joiner, migrated south, married a girl from  Welshpool and settled in Brikenhead where he and his family remained.
Many thanks once again
Angela
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 08 22:36 BST (UK) »
After stumbling upon this thread by accident - I decided to register.

With my interest in the local brewing tradition I have been researching the Youngers of Alloa - and the family connections with other Scottish breweries.

I'm thinking that George (1790-1853) and Jane Younger's (died1890) son James (1818-1868) became head of the Alloa brewery and married Janet McEwan (1823-1912) sister of (the later) Sir William McEwan (1827-1913) who was to become one of Britain's major beer barons.

Another son, Robert (1820-1901) went to Edinburgh and opened his own brewery there.

I am in correspondence with members of both the Alloa and Edinburgh branches of the family - as well as a member of the McEwan-Younger branch.

I'd be happy to help.

The former Meadow Brewery, which included the family home in that period, still survives in Alloa, now converted into flats.

Offline Lorrie21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 September 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!  Just like macalloa, I too have just stumbled over this chatroom by accident.  I am also quite interested in part of the Youngers family history... as I have a few Blelochs in our family tree who married Youngers.  There were two sisters Mary and Jean who married brothers in 1789.  I also have a child of one of these marrying his cousin.. also a Bleloch.  This Bleloch family farmed in Clackmannan.  If anyone can give me more information to this, or indeed the Youngers who were born to those marriages, I would be most grateful.  Many thanks for putting in the photo of the family home... great to see old buildings being restored.  Looking forward to hearing from you... Lorrie

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 September 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
Lorrie21.

I'm no genealogist (did I spell it correctly ?) so please bear with me. The male line of the Youngers quoted followed their fathers as head of the brewery, although not always the eldest sons - I don't have much info on any "missing" sons.

Mary Bleloch (died 1837) married James Younger (1763-1809) in 1789, his father George (1722-1788) had started the family brewing business circa 1764.

Their son George (1790-1853) married Jane Hunter (1792-1890) in 1816.

Their son James (1818-1868) married Janet McEwan (1823-1912) in 1850. His younger brother Robert (1820-1901) moved to Edinburgh and founded his own brewery there in 1854.

Janet's brother was William McEwan who founded the renowned Fountainbridge brewery in Edinburgh - of McEwan's Export fame.

James and Janet had 5 sons and 1 daughter - I have a photo, circa 1858, of Janet and 4 of the boys (the youngest was then unborn) and the girl. This generation, great grandchildren of Mary Bleloch, brought the Younger family to national prominence.

George (1851-1929) became 1st Viscount Leckie - lots of information via 'Google' search engine, or here

http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/dnb/37082.html

His younger brother William became managing director of William McEwan's (his maternal uncle) brewery in Edinburgh in 1886 and guided it into becoming one of the biggest brewing concerns in the UK.

Here is McEwan's background -

http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/dnb/50416.html

Their younger brother James settled in St.Andrews and gifted the Younger Hall to the university.

The youngest brother Robert became a very prominent legal figure, later Baron Blanesburgh.

Would you like me to post the photo mentioned above ?

Offline Lorrie21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Macalloa for that information.  Your link to the oxforddnb.com has been very useful too!

Mary and Jean Bleloch were two sister who married two of the Younger brothers... Mary married James Younger and Jean married George Younger.  However George Younger died at an early age, and his children were brought up by their grandparents from the Bleloch side on the farm.

Mary and Jean were children of John Bleloch and Margaret Hunter.  I don`t know if you are from the area yourself, but their family farmed the farm of Gartgreenie over many years. 

I have just been on holiday to Scotland and enjoyed the countryside where the farms are in Clackmannanshire.

If it is no trouble to yourself, I would love to see a photo of Mary Blelochs g-granchildren. 

I hope it isnt too much to ask whether you also have any photos of the gravestones at Alloa.  Mary Bleloch is also buried there amongst the Youngers!

Best wishes for now Lorrie21